Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Willow Rosenger vs Dr Strange

So by the end of the Buffy series Willow Rosenberg may have become the most powerful witch in the buffy universe. She literally turned all potential slayers into slayers. When she went dark before that she could've easily killed Buffy and almost ended the world.

Is she a stronger magic user than Dr Strange? I fell like she could easily drain whatever source of magic he has.

It would be an interesting magic fight to watch.

Edit: please excuse the spelling error in the thread title.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Entirely different rules of magic in each universe. Although reading up on her powers, that she's able to heal from injuries including apparently a partial lobotomy, that might put her ahead of Strange, as he's never really had great regenerative powers. He is more subtle though, so if he had an ambush planned, he could perhaps pull something off.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So by the end of the Buffy series Willow Rosenberg may have become the most powerful witch in the buffy universe. She literally turned all potential slayers into slayers. When she went dark before that she could've easily killed Buffy and almost ended the world.

Is she a stronger magic user than Dr Strange? I fell like she could easily drain whatever source of magic he has.

It would be an interesting magic fight to watch.

Edit: please excuse the spelling error in the thread title.
    It's not a fair competition. Dr. Strange fights multiversal threats. Willow fights vampires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well forgoing the obvious differences for where they exist, I'll table that for now and base my argument on what is known.

My pick right off the top is going to be Dr Strange.

My Argument, is that while Willow Rosenberg is a very powerful which according to the Buffyverse even there that power is never really established against anything else, or at least not much else.

Giles on borrowed Magics was able to significantly ware Willow down and this is not the only instance where she used her powers and almost immediately required a recharge. The Truth is putting aside how powerful she is supposed to be at all, the power she does have is very dependent on feeding from others.

Dr Strange on the other hand seems to have the ability to literally fold time/space turning reality on it's head, on top that he has actually gone toe to toe with some very powerful foes. His power source also seems to be rather infinite.

So this one is going to Dr Strange by a mile.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-08-18 at 11:47 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Dr. Strange defeated foes that were in possession of an Infinity stone at the time, so the answer is obvious.

Dr Strange, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    The thing is, we have no way of knowing that. She could be the most powerful witch in the world, or like, nowhere close. Our frame of reference is way too small. The only people I can remember her battling in a magic duel are Amy and Giles (using borrowed magic), and Giles actually beat her.

Doctor Strange on the other hand is the recognized Sorcerer Supreme, routinely battling true multiversal threats. Willow, while a contributor, dudn't exactly do a ton to beat The First. She also proved rather innective against the uber vampires.

While the comparison is certainly apples to oranges, I think we see pretty clearly that they are two spellcasters at very different points in their lives, Willow is still at the "can be drunk with power" stage where everything is marvelous and miraculous, whereas Strange is well beyond that and is more annoyed at what he has to do just to keep reality safe.

I don't think there's any contest here. Willow is still using training wheels and should be far more concerned with what she doesn't know. Strange isn't concerned with new spells, he contemplates the very fabric of magic itself.

I think Dr. Strange’s knowledge would trump Willow.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's not a fair competition. Dr. Strange fights multiversal threats. Willow fights vampires.
    This...
    Strange operates on multi-levels of reality.
    Even at her strongest it wouldn't be much of a contest.
    And after that point she went toe-to-toe with Cordelia who was hosting a major power...but it took a surprise to win.

Strange is considered a "power" according to Eternity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    The thing is, we have no way of knowing that. She could be the most powerful witch in the world, or like, nowhere close. Our frame of reference is way too small. The only people I can remember her battling in a magic duel are Amy and Giles (using borrowed magic), and Giles actually beat her.

Doctor Strange on the other hand is the recognized Sorcerer Supreme, routinely battling true multiversal threats. Willow, while a contributor, dudn't exactly do a ton to beat The First. She also proved rather innective against the uber vampires.

While the comparison is certainly apples to oranges, I think we see pretty clearly that they are two spellcasters at very different points in their lives, Willow is still at the "can be drunk with power" stage where everything is marvelous and miraculous, whereas Strange is well beyond that and is more annoyed at what he has to do just to keep reality safe.

I don't think there's any contest here. Willow is still using training wheels and should be far more concerned with what she doesn't know. Strange isn't concerned with new spells, he contemplates the very fabric of magic itself.

Very well articulated and put. Yeah I love Joss Whedons writing but shit like this kind of annoyed me, I call it the wrestling effect, where if you say you have a champion obviously it has to be "Best in the World" but hell even in that context yeah there is no reference from which to make that determination.

I think a perfect example of this getting out of hand was Highlander the TV Series vs the Films and when they converged both. If you watched the series you were under the impression Duncan was literally one of the last immortals with like hundreds of kills.

But then the film you find out Conner McCloud had only like a couple hundred more than that. But then came this bad guy Kell who happened to have like over 600 or something. However you never even heard of the guy until the film.

