Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever been fired?

Where I currently work there is a staff dismissals sheet that shows who has been fired from the firm all over the country. You'd be surprised to see how many managers and supervisors are on the list and the years they've done at the company (so you wouldn't in a million years expect them to do it), I think 36 years was the highest I saw.

Since MMO Champion offers a huge variation of experiences, I was wondering, have you ever been fired? If so, what for?

*It's not a full name and photo description.

Example would be Region: South England, Position: Manager, Years of service: 30, Reason: Theft of money from till.*
    Last edited by TJ; 2013-05-29 at 11:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not yet. /knockonwood

29 years old. Have been working at my current company 5.5 years.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-05-29 at 09:47 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not yet... nor have I gotten an actual job that I have to pay taxes on... love doing work under the table.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Not yet. So far, it's always been on good terms and with a 2-week notice when I quit a job.

Wow.... they actually publish the firing?

In the UK this goes against not only employment law but data protection also.

But anyhoo, yeah I got fired once when the company I was working for as a branch manager "promoted" me to a unit in a location in London that I had no hope of commuting to reliably, then allowed me to promote someone to supervisor to open/close to branch in my absence, but then decreed that she should not be unsupervised in her actions within the store.

The prelude to this was that my brother also worked for company, and was fired for financial irregularities, then they came after me.. Despite my 100% clean record and record breaking performance.

The message being, its not always your fault. And knowing shitloads of employment law is a very good thing... I have not been fired since, and I never will, as I guarantee I can stand toe to toe with any HR department...

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes because I told my work I wanted a career and wanted to leave on a certain date but instead of accepting my resignation, they fired me and I have been out of work for months. Luckily, I have just been hired for a new job!

Sounds to me they are publishing layoff's not firings.

never.. and i've never had to leave a job on bad terms either. i don't like to burn bridges.. it's too much of a small world.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Where I currently work there is a staff dismissals sheet that shows who has been fired from the firm all over the country. You'd be surprised to see how many managers and supervisors are on the list and the years they've done at the company (so you wouldn't in a million years expect them to do it), I think 36 years was the highest I saw.

Since MMO Champion offers a huge variation of experiences, I was wondering, have you ever been fired? If so, what for?
    Until "36 years" I was thinking about EA

Quote Originally Posted by eldritchforeshadow View Post
    Yes because I told my work I wanted a career and wanted to leave on a certain date but instead of accepting my resignation, they fired me and I have been out of work for months. Luckily, I have just been hired for a new job!
    You didn't get fired, you got let go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezlar View Post
    Wow.... they actually publish the firing?

In the UK this goes against not only employment law but data protection also.

But anyhoo, yeah I got fired once when the company I was working for as a branch manager "promoted" me to a unit in a location in London that I had no hope of commuting to reliably, then allowed me to promote someone to supervisor to open/close to branch in my absence, but then decreed that she should not be unsupervised in her actions within the store.

The prelude to this was that my brother also worked for company, and was fired for financial irregularities, then they came after me.. Despite my 100% clean record and record breaking performance.

The message being, its not always your fault. And knowing shitloads of employment law is a very good thing... I have not been fired since, and I never will, as I guarantee I can stand toe to toe with any HR department...
    Well, it's not a full name and photo description.

Example would be Region: South England, Position: Manager, Years of service: 30, Reason: Theft of money from till.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    It is people that have been fired. The reasons show this since they are "theft of money or stock" mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    Ah fair enough.. layoffs are a different thing ofc... nothing (on the surface) to do with incompetence or misconduct.

When my company does the whole "axe the bottom 5%" every year, its done under a consultancy period, which means you stop working on day 1, then they pay you to consult them on the redundancies for 30 days (Pro tip: The don't care what you think). Then they axe you, paying quite generously at the end..

In feb, there are lots of people hoping to be consulted!!! I myself, prefer to work...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezlar View Post
    Ah fair enough.. layoffs are a different thing ofc... nothing (on the surface) to do with incompetence or misconduct.

When my company does the whole "axe the bottom 5%" every year, its done under a consultancy period, which means you stop working on day 1, then they pay you to consult them on the redundancies for 30 days (Pro tip: The don't care what you think). Then they axe you, paying quite generously at the end..

In feb, there are lots of people hoping to be consulted!!! I myself, prefer to work...
    I agree, my dad often kicks himself for quitting his previous job since a few years after quitting, the company went under and eventually had to lay off everyone. Someone that had been working with my dad got over 100 thousand pounds since he had been there for a very long time, my dad would've received around the same and the job he currently has would've been very likely to still be available. Even if it wasn't, my dad has quite a few connections around this local area so it likely wouldn't have been a problem. But he has a job and that is the main thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Thr reason you see so many managers/supervisors is due to the fact the company doesn't want to pay them. Or "downsizing" where they can bring in a replacement for them and not fill the previous position.

Just happened to my mother this past Feb after 20 years at the company.

Hmm. I personally (obviously with the luxury of choice) would not work for that company..

You do not EVER need to breed fear to promote your standards and processes in a business... being consistent and having the right processes in place in the first place, limit this kind of insubordination.

Note I say limit.. one place I managed, I was quite close with a guy that worked for me.. Same taste in music, same attitudes towards "stuff"... Yet I find out he was stealing from my tills almost every night.

Sometimes shit happens, and you cannot account for the personalities and quirks of people... I never once thought of making an example of him, even just as a stat on a firing board.

I've quit a job or two on bad standings but i've never been fired.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

22 here,

and once last year, worked for my old instructor painting and decorating, long story short, initial he took advantage, wages were working out to 2 quid an hour (6 minimal here btw) I quit, he asked me to come back for 7 an hour I did, got on fine, went to college, came back to work in summer hols.

Now, first 4/5 weeks great, weather turns shit hours drop down to one or two days a week here and there made up from half days, so I took a second job, now he didn't want me to work any weekends that holiday so far, and the bank holiday was coming (imo never in 2 years did we work holidays because it would of been double time) and I said I couldn't as I had to help a friend in his shop, which was truth, my friend did own the shop I was working in.

Anyways he phoned he wanted me to work, I said I couldnt he kicked off, says I had been this and that and this for the last 4 weeks and its all down to working a second job etc, we were finished don't bother coming in ever again, he was billing me 4 hours work to "fix" a job, he billed me other stuff none work related and then I didn't recieve my last wages as he went on holiday and I didn't see a cheque for another 3 months

Just thought Id give a brief reason as to why I was fired before some smart arse jumps in and goes lol 22 and sacked, typical sterotype

Bartending one day and bitch manager yelled at me about nothing. I threw my work shirt at her called her a c***t and left. I think I got fired for that.

never been fired but I was made redundant when the company I worked for went bankrupt. they had the oh so clever idea of buying out an american company and then realising that they couldn't afford it. didn't help that they often declined to prosecute shoplifters and wouldn't fork out for security cameras either

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Got fired along with everyone when the recession hit.