Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unhappy WW Monk - that OP class that somehow nobody wants to play with (PvP)

Is it just me or do others encounter the same problem when looking for teams or other players to play arena (or even RBG) with? Everybody and his grandmother complains about how OP Monks are (mostly RoP related), but when you ask them, if you can join their team, nobody is interested all of a sudden. Maybe I just smell funny, but I think having reached rank 10 amongst the Monks on my whole Realmpool should be enough to get atleasts some attention, but no, spamming mah chat macro all day with no success. Stupid me, should have just rolled a Hunter I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to RBG's most teams prefer having one monk, which is usually a Mistweaver. There's also the fact that some people still don't know monks well and whether or not they are supposed to be good, plus theres the fact that caster>melee usually for RBG's.
    "Far left is communism, far right is Anarchy, be aware that you do not stray to far either way”
    "If we are confronted with differences in opinion, the chemicals that are released in the brain are the same ones that try to ensure our survival in dangerous situations."

10+ Year Old Account
    Overpowered 1 vs 1 maybe? I only have my monk to level 31, so I'm no expert on the class really, but looking at their spellbook, I can't see what they give that some of the other melee classes can't do better when it comes to group utility. I'm pretty much talking out of my ass here, but if that's how I see it, I'm sure that is how others who don't know much about the class see it too, as ghostnet alluded to. But really, it isn't hard to read a spellbook and have an idea what the class can bring for your team.

Deleted
    Well, to be honest I play a ww monk and I wouldn't take myself into a RBG (as dps) as long I have another melee class. PvP is about changing targets quickly AND burst them down. Since we need time to prepare our burst (Tigereye Brew) and we don't have any group/raid related features, I wouldn't invite myself..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by weR-muh View Post
    Well, to be honest I play a ww monk and I wouldn't take myself into a RBG (as dps) as long I have another melee class. PvP is about changing targets quickly AND burst them down. Since we need time to prepare our burst (Tigereye Brew) and we don't have any group/raid related features, I wouldn't invite myself..
    A problem Blizzard fail to acknowledge :/

RBG isn't even my main concern here, since we are pretty much in the same boat as paladins. The only difference here, they have a spec that people actually whant to play with (holy) while monk seems really undesirable for most teams, except maybe 5's with mw spec, but even then it sucks to find teams. Just got turned down for 5's (as heal) by some 1750 acm tard, even though he was looking for a monk and there are probably just 2-3 other mw monks above me on my realmpool. People are just clueless it seems.

i tried a little bit of ww pvp 2on2 with a resto or disc. well....i kinda suck. i'm eating a huge CC chain and my healer dies or my burst is not that big to kill one enemy in that TB, trinket, cc-that-healer, time. the support is nice. like rop for my mate, or tiger's lust for him. FoF - i love it. but i think we are not having enough burst to get picked.
    13/13

Monk

Quote Originally Posted by siccora View Post
    i tried a little bit of ww pvp 2on2 with a resto or disc. well....i kinda suck. i'm eating a huge CC chain and my healer dies or my burst is not that big to kill one enemy in that TB, trinket, cc-that-healer, time. the support is nice. like rop for my mate, or tiger's lust for him. FoF - i love it. but i think we are not having enough burst to get picked.
    Ugh. Dps/healer 2s is just . . . frustrating. I would recommend going double dps with another hybrid. It's more fun to lose quickly than win after 20 minutes.

The buildup to our burst is the major problem. Xuen helps, but his damage is spread over his lengthy duration, not to mention that his crackling tiger lightning is dispellable and breaks CC.

Our biggest assets are our short cooldown CC and ability to maintain uptime on targets. However, our CC is hamstrung by the positioning requirements. The uptime on targets also doesn't mean much when we have a hard time pressuring against heals outside of TeB/Xuen.

Since it takes TeB about a minute or so to stack, Ive been blowing my On Use trink right off the bat. Trink>Expel>RSK to start off with some decent pressure. Its not much, but it does help. By the time TeB is juiced, my trink is off cd, and Im ready to burst.

Rbgs...perception is reality...and ww is perceived as a weak class. Its a shame too, bc we can contribute greatly if given the chance. Ive stopped trying to get groups on oque. I just make my own rbgs now and go from there.

Deleted
    WW monk > melee
    WW monk < ranged

Monks are REALLY effective against rogues and warriors, pretty average against other melee and totally gibed by any mage/hunter/spriest who is not totally retarded.

Also, don't expect ww monks to be invited into rbgs. Rbgs are about stacking destro locks, healers and the odd dk target caller.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can utilize your mobility and play smart you should be OK. In some cases leg sweep is better than RoP and don't underestimate transendance...I can't tell you how many monks I've never seen use it.
    Instead of waiting for TeB to reach full stacks theres no reason not to use it sooner to build up that pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by thebusiness View Post
    If you can utilize your mobility and play smart you should be OK. In some cases leg sweep is better than RoP and don't underestimate transendance...I can't tell you how many monks I've never seen use it.
    Instead of waiting for TeB to reach full stacks theres no reason not to use it sooner to build up that pressure.
    bingo, I will often use 5 stacks in between waiting for Xuen and team mates burst to come off, its an easy way to consistently keep damage higher

---------- Post added 2013-05-22 at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post
    WW monk > melee
    WW monk < ranged

Monks are REALLY effective against rogues and warriors, pretty average against other melee and totally gibed by any mage/hunter/spriest who is not totally retarded.

