Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Returning to The Old Republic

Hi guys, I've been back on WoW for a few months and decided to officially quit.

I was getting back into it fiercely to be honest, even raiding, and then my guild leaves the server(in all fairness it WAS dying) as soon as the discounts came online. I just don't have it in me to shovel out more money, even discounted, for a game I spend loads on as is through buying expansions, monthly fees, and ridiculously costly services. It was sort of a slap in the face for me.

So, I decided to give Star Wars another try. I love the lore, the universe, I'm dying to get back into it to be honest and have a reason to pick up the novels even like I did with WoW.

With that out of the way... what faction needs more people, what classes are needed, and what should I expect/prepare for starting anew? I want the best possible experience going forward and I think that starts here.

Just like any trinity based mmos, tanks and healers will always be needed

what faction? I have played off and on and really I see no difference in the population of jedi and sith. I would just pick something that appeals to you. I will say that marauders and sentinels seem to be the most popular classes by far.

Way to many force users running about.
    Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Just like any trinity based mmos, tanks and healers will always be needed

what faction? I have played off and on and really I see no difference in the population of jedi and sith. I would just pick something that appeals to you. I will say that marauders and sentinels seem to be the most popular classes by far.
    Actually even when I was originally playing(this was release basically) marauders and sentinels seemed the most selected. Followed by bounty hunters and troopers.

---------- Post added 2013-06-08 at 03:19 AM ----------

Already know I am making a Cathar female whatever I go.

They're so ridiculously cute with the right options. I had like... 3,500 cartel points from being a subscriber I guess. Bought my all the cosmetic/race unlocks so I could mess around more.
    Last edited by Kitterfly; 2013-06-08 at 06:05 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitterfly View Post
    I want the best possible experience going forward and I think that starts here.
    If you want the best possible experience, you don't want to ask anyone what you should play. Pick whatever interests you the most. Tank if you like tanking, heal if you like healing, but don't ever play what people think are needed over what you will enjoy the most. What you will want to do is roll on the most populated server you can. For US it used to be Jedi Covenant and Pot5, but that may have changed or you may be EU.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    If you want the best possible experience, you don't want to ask anyone what you should play. Pick whatever interests you the most. Tank if you like tanking, heal if you like healing, but don't ever play what people think are needed over what you will enjoy the most. What you will want to do is roll on the most populated server you can. For US it used to be Jedi Covenant and Pot5, but that may have changed or you may be EU.
    Jedi Covenant (PVE-East) seems very active, starter zones usually have 50-100+ people on it during the evening hours. People seem to be okay on the server, usual dumd "WoW trade chat" stuff going on in General Chat. But it could be worse...

Just decided to go Jedi consular and will go into the healing aspect of it.

Hopefully I can get into this. I might be a bit too burnt out from WoW to simply start anew, you know?

Just decided to go Jedi consular and will go into the healing aspect of it.

Hopefully I can get into this. I might be a bit too burnt out from WoW to simply start anew, you know?
    Could be. It is sometimes best to take breaks from a genre that you may be tired of and get into something else for a bit.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your time in Swtor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nkagnito89 View Post
    Could be. It is sometimes best to take breaks from a genre that you may be tired of and get into something else for a bit.
    ^^This. I put in several months of Fallout 3 after I quit WoW. Also second what kitty said. A suggestion to the OP: play a role you normally don't play and looks fun to you. I did nothing but tank and heal in WoW and Lotro. Guess what I am playing now in subsequent mmos? Deeeps. So try something different. Hope you'll enjoy swtor. It's a good game in spite of its management.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    ^^This. I put in several months of Fallout 3 after I quit WoW. Also second what kitty said. A suggestion to the OP: play a role you normally don't play and looks fun to you. I did nothing but tank and heal in WoW and Lotro. Guess what I am playing now in subsequent mmos? Deeeps. So try something different. Hope you'll enjoy swtor. It's a good game in spite of its management.
    Well funny enough, I would totally be playing Guild Wars 2 if it wasn't for the lack of a trinity. I LIKE specialization and focusing my character's potential.

I am not a fan not being able to play characters dedicated towards certain jobs. There is nothing really good(at least in my humble experience) about being a 'jack of all trades'. Not in the workplace, not in hobbies, it just tends to spread you out and make you great at none. It also disorientates the experience and makes you feel without purpose.

