Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

The new talent system, for the better or the worse?

Hello, i have been sitting and thinking about the new talent system since the release of mop. At the start it looked like a good idea, but after a while of testing it out etc. It feels like they have made so it would be easier for new players to start playing. Some might think that is a great idea, but those who have played for a while would understand me.

First of all it makes leveling more boring, cause you will only get a few talents to spec. The new talent system also limits your playstyle roughly, as for pre-mop you could spec alot of different things to fit your character for YOUR own playstyle. From a healer aspect it feels like everyone of the classes are exact the same, except their skill level of course.

What Blizzard has done with the tome of clear mind is great though, but in my opinion they should have invented them into the old talent system, but kept the old talents etc. I would love to hear other peoples opinion about this.

-Justgotnerfed

10+ Year Old Account
    Old one was pretty bad.
    Most of the players used a website to get the best of the best what they could have instead of choosing themself, which makes the talent system pretty much boring.
    New one you can choose yourself what you like most, since they are almost all related to eachother each 3 of each 15 lvls but a little bit different.

I do think that the old system was more enjoyable due if you dinged you had something to look forward to, now you can look forward to something each 15x levels.
    They need to mix old one with new one to make the perfect one in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

If you chose "the wrong" talent, you get called out and called a n00b.
    I disagree, with my warrior i always had my own builds, no one ever called me noob, and yes... I was still at the top of the DPS chart...

These wanna be talents are a nightmare for all of those, like me, that enjoy to tunning gameplay making game more enjoyable... I could skip what doesn't help, charge modifiers in PvE is a good example, bu now a certain crab had an awsome idea of saying, ok we don't want you to skip this...

I was able to play the way i had fun... Now its just a... Lost of time.

No they wouldn't.

-Reach 60, go into raiding, look up the perfect raidspecc on EJ, copy that, done.
    -Reach 70, go into raiding, look up the perfect raidspecc on EJ, copy that, done.
    -Reach 80, go into raiding, look up the perfect raidspecc on EJ, copy that, done.

Well tbh yes you could get called noob. But if you just copied from EJ or whatever site, you were a noob too. Specs were situational be it far less then now obviously. But still at times it took ages for EJ or whatever site to "update" their specs while me and other players already knew what best suited this new raid/tier etc. And then you STILL had minor variables that would still be "the perfect" spec, but suited your playstyle more then "the perfect spec" on sites such as EJ.

Regardless, I liked the old way better (but only marginally) - but I know the new one is better for the game in general.

I personally dislike the new talent system, along-side the automated skill granting and passive earns. Preferred the old system MUCH more to the new we have now, but both have faults. The obvious ones being that the old was notorious for people going for prefabs, while the new is extremely compact and not really expansive. And the new one still has the old talent systems problems; mandatory or gimping yourself abilities. They are very apparent depending on your choice of play (Solo, Dungeon, Raiding, Battleground, Arena, etc.) while others it's just very mix and match (Which is good, but both at least give more abilities to use).

Deleted
    It's basically the same thing, nobody looked forward to getting a mandatory +5% damage talent, now you get passives for free rather than choosing it from a talent tree.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The old style of talent trees was something they worked on for about eight years before they ended up scrapping it. For a first pass, I still believe the new talent system is superior. It certainly needs improvements though. Leveling for somebody completely new might be a bit underwhelming considering you don't get anything big until the talent choices, which are fairly far a part. I've been playing since Vanilla and this is the first expansion that leveling felt very underwhelming. As far as balance and fun interacting with everything, I think it's far more involved though.

As boring as it might be I think they should add another talent trees with moderate passives that you can pick as you level. They will certainly be cookie cutter like the old ones but I think adding choice (even though it's artificial) will make a lot of players feel like they are getting something from a level. Currently it only feels like that every 15 levels, or whatever.

The only old ones I actually liked was the DK trees. Not because of the overpowered talents (well maybe a little) but the fact that you had three flavors of DPS and tanking spread across three trees.