Also, don't expect ww monks to be invited into rbgs. Rbgs are about stacking destro locks, healers and the odd dk target caller.
    Hunters are fairly easy, seeing as we are damn near unkiteable, usually for the zoo, i'll pop ToK, and if i'm feeling a bit pressured maybe throw down my heals and disarm them, apart from that, no big deal really.

Shadow Priests are much easier now, and Mages are.. well, I hate Fire, put it that way.
    Last edited by willtron; 2013-05-22 at 12:56 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

In arena's we do okay, i haven't myself have had much time to play this season but ive got 150+ games played this season.
    We do alright in 2's, the most powerfull setup ive found is resto druid & ww.

As for Rbg's we don't bring much to the table.
    my guild liked the fact i could snatch the flag in eots before any other could.
    But the graveyards aint lifted anymore. As for ROP mistwaevers bring that, they even got Nimble brew now..
    We do quite sustained dmg, wich is out biggest plus. as of now, we lack something to bring.
    I've been wondering wether Zen meditation could be reworked to as where we can use it and still fight on.
    That would be very handy.. maybe even alittle op.
    Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

WW monk > melee
    WW monk < ranged

ww is great vs ranged..

10+ Year Old Account
    WW monk > melee
    WW monk < ranged

Will have to disagree here. Most ranged even mages(just wait till they blow cd's) I have pretty good fights against. The worst opponent I faced was and Enh shaman who blew me up like there was no tomorrow. WW imo are in the middle playing field we are strong in some areas but weak in others.

I think the discussion went a little off topic here, since I didn't want this thread to become about what we can and can not do well.

I intended to ask people if they face the same situations where people complain about ww monks beeing very strong while at the same time refuse to play with one.

I think the main problem is, that we need to team up with another dd that brings some decent cc to the table, but the classes in question just work better with someone else like a rogue, dk, warrior, whatever.

Two factors come into play here.

1. Melee in general is having a hard time in bgs. Monks especially because all of Their strengths in a bg have been taken away (fast flag carrying, orb carrying etc.) We are also not good in group battles which is mostly what rbgs are about.

2. No one knows how to be a good ww. Seriously, I see no ww monks in random bgs, and everyone usually gawks at me when I rise to the top of damage and kills.

The odds are just stacked against us, but that's also the reason I started playing a ww monk... They are a lot like spriests were at one time, a difficult to master underdog class that made the player stand out when they did a good job.

I would love to do rbgs though, since Arena is quickly becoming irrelevant.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure MW is a sort after class for RBG's, the AoE healing output is right up there with anyone and RoP and Revival are nice CD's. WW is going to struggle for a spot in an RBG because they are not a lock or a DK but saying that, I am always top or close to it in BG's when I run them as WW, so we aren't far off, but will never get the spots until the monk community gains a bit more respect in general (through population and skill).

As for arena, I feel like 5.3 has done alot for both specs, MW no longer have to sit in endless chains of CC thanks to Nimble Brew and as they are already very tricky characters to get on and stay on, they are pretty strong all round if played well. WW getting a damage buff when they are already pushing out some nice pressure is great and with the resi change, gemming for full agi/pvp power will mean that we should be capable of strong pressure outside of CD's and some pretty nasty burst in it (I am at 47% unbuffed on brew atm in less than full Tyranical gear), add to that the fact that WW monks have some pretty sick peels, makes them strong.

On topic, if you are relying on trade for teams then you will have to deal with alot of ignorance and as monks are the newest class around most people still don't have a clue what they bring. Also for some reason the monk population still hasn't really recovered from the fact that monks weren't totally OP and required some skill to play when they launched unlike DK's which were demi gods. It will take time for perceptions to change unless monks reach a point of OPness (yes I just made that word up) where everyone is forced to take notice of them. Until then, good luck trying to change peoples minds, you will just have to do it one person at a time and hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Cjeska View Post
    I think the discussion went a little off topic here, since I didn't want this thread to become about what we can and can not do well.

I intended to ask people if they face the same situations where people complain about ww monks beeing very strong while at the same time refuse to play with one.

I think the main problem is, that we need to team up with another dd that brings some decent cc to the table, but the classes in question just work better with someone else like a rogue, dk, warrior, whatever.
    You need to join a PVP guild that does RBGs all week long. This will resolve the issue you have of trying to find and being rejected by a PUG group. Have them trial you and if they see you are good, then you will have a permanent spot in the group. If you are really serious, you could also transfer to a top PVP server to find these things.
    my2cents

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Two factors come into play here.

1. Melee in general is having a hard time in bgs. Monks especially because all of Their strengths in a bg have been taken away (fast flag carrying, orb carrying etc.) We are also not good in group battles which is mostly what rbgs are about.

2. No one knows how to be a good ww. Seriously, I see no ww monks in random bgs, and everyone usually gawks at me when I rise to the top of damage and kills.

The odds are just stacked against us, but that's also the reason I started playing a ww monk... They are a lot like spriests were at one time, a difficult to master underdog class that made the player stand out when they did a good job.

I would love to do rbgs though, since Arena is quickly becoming irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdrood View Post
    You need to join a PVP guild that does RBGs all week long. This will resolve the issue you have of trying to find and being rejected by a PUG group. Have them trial you and if they see you are good, then you will have a permanent spot in the group. If you are really serious, you could also transfer to a top PVP server to find these things.
    my2cents

Nope. You will not get trial'd unless you are with very friendly players, and most pvpers are stuck up douche bag jerk offs even those that are part of your guild. The only difference is that those in your guild are more likely to laugh at racist jokes.
    Good luck.