Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Someone clearly does not understand how an ecosystem works.

I'd love a world where insects and other kinds of bugs didn't exist, and the things that rely on them for food or pollination simply didn't need them any longer, but it's just not the case. I'm not sure what kind of answers you were expecting, if not these rude responses stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    The food chain... Doesn't work like that...
    And then there's the laws of thermodynamics you're forgetting.
    Food chain doesn't work that way? The meteor killed almost everything yet here we are today still in a diverse world so something must have worked.

How am i forgetting thermodynamics? If you magically take out insects yes there's a problem but if they all die and are free food for everything else then where's the violation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    On the contrary, bugs (heteroptera, or so called "true bugs") are an order of insects. People commonly use term bug to label most of terrestrial arthropods, although it is vastly inaccurate.
    Ok so "true bugs" are insects, but in ordinary parlance, "bugs" are any terrestrial arthropod whether or not they are insects. As I am not an entymologist, I will continue to use the term in the way that it is understood by 99% of the populace, since that's how language works.

Besides, it was how I was taught bug vs. insect in elementary school.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-05-28 at 05:13 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    I think people are being over dramatic.

People are forgetting that insects consume energy and with them gone all that energy is now free for everything else to consume. Over time things will 'evolve' and balance out. Yeah some animals will suffer and others will thrive and world will change but it will not end. Earth got hit by a smegging meteor/comet and there's still life. I don't think loosing insects = total destruction of world.

You can manually pollinate plants btw it's not a magic trick insects do.
    You forget to mention the part where your "over time" means much longer than it will take for the entire planet's ecosystem to collapse and most things to die, including most humans, and certainly the end of civilization.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    OP needs to read some biology.

Deleted
    I once read that if all vertebrates died, life would continue on but if all insects died, almost all life would be destroyed.

Kinda sluggish wording, but you get the idea.

Food chain doesn't work that way? The meteor killed almost everything yet here we are today still in a diverse world so something must have worked.
    Insects weren't that affected by that particular mass extinction, and it was their survival that allowed the more stricken creatures to survive as well.
    How am i forgetting thermodynamics? If you magically take out insects yes there's a problem but if they all die and are free food for everything else then where's the violation?
    The violation lies with the implication that insects destroy energy by consuming it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You have that backwards.
    I guess it depends if we're talking in formal or informal terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I cant seem to come up with any reason for insects other than for a food source. Anything that eats insects could just eat something else if they didnt exist. I see no good reason for them to exist as all they do is annoy us. They make our cars dirty, sneak into our homes, destroy our crops, spread diseases, poison us if they are toxic, and are generally an annoyance as they buzz past our ears and fly into our eyes. Why cant we just eradicate all insects? All we would have to do is spray for them like they do near rivers for mosquitos and black flies. They could spray everywhere for all bugs and eliminate them once and for all.
    Lets just spray toxic chemicals everywhere to kill all the insects so all our plants die, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shinjiro View Post
    Is there really a need for humans to exist?
    A far better question that the OP.

---------- Post added 2013-05-28 at 02:03 PM ----------

Earth got hit by a smegging meteor/comet and there's still life
    And ~90% of all species alive at the time were wiped out.

I don't think loosing insects = total destruction of world
    Destruction of the planet itself, of course not, but destruction of the biosphere and our way of life, absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, everything you just said is so selfish, ignorant and completely stupid. I''m sorry but.

I give up
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much everything in our world is connected. remove one specie and the whole balance might go to shit. (Apart from Humans, because let's face it - we're not doing anything good for this planet)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I cant seem to come up with any reason for insects other than for a food source. Anything that eats insects could just eat something else if they didnt exist. I see no good reason for them to exist as all they do is annoy us. They make our cars dirty, sneak into our homes, destroy our crops, spread diseases, poison us if they are toxic, and are generally an annoyance as they buzz past our ears and fly into our eyes. Why cant we just eradicate all insects? All we would have to do is spray for them like they do near rivers for mosquitos and black flies. They could spray everywhere for all bugs and eliminate them once and for all.
    Over 95% of the living species on this planet are insects. And that's just counting the species individually. Counting all the insects individually, insects make up for probably well over 99.99999999999999(continued)% of all life on this planet are insects.

Face the facts, dude. This is an insect planet. Pretty much every one of your points can be said for any animal, including ourselves.

Any attempt to eradicate all insects from this planet would be incredibly impossible.

Besides, Some insects are incredibly vital to our lives. For instance. Bees. If I need to tell you why, then you probably shouldn't be thinking about eradicating insects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Insects are crucial for the flora, like how flora is crucial for animals etc

it is a sophisticated yet fascinating element of nature

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh the anophele mosquito can be exterminated with extreme prejudice. Won't harm the ecosystem.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    The planet doesn't die. The planet can't die because it's not alive. We've had some seriously massive species die-offs in the past, and Earth is still here, and still full of organisms.
    Way to be picky. If it makes you happy, all animal and maybe plant life would die.

To the massive extinctions and in particular, the Permian mass extinction, not all insects died in these events did they? Many insects and arthropods alive today were alive before the PME 250million years ago so your logic is incorrect and they made it through. However, taking away every single one would be insurmountable in an ecosystem that is so dependent on them. The only known environment that I could think of that might possibly survive would be the deep ocean trenches but even that is difficult to predict.

It's a stupid hypothetical construct anyway since it would never happen without a cosmic influence like our star going supernova on our asses which just results in everything dying. The tougher insects and arthropods like cockroaches are far more capable in surviving earths hostile environments even with the influence of humans than we are with all our technology and sentience.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2013-05-28 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    all the nuclear power plants around the world would overheat without supervision, melt down and burn in open contact with the atmosphere rendering the whole planet a nuclear wasteland.
    Most of them would not burn in open contact with the atmosphere, and even if they did they would not render the whole planet a nuclear wasteland. At worst, the areas in the immediate vicinity of the plants would be badly irradiated.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no need for insects when you only look at them. But there is no need for every other form of life either.

Only on a greater scale of a ecosystem any of them has some kind of worth because of their places in the food chain. But that doesn't mean it is a problem if a species dies.

Deleted
    there's also no need for many sorts of people to exist yet we do not spray them and be done with it.