Addon to remove/replace spell icons with custom icons?

I'm looking to try something new, and I want to replace all the variously coloured spell icons on my action bars with different icons of my choosing.

My plan is to have all my icons to just be plain coloured squares with a either text abbreviation of the spell (LvB for Lava Burst, LB for lightning bolt, FS, etc.) or a very simplified picture (white volcano on a single colour background for Lava Burst, stylised lightning for lightning bolt, etc.) - something with only one colour and a background, ala most Power Auras images.

If I have to make the icons myself I'm ok with that, but I honestly have no idea what addons or tools I could use to make and implement this. Is there a Masque skin I can get that will allow me to set an opaque colour over my icons? Something I can use to change the font of the macro names and make it bold? Any thing with custom icons to choose from?

Any help or alternate suggestions on how to get this done would be appreciated.

"It turns out the only signature he needed was my fist! ... But with a pen in it ... that i was signing with."

If you're just looking to replace the spell icons and you're willing to make them, you could just create a blp at the icon's path.

Since Lightning Bolt's icon is: "Interface\Icons\spell_nature_lightning" (you can find these by click on the icon on wowhead), you would create your texture and save it to that path (ie, "World of Warcraft\Interface\Icons\spell_nature_lightning.blp"). If you don't have an Interface or Icons folder, just create them.

Alternatively, you could use multiple weakauras to replace your actionbars. You may be able to do the same thing with powerauras, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I'm willing to create my own icons if I need to, but truth be told I'd be happier if I didn't have to. :P

I'll look into weakauras - in some of the research I did before posting this it seemed like weakauras might be a thing to look into.

"It turns out the only signature he needed was my fist! ... But with a pen in it ... that i was signing with."