10+ Year Old Account

Keyboard for my wife

So this is an odd help request but I feel like some personal experience might come into play on this topic and I don't have as much as the MMO champ forums does.

My wife's birthday is come up here in a couple weeks. She bought herself a really nice All-in-one PC around 7-8 months ago and she loves it.. (its actually really nice) It came with a moderately shitty keyboard.. one of those that is very very thin and flat. I have pretty much sold her on the idea that mechanical keyboards are superior not only is it "easier" to type on but its even better for your wrists and the like as far as carpal tunnel goes due to the motor force required to push the keys down is less.

I would like to buy her a nice mechanical keyboard that will be mostly used for typing (large amount) but also gaming from time to time. A medium amount of sound is alright and if it was back-lite with maybe color changing options that would be great. I have found This one and it seems fairly nice but I'm no pro.

I have a budget of around 150$ to spend on a keyboard that she wont TRULY utilize but I know she will really like it as a gift.

I know this is an odd request but any help or tips would be appreciated! Thank you.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional/

There's a quiet version available as well.

That's the closest keyboard I've used to the original IBM type keyboards. It's basically an expensive refresh.

I have no experience with their longevity, however.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt View Post
    http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional/

There's a quiet version available as well.

That's the closest keyboard I've used to the original IBM type keyboards. It's basically an expensive refresh.

I have no experience with their longevity, however.
    I have the DasKeyboard Model S professional silent (the one with MX Brown switches). It is now around 14 months old and has been used very much. I do not see any signs of it functioning any less than it did on the first day. It is a very great keyboard and i do not regret buying it.

However, there are two things, that i might do different if i had to buy a new keyboard now:
    - Backlighting: While i can type fast, i am not a blind/touch typer. (Yeah i know, i should learn it...). And while i prefer to work/play in a well lit room (no dark room with only the monitor as a light source for me), the black keyboard makes it harder to read the letters when i have to look down.
    - Blue Switches: I chose the MX Brown switches with the goal of it being less noisy than the blues, but experience has told me that the "click" of the blues is actually not that loud and the most sound from my keyboard comes from the key caps hitting the bottom (mechanicals tend to have a very sturdy and rigid frame, which makes the sound a very loud "clack"). If i had to take a guess, i would even say, that my typing would probably less noisy with blue switches, because you can measure the force better and won't bottom out as often.

So, if your wife types a lot, i would suggest the MX Blue switches. And really, the click from the keys is just such a satisfying sound.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    To OP: That keyboard you linked is the Nordic layout, so make sure that is actually what you are after...

Otherwise, all of the Ducky Shine boards are nice, but are out of stock a lot of the time. (I have been trying to keep an eye out for a Shine II with green back lighting in a US layout for a while on that site...)

Edit: There are other choices there. I found this Ducky Shine II with brown switches and green backlight, with black base and white keycaps. They also have boards with white bases and pink keycaps if your wife likes pink and white!
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2013-05-29 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thank you all for the input and advice. I really do appreciate it. I think i have made my decision, due to some covert question asking to my wife turns out she doesn't mind a clicky keyboard at all but she types amazingly fast so i might get annoyed of it hahaha. I'm gonna go with the MX Brown switches.

Again, thank you all for the help!

Feel free to close this thread mods.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogawdspider View Post
    Well thank you all for the input and advice. I really do appreciate it. I think i have made my decision, due to some covert question asking to my wife turns out she doesn't mind a clicky keyboard at all but she types amazingly fast so i might get annoyed of it hahaha. I'm gonna go with the MX Brown switches.

Again, thank you all for the help!

Feel free to close this thread mods.

Have the ducky shine 2, red switches, its really nice.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions, hope you'll find what you're looking for

I've got a Saitek Eclipse that I'm very fond of because of its quietness and the backlit keys. It seems gimmicky but it really is convenient.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unnes View Post
    I've got a Saitek Eclipse that I'm very fond of because of its quietness and the backlit keys. It seems gimmicky but it really is convenient.
    You are missing the point. The Saitek Eclipse is not a mechanical keyboard.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet