Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's the state of classes in endgame raiding?

I want to resubscribe and get back into endgame raiding, but it's been a while. I have high leveled characters for every class, so I have options, and I was wondering what the general state of different specs are for raiding these days? Are there any specs I should absolutely avoid or any that I should definitely consider, in the past I was usually melee dps and sometimes ranged, although I have healed and tanked a bit on the side and I'm open to trying new things.

Deleted
    Ranged dps is heavily favored over melee, that said, melees still work.

FotM is probably:

Disc priest / Hpala as healers
    Brm / Prot Pala as tanks
    Rogue as melee
    Warlock/mage/boomkin/spriest as ranged

I would say just avoid healers as good as you can. Every tank and healer class is viable. Some are just more favored than others. Pretty much impossible to have a good 10 man setup without a disc priest for example.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you wanna tank take paladin or monk.
    if you wanna damage take warlock, mage or rogue.
    If you wanna heal take diszi-priest or paladin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post

FotM is probably:

Brm / Prot Pala as tanks
    Rogue as melee

I would say just avoid healers as good as you can. Every tank and healer class is viable. Some are just more favored than others. Pretty much impossible to have a good 10 man setup without a disc priest for example.
    Almost every boss works with monk/pala healing...nice synergy between the two. Whether I'm healing with a disc/monk [as a holydin] doesn't matter much to me; slight preference towards the monk actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    This is pretty accurate. At least if we're talking about desirable Heroic progression classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oggyowl View Post
    Almost every boss works with monk/pala healing...nice synergy between the two. Whether I'm healing with a disc/monk [as a holydin] doesn't matter much to me; slight preference towards the monk actually.
    works =/= best

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Trufax 10/char

Do not even think about playing a hunter.

I'd go for a hybrid class to give yourself options- probably Paladin, since their healing and tanking is very strong right now. However, Ret is a bit lacking as far as I know. Priest would be another strong choice.

Deleted
    Current FotM:

Ranged: Warlock
    Melee: Rogue
    Tank: Paladin
    Healer: Debatable, probably Paladin

Deleted
    Ranged:
    Warlock and mage.
    Both were GROSSLY overpowered for the entire first tier of the expansion (20-30% better than other classes), and warlocks are still kings. Mage is a bit more in line now, but still easily the 2nd best caster.

Tanks:
    Protpaladin and Brewmaster monk.

Healers:
    Disc has been insane the entire expansion so far. Absorption mechanics are always going to be strong, so this is your safe healer choice.
    Paladin and Mistweaver are both great as well

Melee:
    Rogue is the strongest melee class with the highest damage, best utility and survivability. They are nearly immortal in raids thanks to Feint (permanent shield wall).

Depends on what kind of raiding you want.

From the top of my head, in cutting edge progress, currently hunters, warriors, death knight and resto druids are in a bad spot. Death knights do okay-ish now because of their festerblight crap, but other than that they don't really compare to rogues. Warlocks and moonkins are always wanted, especially warlocks, and mages are desirable as well. Resto shaman are mana batteries at best and useless at worst, so a 25 raid usually brings like 1 resto shaman for this, and 10mans will avoid them. Rdruids are avoided in general.
    Tankwise, death knights are in a very sore spot, with prot paladins at the top. Most 25 mans will prefer 2 protdins, even 10 would if that won't give gearing issues.

But again, this is 'cutting edge'. The majority of heroic guilds that progress slowly but surely will pretty much take anything in any combination, because at that level, class balance is actually really decent. At that point what matters most is individual skill, which will vary widely between raiders. At top end raiding, where individual skill is equal between all raiders, the above differences really show.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post

FotM is probably:

Brm / Prot Pala as tanks
    Rogue as melee

When has that not been the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post

From the top of my head, in cutting edge progress, currently hunters, warriors, death knight and resto druids are in a bad spot. Death knights do okay-ish now because of their festerblight crap, but other than that they don't really compare to rogues. Warlocks and moonkins are always wanted, especially warlocks, and mages are desirable as well. Resto shaman are mana batteries at best and useless at worst, so a 25 raid usually brings like 1 resto shaman for this, and 10mans will avoid them. Rdruids are avoided in general.
    Tankwise, death knights are in a very sore spot, with prot paladins at the top. Most 25 mans will prefer 2 protdins, even 10 would if that won't give gearing issues.

But again, this is 'cutting edge'. The majority of heroic guilds that progress slowly but surely will pretty much take anything in any combination, because at that level, class balance is actually really decent. At that point what matters most is individual skill, which will vary widely between raiders. At top end raiding, where individual skill is equal between all raiders, the above differences really show.
    This is a fantastic post and the bolded area is a key point. If there's something you really do or do not want to play, go with what you enjoy. You can keep in mind the "fotm" classes or classes that are generally consistently strong in a variety of roles (such as paladins or priests) to give yourself a little more recruitment desirability.

world of prot paladin and disc priest. brought to you by the united federation of warlocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post

Exactly this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    world of prot paladin and disc priest. brought to you by the united federation of warlocks.
    And sponsored by the rogue council.

@OP If you used to be mostly melee DPS then make a rogue. Feint pretty much removes the traditional setbacks of melee classes.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2013-05-19 at 05:13 PM.

Deleted
    Tank: Protpala > Monk > Guardian Druid > everything else
    Healer: Disc Priest > Holy Paladin > Monk > everything else
    Ranged: Warlock > Boomkin = Mage > Shadow Priest > everything else
    Melee: Rogue > Fury Warrior > everything else

(hint: everything else = actually quite bad and you don't want this classes to have in your raid, at least in 10man)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Fury Warrior
    Really? Everything else I've heard says Warriors are poop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Really? Everything else I've heard says Warriors are poop.
    Warriors are not in a very good spot dps wise but every raid needs atleast 1 so if you don't have a prot warr you need a fury warr for the utility, banners + hp shout is just to much to pass up on