Poll: Should Faroese whaling be legal?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Faroese Whaling Controversy

The fishing of long-finned pilot whales has been an established part of Faroese culture for over a thousand years. The practice is in line with both Faroese and international law, yet some groups (such as PETA) have criticized the Faroese tradition. Below I have outlined a few of the main arguments for and against allowing whaling to be continued in the Faroe Islands. What do you think, should whaling be banned in the Faroe Islands?

Arguments For Whaling
    • The vast majority of the Faroese people support keeping whaling legal.
    • Faroese whaling is purely non-commercial, instead being used as a source for food and cultural tradition.
    • Faroese whaling only accounts for about 0.1% of the long-finned pilot whale population.
    • Whaling has been part of Faroese culture for over a thousand years and is an important cultural practice.
    • The whaling is perfectly legal under both Faroese and international law.
    • Legal whaling is regulated by the Faroese government. Banning whaling will cause the practice to go underground, without regard for regulations.
    • The Faroe Islands lack sufficient agricultural development to be self-sustaining without whaling.
    • Whale drives are generally very short and cause the whales little or no suffering.
    • Causing animals unnecessary suffering is against Faroese law, ensuring the whales are killed humanely.

Arguments Against Whaling
    • Whaling may eventually cause long-finned pilot whales to become endangered.
    • The Faroe Islands currently import most of their food, making the whale drives "no longer necessary."
    • Occasionally whale drives go on longer than normal, resulting in the whales "being scared" for long periods of time.
    • Human consumption of long-finned pilot whales may be unhealthy, due to mercury levels in the whale meat and blubber.
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-05-27 at 06:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems ok, these whales don't seem to be in any particular kind of danger, and since the whaling is non-commercial and not widespread, it doesn't seem like it would meaningfully impact this whale population, even over a long period of time

They should leave the whales alone.

I get really annoyed when we as a 'population' start dictating to cultures what is and is not acceptable - especially when said cultures have been managing their own livelihoods for hundreds if not thousands of years.

NONE of the worlds endangered species became endangered while being 'used' by their native predators - it's only until we 'civilized' folks butt in that problems start. One only has to look at the collapse of the tuna and salmon fisheries for examples (Both of these were managed by native populations fine for hundreds of years) The list of species goes on and on.

Leave them be is all I have to say!

I am against commercial whaling, but in this case, it doesn't seem like they are endangering the population in any way. However, I'm not sure that tradition alone is a good reason to continue whaling, particularly when they import most of their food. It just doesn't seem necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    They should leave the whales alone.
    Why should they leave the whales alone?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am biased because I love whales to no end, but at the same time whaling is not inherently wrong. Despite my love for them, how different is hunting them from hunting or raising for slaughter any other animal? If they kill them humanly (humanly not being something insane like cause the whale no pain whatsoever OR ELSE, but do what is realistically and economically reasonable to minimize the suffering of the creature like what we do with cattle or other animals when we slaughter them), then they should be allowed to continue even though it makes me and others personally very sad that the whales die.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Voting in favor because fuck PETA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    I get really annoyed when we as a 'population' start dictating to cultures what is and is not acceptable - especially when said cultures have been managing their own livelihoods for hundreds if not thousands of years.

NONE of the worlds endangered species became endangered while being 'used' by their native predators - it's only until we 'civilized' folks butt in that problems start. One only has to look at the collapse of the tuna and salmon fisheries for examples (Both of these were managed by native populations fine for hundreds of years) The list of species goes on and on.

Leave them be is all I have to say!
    If they Endanger whales I think we should intervene. If not let them be.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

As long as it's monitored by their fisheries authorities and the whale populations aren't in any danger I don't see the harm.

But for some reason I suspect that that is a big "if".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    To be honest, whales are already low in numbers and have problems with the debris humans throw in the oceans... that said, the Faroe Islands have their problem with getting supplies sometimes... I don't know, I'm uncertain, I'm leaning to banning, but know that you're right, banning would only force the issue underground.

Deleted
    The mayans had human sacrifices as part of tradition but those spanish bastards ruined that tradition. Traditions should be respected!

Sarcasm, btw.

---------- Post added 2013-05-27 at 08:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    If they Endanger whales I think we should intervene. If not let them be.
    Japan also hunts whales. How do you tell Japan to fuck off ?! Are you gonna boycott Naruto ?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Voting in favor because fuck PETA.
    Unless you're joking, that's a very mature worldview. "I'm being destructive, so I won't look like a hippie!" Sounds like someone is insecure.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post
    The mayans had human sacrifices as part of tradition but those spanish bastards ruined that tradition. Traditions should be respected!

Sarcasm, btw.

Japan also hunts whales. How do you tell Japan to fuck off ?! Are you gonna boycott Naruto ?!
    Made my night. But realistically im sure the japanese could care less of some anime are boycotted. Fan-service will bring them back. They always do.

Some traditions should be preserved. I doubt they care what the nutters at PETA think.
    Last edited by Deadite; 2013-05-27 at 09:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    dont see it as anyones business but the faroese. its in their waters and isnt a threat to the species. surely there are worst things requiring do goode meddling than this.

Deleted
    Japan also hunts whales. How do you tell Japan to fuck off ?!

Deleted
    It's enshrined in there culture and must have a weighty slice in there life - the impact it has on the species of whale is also negligent, therefor im in favor of allowing them to continue.

However, if the whale species WAS endangered i'd be against them continuing this - at least until the levels replenished themselves once more.

Overall, it's not a terrible situation - but people will still exaggerate it

(P.S im a major animal lover, so you can't portray my view as biased!)

---------- Post added 2013-05-27 at 11:03 AM ----------

Sarcasm, btw.

Withhold all aid, increase military presence in region further (The U.S is doing a grand job of forcing themselves into the Asian region) - legislate embargoes against the nation - and take it to the world stage.

All are ideas, but i seriously doubt politicians will give a single fuck over a whale.

"May eventually become endangered due to it". If a "maybe eventually" is the most extreme thing PETA, who is well known for spouting bullshit, can come up with on it's effect on the species, then hell no. If it's endangered, sure. But our hunting of deer "may eventually" lead them to being endangered. "May eventually" is a bullshit term that basically means "If we go absolutely wild and pay no heed to what we're doing, it's possible that we could, in a few decades, cause some serious damage." and is in no way a reason to a ban the practice of anything.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    [*]The Faroe Islands lack sufficient agricultural development to be self-sustaining without whaling.
    While i agree that the Faroe Islands should be allowed to fish whales as long as they do so responsibly.. This sticks out

Is the Faroe Islands not still a subsidized territory of the Kingdom of Denmark to the tune of ~1600 € per citizen per year? Is that self sufficient?