That and AoE damage(at least when I played) was insane so if you were melee jumping into the fray you wouldn't last two seconds. Not to mention it's an immense resource hog for people with greater rigs which makes no sense.

Arenanet made the mistake(again in my humble opinion) of assuming that the trinity was bad, it's why gameplay often become stagnant and boring in MMO titles. That it created issues of group-forming due to people not wanting to play the tanks and healers. In truth the issue was that healing/tank concepts are outdated and overly simplistic. If they had made them more interesting, more intense, the trinity is more than adequate to keep being the standard of MMO gaming.

But nope, they gutted it. All the classes feel like lame ducks as a result and my purpose in combat never seems very clear to me. So I chose to try out SWTOR anew.
    Last edited by Kitterfly; 2013-06-08 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although I do play GW2 on the side, I do agree that the lack of holy trinity and the more focus on solo-team-gameplay kind of was a small turn off.

My main game has to have some sort of trinity system in place to give me an area to focus on and to actually be great at. That being said- play what you want to play. A lot of people went the force user route, because come on its Star Wars and we want lightsabers. I am a Bounty Hunter because I love the lore and roles they played in the books, etc.

A LOT has changed in terms of server loads, gameplay, etc, within SWTOR. There are fewer servers but now you see 4+ fleets during primetime easily. I am on Prophecy of the Five and we generally have multiple fleets at any given time. I do have to say that Republic is under represented overall.

15+ Year Old Account
    i've been playing on the f2p again i think im going to resub soon its not perfect but seems like its better then when i quit
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    i've been playing on the f2p again i think im going to resub soon its not perfect but seems like its better then when i quit
    I resubscribed to get my cartel coins and I felt like Gob.

Unless you are planning on raiding every week and pvping every week, there's really no reason to subscribe.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you are planning on raiding every week and pvping every week, there's really no reason to subscribe.
    That is like saying, "Unless you feel like playing every week, theres really no reason to subscribe."

I think thats how it is in most games. I wouldn't subscribe for WoW if I didn't plan on doing anything in that game, same goes for SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    That is like saying, "Unless you feel like playing every week, theres really no reason to subscribe."

I think thats how it is in most games. I wouldn't subscribe for WoW if I didn't plan on doing anything in that game, same goes for SWTOR.
    Some people only raid, some people only pvp.
    I said "and" as in both.

It's cheaper to buy weekly passes if you only do pve or pvp.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am not a fan not being able to play characters dedicated towards certain jobs. There is nothing really good(at least in my humble experience) about being a 'jack of all trades'. Not in the workplace, not in hobbies, it just tends to spread you out and make you great at none. It also disorientates the experience and makes you feel without purpose.
    I think you might have identified why you got burnt out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Some people only raid, some people only pvp.
    I said "and" as in both.

It's cheaper to buy weekly passes if you only do pve or pvp.
    If you raid or pvp only on only one char... then yes... for everything else, better subscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    If you raid or pvp only on only one char... then yes... for everything else, better subscribe.
    Also, if you do dailies, there's less reason to subscribe because of weekly passes on the GTN.
    So if you don't mind dailies, then it could be as many characters as you want.
    And if you pvp enough, you may end up paying for your PVP pass just from PVPing.

So yeah. The subscription is pretty pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Also, if you do dailies, there's less reason to subscribe because of weekly passes on the GTN.
    So if you don't mind dailies, then it could be as many characters as you want.
    And if you pvp enough, you may end up paying for your PVP pass just from PVPing.

So yeah. The subscription is pretty pointless.
    If you have tons of time on your hand but generate the amount of money only from dailies I would need to unlock weekly passes for 6+ chars..., not subscribing really only makes sense if you have 1-3 chars and you don't frequently do operations pvp on each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    If you have tons of time on your hand but generate the amount of money only from dailies I would need to unlock weekly passes for 6+ chars..., not subscribing really only makes sense if you have 1-3 chars and you don't frequently do operations pvp on each of them.
    As fencers will tell you, most MMO players tend to have 1-2 characters they play at a time. So a player doing dailies (or a lot of pvp) on two characters isn't that much of a time commitment, especially given then credit cap and thus low price on weekly passes.