My added point is agreeing with you, I think Willow is a bad comparison ignoring anything else. There is nothing in the Buffyverse to substantiate her over all ability.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I think Dr. Strange’s knowledge would trump Willow.
    Nope, this isn't true at all unless you are going by the comic books. Willow has been studying magic for years, Dr Strange in the films a few months. Willow is a naturalist and self taught, Dr Strange is not.

Dr Strange is more powerful, however MSU not necessarily more knowledgeable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probaly Zeref from Fairy tail would be a better match for Dr Strange.

Pretty much immortal being and he could probaly even control Dormammu. Strange can however hop from one dimension to another. However Zeref has control of the time (with fairy heart), so he could probaly just pull him out of dimension by reversing a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm a HUGE WhedonVerse fan. Host a whedon Podcast. Consider Buffy to be one of my top three all time TV shows...

But Willow, even at her strongest, takes a HARD L from full power Doctor Strange. I mean, you mention that she turned all potentials into Slayers... But that was because she was releasing the power of the Scythe. Without that, she wouldn't have been able to do that. And you mention that she nearly destroyed the world, but again, she needed to use the power of that Dark Temple to achieve that.

Meanwhile, at his peak Doctor Strange goes against enemies that do that sort of thing on a daily basis, just to warm up before they do their real evil plans.

Willow is incredibly powerful, by the measure of her universe. But the BuffyVerse is pretty low tier, in terms of overall power.

Now, if we were talking about end of series Macy Vaughn (Charmed) we might have a fight on our hands. But Dark Willow? Nope, sorry.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

But then the film you find out Conner McCloud had only like a couple hundred more than that. But then came this bad guy Kell who happened to have like over 600 or something. However you never even heard of the guy until the film.
    I mean, the first film invalidates anything that came after anyway. At the end of the first film...Connor is the last of the immortals. If there ever was a Duncan Macleod...someone would have had to have taken his head years, decades, or even centuries before that point.

Then the second movie happens...and they retcon the whole thing so that they are actually aliens. Ramirez gets resurrected without any real explanation.

Then there's the TV show which happens in an alternate timeline...because that's the only way Duncan Macleod can even exist. And a whole bunch of new elements are created to go along with that.

Then the third movie happens and we're brought back to the original timeline but everything in the previous movies is hand waved away because the villain was stuck in a time bubble and was therefore "out of play" when Connor received the prize. There's no further mention of the alien origin.

Then there's the fourth movie...which happens in Duncan's timeline. Which, as you mentioned, features a villain that really just comes out of nowhere...despite the tv series introducing the Watchers (no relation to the organizations in the Buffy and Marvel Universes with the same name) who are supposed to be keeping track of all the different immortals and the fact that that this new immortal has a vendetta against Connor which drives him to kill anyone Connor cares about while still amassing power by killing other immortals. Seems like something Connor would have mentioned to Duncan...since he is the last person Connor cares about and also happens to be one of the immortals Kell is targeting anyway. Also, if you watch the trailer for that movie you see Kell doing some crazy magic shit that isn't in the actual movie itself. Like stopping swords in mid air and even cloning himself.

The Highlander franchise is a fucking mess that should never have happened. It was originally always meant to be a "one-and-done" film. I can excuse the TV series...because at least that happens in an alternative timeline...but every thing else is just fucking garbage.

End of Rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Dr. Strange defeated foes that were in possession of an Infinity stone at the time, so the answer is obvious.
    Willow it is!

I agree with the first reply: Different types of magic systems. Also doctor strange has way too many different versions that you'd need to define which one first.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Nope, this isn't true at all unless you are going by the comic books. Willow has been studying magic for years, Dr Strange in the films a few months. Willow is a naturalist and self taught, Dr Strange is not.

I was going by the comics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I was going by the comics.
    Ah ok Gotcha, makes sense then.

Very well articulated and put. Yeah I love Joss Whedons writing but shit like this kind of annoyed me, I call it the wrestling effect, where if you say you have a champion obviously it has to be "Best in the World" but hell even in that context yeah there is no reference from which to make that determination.

I think a perfect example of this getting out of hand was Highlander the TV Series vs the Films and when they converged both. If you watched the series you were under the impression Duncan was literally one of the last immortals with like hundreds of kills.

My added point is agreeing with you, I think Willow is a bad comparison ignoring anything else. There is nothing in the Buffyverse to substantiate her over all ability.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd argue against Dr Strange's "few months" considering he time looped himself for decades (hell, possibly centuries) in his fight with Dormammu, according to the one of the main writers.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

No idea who that is. I'd be more interested in:

Dr. Fate vs. Dr. Strange.
    John Constantine vs. Dr. Strange.
    Hell, even Zatanna vs. Dr. Strange.

Medivh vs. Dr. Strange
    Saruman the White vs. Dr. Strange
    Lord Voldemort vs. Dr. Strange

Oz The Great and Powerful vs. Dr. Strange.