Thread: IRS Scandal

Page 1 of 44
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Formerly of the People's Republic of Illinois

IRS Scandal

This has gotten very interesting this week.

First this: http://spectator.org/archives/2013/0...rs-the-smoking

Today this: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,6645565.story

Reminder to any "low-level" IRS employees that were involved with this, the last one to the US Attorney's office does the most time. The first one cuts the best deal.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Another scandal by another lousy president.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Lousy seems to be the best scenario for this Administration.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post

Reminder to any "low-level" IRS employees that were involved with this, the last one to the US Attorney's office does the most time. The first one cuts the best deal.
    And now a lead IRS individual actually took the 5th in front of a Congressional hearing today...this just gets better and better.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/politi...html?hpt=hp_t3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post

Citizens United says hi
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    This gave me a pretty good laugh the other night
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...-trevor-potter

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    This gave me a pretty good laugh the other night
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...-trevor-potter
    I love colbert, and the Tea Party groups are wallowing in their own paranoia and conspiracies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockula View Post
    Somebody in the white house needs to get a blow job in the oval room ASAP or the republicans' heads are going to explode with all these non-scandals.

Deleted
    What's this...The third thread on this same shit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Somebody in the white house needs to get a blow job in the oval room ASAP or the republicans' heads are going to explode with all these non-scandals.
    I think the fact that there could be up words of 30% of foreclosure the result of bank error and the Dow setting records on a weekly basis, will keep these going for a while. Lets see how highly 4 dead Americans as a result of drone strikes as of '09 will rank here.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I think the fact that there could be up words of 30% of foreclosure the result of bank error and the Dow setting records on a weekly basis, will keep these going for a while. Lets see how highly 4 dead Americans as a result of drone strikes as of '09 will rank here.
    haha, yep. Grasping for straws.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha, yep. Grasping for straws.
    I think it's more than that. According to local fox affiliate (q13 Seattle) Obama's approval rating has not changed segnificantly as a result of these. I think smearing Obama, is secondary to keeping the foreclosure and Dow news under reported. Obama isn't going to run for president again, the economy will. We can't have the Obama apointed Elizabeth Warren condemning the banking industry for arbitrarily setting settlement pay out, while the Dow is setting records weekly. That doesn't just help this administration, it hurts the entire point of a self governing banking industry.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Republican political organization applying for tax free status and posing as social groups. Want a shovel to dig yourself out of this much bullshit?

Lets be real here, this has nothing to do with Democrat/Republican. If anything, the only reason this is "unexpected" is because people don't think Obama is on the same level as Nixon, and that's only because of a good PR campaign.

Politicians are politicians; using the IRS to harass/prosecute people (political organization OR individual citizens) is nothing new or surprising. This will pan out into nothing - I've been tired of hearing people yell about impeachment since Clinton, Bush, and now Obama. It's a joke. The only thing you should take from stories like this is that the IRS sucks, and if there is a political group that supports dismantling/restructuring it, you should vote for them. (Ron Paul, for example)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Republican political organization applying for tax free status and posing as social groups. Want a shovel to dig yourself out of this much bullshit?
    Unless there was someone dressed like a pimp doing it, no one cares if IRS is investigating potential fraud. The government needs to focus more on groups like ACORN. /sarcasm

---------- Post added 2013-05-22 at 09:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Lets be real here, this has nothing to do with Democrat/Republican. If anything, the only reason this is "unexpected" is because people don't think Obama is on the same level as Nixon, and that's only because of a good PR campaign.
    Nixon wire taped the Oval Office. Something that has been legal as of the Patriot Act.

---------- Post added 2013-05-22 at 09:07 PM ----------

Ron Paul, for example
    Do you remember the big scandal with the reporter getting into it with Ron Paul? If you watch it, before it gets heated. The issue was the fact that Ron Paul was siding with Republicans in voting against a payroll tax cut. I'm sure you can take a wild guess on what his stance was on Bush tax cuts. There was also only one person who voted against giving Bush the authority to go to war as of 9/11, that wasn't Ron Paul. Gary Johnson is the guy you want Ron Paul to be. Just sayin'...

15+ Year Old Account

Politicians are politicians; using the IRS to harass/prosecute people (political organization OR individual citizens) is nothing new or surprising. This will pan out into nothing - I've been tired of hearing people yell about impeachment since Clinton, Bush, and now Obama. It's a joke. The only thing you should take from stories like this is that the IRS sucks, and if there is a political group that supports dismantling/restructuring it, you should vote for them. (Ron Paul, for example)
    How is the IRS harassing anyone? They were all granted tax exemptions, mostly due to the fact they have no idea (now post - citizens united) to test to see if the applying org. does not directly/overtly participate in political activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a problem with someone exercising their 5th Amendment right?

I thought conservatives were all about the Bill of Rights and shit.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Do you have a problem with someone exercising their 5th Amendment right?

I thought conservatives were all about the Bill of Rights and shit.
    Civil servants shouldn't be allowed to invoke the 5th amendment when pertaining to the execution of their official duties. But, that's just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is the IRS harassing anyone? They were all granted tax exemptions, mostly due to the fact they have no idea (now post - citizens united) to test to see if the applying org. does not directly/overtly participate in political activities.
    We must conclude that you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. It is a much better option than willful ignorance.

The IRS has ADMITTED that they picked specific political viewpoints to go after. Whether you like a law or tax status is irrelevant. It must be applied evenly, which it wasn't. If they had applied this scrutiny to every group that applied for tax-exempt status there wouldn't be a scandal.