While you can certainly 'math' out the new talent trees, they still aren't remotely close to cookie cutter like the old trees were. Note it's not true of every tier for every class. Some classes have very interesting choices and others have mandatory choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it but it is good they mentioned on the front page that they "might" be adding more rewards for leveling.

I like it. Not having to go to the city everytime you level up is awesome. And for the first time I actually have to change my talents and glyphs.

For much better, and considering the fact they're considering adding more of a reward for every level that doesn't include a talent choice, they're fixing the one "issue" (even though I didn't even consider it an issue) with the new system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Theres just not enough choices, a new talent every 15 levels is meh. I do like that on max you can just swap around them however you like, but still, 3 / tier seems so low amount of choice, specially that everything else is given you automated
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

I stopped playing because of the new talents.

No they wouldn't.

-Reach 60, go into raiding, look up the perfect raidspecc on EJ, copy that, done.
    -Reach 70, go into raiding, look up the perfect raidspecc on EJ, copy that, done.
    -Reach 80, go into raiding, look up the perfect raidspecc on EJ, copy that, done.

Pretty much this, the whole learn your class while leveling thing is BS. If you are not a total nub you can hop on Ej or Noxxic or another website and learn how to spec, glyph, gem, enchant, and play any class/ spec within 20 mins of research. The new talent system just makes that much easier to copy>paste. Used to have to open 2 windows to spec my characters back when there were talents now I just look and go right over and copy them to WOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Pretty much this, the whole learn your class while leveling thing is BS. If you are not a total nub you can hop on Ej or Noxxic or another website and learn how to spec, glyph, gem, enchant, and play any class/ spec within 20 mins of research. The new talent system just makes that much easier to copy>paste. Used to have to open 2 windows to spec my characters back when there were talents now I just look and go right over and copy them to WOW.
    I agree that you can somewhat learn any class in about 10-20min through searching at a mediocre level. I think it's good they made they copy/paste part faster, more time spent on perfecting it. Less time on finding the 6 mindless talents that you MUST have in every situation as X spec.

There's still math involved, and for example, people will still discuss whether AMC or Blink Strikes is a bigger DPS benefit. There's also some no-brainer selections to choose, whether you're pvp / pve, or what role you're playing if you're a hybrid.

So really, you have options, but they're nothing particularly critical. At this point in the game, talents are just an extended glyph system.

Besides, talents being even remotely interesting went away when they changed it so you had to max out 1 tree before putting anything into another. Player and build diversity has never ever been a strong suit of this game, compared to some others.

I mostly hate what they did with all the useful glyphs for a lot of classes. There are literally only like 2 situational DPS increase glyphs for Ret paladins I don't even waste the gold on the extra glyphs for other optional crap.

Pretty much this, the whole learn your class while leveling thing is BS.
    Inorite? Why would an RPG allow you to do such a thing?

No they wouldn't.

Simply incorrect. If you played around with your talents as some people did, you could possibly find something that worked better. If your raid leader gave you shit, you would explain to them why you specced that way. This is also for PvE, PvP is a whole 'nother ball-game. For those of us who like tweaking, the older system was better, 5/5 crit talents (Zzzzz) aside. A reduction in talents, that's ok, but the new talent system really offers nothing for creativity.

-- The talents now seem like an extension of mostly useless and playstyle neutral glyphs.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2013-05-28 at 03:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the old system. Not just just for the multiple choices it gave me (it did actually grant me more real choices than the current one).
    My class also had real differences between its specs, now they are almost completely similar.
    Marksman hunters used to have signature abilities that set them apart from BM/SV.
    -> Silencing shoot, readiness, posthaste
    -> 50 focus on killing blows (aoe/pvp)
    -> A real marked for death; granted unerring vision of the target, it would see a rogue even through cos and vanish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suddently your statement maded me so depressed... Being the main reason they cutted talents the fact they didn't enjoyed to see cookie-cutter builds... And now a statement like your just makes me feel so crap...

Gimme my talents back, screw the no brainners...