Deleted

after becoming an uncle, I will also be a godfather...

So my brother is getting a son around early September. I was the only sibling to my brother, so I automatically became what's known in Dutch as a "suikernonkel", loosely translated "sugar uncle". it has nothing to do with a sugar daddy or something like that. it means a richer uncle who helps support the child.

a few hours ago, I was visiting my brother and his girlfriend (they're not getting married) with my parents, and my brother asked me if i wanted to be the child's godfather, which I accepted. they're also going to make the girlfriend's brother godfather as well. so 2 godfathers, no godmother. as you can see, I changed my avatar to suit the occasion (I was formely Scrooge McDuck, and nzall before that).

I'm not quite sure what my role as a godparent is though. the Catholic beliefs in Belgium are very low and I'm not sure if my brother is going to baptize or confirm the child. what does a godfather do? what is he needed for?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
    So my brother is getting a son around early September. I was the only sibling to my brother, so I automatically became what's known in Dutch as a "suikernonkel", loosely translated "sugar uncle". it has nothing to do with a sugar daddy or something like that. it means a richer uncle who helps support the child.

a few hours ago, I was visiting my brother and his girlfriend (they're not getting married) with my parents, and my brother asked me if i wanted to be the child's godfather, which I accepted. they're also going to make the girlfriend's brother godfather as well. so 2 godfathers, no godmother. as you can see, I changed my avatar to suit the occasion (I was formely Scrooge McDuck, and nzall before that).

I'm not quite sure what my role as a godparent is though. the Catholic beliefs in Belgium are very low and I'm not sure if my brother is going to baptize or confirm the child. what does a godfather do? what is he needed for?
    I think as a godparent you are responsible for the child if any harm were to come to the parents, or if they somehow became unable to take care of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    As above poster said, you might become responsible for the child incase something happens to the parents, however I would also see it as someone who teaches the child a few tidbits of what they need to know growing up. Mostly small stuff though, such as riding a bike

10+ Year Old Account
    Godparents are basically highly trusted individuals close to the family.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

YOU'RE NZALL? And Scrooge McDuck? Scrooge Mcduck was nzall? You should have told me, I didn't know that was you in Wish thread.

When your brother and his GF die, the kid goes with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking care of the baby, IE the parents die or something like that. =)

The role of the godparent is to help the child lead a Christian life. If that's not your particular cup of tea, just do your best to make that child a good person as they grow up. That's essentially the gist of it.

Here's a quote from Canon Law:

"Insofar as possible, one to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who is to assist an adult in Christian initiation, or, together with the parents, to present an infant at the baptism, and who will help the baptized to lead a Christian life in harmony with baptism, and to fulfill faithfully the obligations connected with it"

Edit:

I almost forgot, Congratulations!
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2013-05-18 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Forgot the most important part

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    YOU'RE NZALL? And Scrooge McDuck? Scrooge Mcduck was nzall? You should have told me, I didn't know that was you in Wish thread.

When your brother and his GF die, the kid goes with you.
    you're going to see that a few more times in the future. it's fun for 3 reasons: 1) to confuse people; 2) to process recent events better; 3) to confuse you even more, Blue... I don't hate you, it's just that you've become my go-to teasing target for this semester.