i5 3570k & ASrock Z77X4 overclocking questions.

Hello wizards!

A few seconds ago I tried boosting my current CPU into the 4.5 regio.
    Whilst it did not crash, the temps that were shown while using Prime had me concerned.
    On full worker load it would reach 90C in just 3 minutes.

The question is if this would be a result of a faulty assemble of the cooler (Scythe Mugen v2) on my CPU or are temps like that "normal" for our beloved IB's?

Some more information about my system & a screenshot of CPU-Z/CTemp;

CPU; i5 3570K
    Multiplier; 45
    Offset mode, +0,005v
    Automatic Settings, power savings and turbo off.

Mobo; ASrock Z77 Extreme4
    RAM; 8GB @ 2000Mhz

Deleted
    what kind of voltage did it use under load?
    im going by that the cpu is using a way too high voltage for the overclock causing the heat

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    what kind of voltage did it use under load?
    im going by that the cpu is using a way too high voltage for the overclock causing the heat
    It's currently using 1.200v under full load @ 4,4Ghz, fluctuating between 1.192, 1.200 and 1.208.
    Max TDP 77w, around 69,6w used
    No voltage changes made except adding offset mode with +0,005v
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-05-27 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those don't seem like terrible temps. That's lower voltage than I had at that OC, and that temp.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

1.2v for 4.4ghz is fairlly good actually, your temps are high .. because:
    1. The scythe mugen is a low-end heatsink (i can get one for 35$ so pretty much in the same class as the 212+)
    2. Prime95 is not a typical workload , you will never use your CPU as much as this program do
    3. Maybe you need more airflow in your face
    4. Add static pressure optimized fans to your heatsink
    5. Get a H110/ H100i (last resort) !

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    1.2v for 4.4ghz is fairlly good actually, your temps are high .. because:
    1. The scythe mugen is a low-end heatsink (i can get one for 35$ so pretty much in the same class as the 212+)
    2. Prime95 is not a typical workload , you will never use your CPU as much as this program do
    3. Maybe you need more airflow in your face
    4. Add static pressure optimized fans to your heatsink
    5. Get a H110/ H100i (last resort) !
    My airflow should be fine, got several fans in it that I have set to medium as well.
    Only reason I know that affects the temps is that my box is quite dusty.
    While having that in mind, I don't plan on pushing further into the 4.6/4.7 regio before I thoroughfully clean it.
    Thanks for the tips tho, appriciate it!

[edit; leaving Prime running for several more minutes, so far max is at 93c after 5 minutes]
    [edit 2; 20 minutes past, max temps at 98C]
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-05-28 at 12:30 AM.

Deleted
    prime temps usually peak around the 20-30min mark

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    prime temps usually peak around the 20-30min mark
    This was 8 minutes ago;

Quite a high temp, it's back down too around 87c again tho

When you're just gaming, you will never get to those temps. You should be fine tbh.

My i7-3770K gets about 80-85C at about 5 mins into Linx with the Hyper 212 EVO at 4.5 Ghz 1.225V.

Linx and HT both result in higher temperatures. My higher voltage yet lower temperatures leads me to believe that your heatsink isn't mounted properly.

Maybe you used too much/too little paste.

Transient temperatures - first 5-10 minutes after starting a stress test - have little to do with case/heatsink airflow. Transient temperatures are determined by the size of the heatsink (heat capacity) and how well heat is transferred from the IHS to the heatsink surface. During this time, the heatsink is being warmed by the CPU.

Case/heatsink airflow affect the temperature at which the CPU plateaus, the 20-30 minute peak shroudster mentioned. Going for better case airflow or higher static pressure fans won't alleviate your transient temperature problems with Prime 95.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-05-28 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    snippy
    I think it is mounted properly but I'll make sure to check it next week when I am able to play around with a compressed air gun to clean it.
    It hasn't been cleaned for months (maybe a year even) so I'm not too shocked by the temps currently shown knowing that theres massive dust piling up in there.

Still, it's nice to test out some settings and see how far I can push it if I do not have access to a compressed air gun in the future.

Also noticed that the temps were the highest 5 minutes after Prime, whilst over the 10mins mark the temps actually got less severe.