Page 4 of 173 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It definitely shows promise. I've been looking for a sci-fi series to pick up for a while. Looks like this will be it.

Also, Ron Glass!

Watched it and i gotta say i love sci-fi, i love the universe of these superheroes. But the acting was terrible, i hope they shape that up for next episode.

Deleted
    To those complaining about the cheesy lines. Have you ever read, or seen, a comic book?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    To those complaining about the cheesy lines. Have you ever read, or seen, a comic book?
    or a Joss Whedon show , that kind of dialog is sorta his thing, slightly cheesy, pretty funny and DRIPPING with references (both self and pop culture.)
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Ever heard of "lost in translation"?

What works well in one media does not necessarily transfer well to other media. Also, the level of cheese in the main Marvel comics (other than perhaps Spiderman and the very very old Fantastic Four series) is low. DC Comics is another matter... but who admits to having read DC (*)!

For example, while I'm no media student, it seems obvious that in a comic every moment is a highlight, necessarily you are looking to punch the user with *something* in every single box. So, one-liners and obvious punchlines for almost everything would work very well there.

By contrast, in acting and moving pictures (lol) with real people, you are trying to convince the audience of the reality of the situation, i.e. in most cases, actually put them inside the story. Using shitty conversation, loose plot holes, characters who seem one-sided, random gimmicks that come out of nowhere with no explanation, etc. is not conducive to good TV or movie, especially TV since they often have the time across a series to explain and fill out much more than in a movie.

Also, people's expectations for sci-fi have risen a lot since the 00's when previously you were lucky to get a decent sci-fi show once a decade, now it happens much more regularly.

The odd and very successful in-between, of course, is Anime where there is a ton more flexibility between the two media. But Western TV is NOT anime...

The only excuse here is that it would have been best to look closer at the credits and understand it is a Whedon show (the guy known for Buffy the Vampire Slayer), thus change or lower your expectations.

(*) Something odd is that Marvel Entertainment only seems to make movies of the cheesiest parts of their huge portfolio of characters and tales, while DC makes movies of their most serious characters.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-09-28 at 05:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far I think its okay. didnt super enjoy it but I will continue watching, mainly because its a Marvel tie in...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    seen an advert for it...looks a lot like torchwood but for the marvel universe >.<

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I watched it on channel4 here in the UK, and I have to say some of the humour was a bit annoying but I enjoyed some jokes. I felt the show wasn't too great to start with, and they just tied in way too much stuff with the MCU, and it felt annoying at times (the Iron Man 3 plot point, really?). And the interrogation scene seemed too reminiscent of the Black Widow/Loki moment in The Avengers. I might continue to watch it, but I felt a bit underwhelmed, to be honest.

Both of my roommates liked it. This might be our fall show for the year.

First ep was okay, I'll watch the second tonight.

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to put in some super humans to get me to stick around. Or at the very least, pay up for Don Cheadle and let me see War Machine blow some shit up. He already has a TV show and I doubt Showtime is paying that well.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    First Episode was not as good as it was hyped up to be, yet not as bad as it could have been.

out of my normal Tuesday night shows, I will proberbly watch the NCIS's and SOA before M.A.S.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    They need to put in some super humans to get me to stick around.
    The lack of superhumans is the entire POINT of the show. The idea of the show is that even in a world with aliens, supersoldiers, physical gods, mutants, and good samaritans wearing nuclear-powered battle suits saving little old ladies, (relatively) ordinary humans still matter and can make a difference.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    The lack of superhumans is the entire POINT of the show. The idea of the show is that even in a world with aliens, supersoldiers, physical gods, mutants, and good samaritans wearing nuclear-powered battle suits saving little old ladies, (relatively) ordinary humans still matter and can make a difference.
    I think there was one episode of My Little Pony about that. Didn't need an entire show for just that point though. ;P

But is there only four episodes planned for season 1?
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-10-02 at 09:15 AM.

Nice little guest appearance in last nights episode.

I still love Skye. She can do stuff, too! :P

Deleted
    Ok, second episode had a real story, some character backfill and development, almost no cheese plus some good comedy moments and a nice appearance!

Much better than the first episode. So, my hopes are raised somewhat higher.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Are you kidding me, lol? You are comparing almost certainly the highest ever rated sci-fi TV show (amazingly even more than Battlestar Galactica and Heroes) with ONE episode of this ... borderline garbage?

Think you better hold your horses and watch a few more episodes before praising it from the rooftops!
    Is Heroes that good to be up with Firefly, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    It definitely shows promise. I've been looking for a sci-fi series to pick up for a while. Looks like this will be it.

Also, Ron Glass!
    Same, I need something other then Big Bang Theory (on S4 atm) to watch. Futurama, Modern Family, American Dad, Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who and Family Guy aren't on air atm so blargh :/
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    second episode was alot better than the first in my opinion.
    Hi

For episode 2 I liked how the events from episode 1 carried on. I also liked the "team building" focus of the episode as they each have their own little issues. I'm still not quite sold on the team but they are growing on me. I love the look of the plane as it's very sleek but I want a fish tank! A couple of surprises near the end which were really well done.

Overall, not the best TV on the air right now but it has a lot of promise.