CPU/MOBO PC Upgrades

Hey all, so recently i have been looking into upgrading my PC's Motherboard and CPU. My original plan was to upgrade to a Intel i5 3570k Processor and a ASROCK Z77-Extreme 4 Mobo from my current parts. I got a quote from a local store that i usually upgrade through (i know nothing about building pc's). THey told me this would cost $700($580 before install cost).. Almost double what i was expecting, on newegg i found those parts cost about 350$ before shipping etc. In the quote he said that the reason for the extra cost was that i would need to purchase a new windows OS when upgrading my Mobo.

First thing i want to ask is, is there any way around this extra cost? Or do i absolutely need to buy a new OS aswell. I would be ok with just not getting a new motherboard but mine is not compatible with anything but AMD cpu's as far as i can see / link - (http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down...aspx?pid=3908_

Second option is that i get an AMD cpu, etc an FX-8350 Vishera, i have done some research on this cpu and found that alot of people say that not only does it have alot higher temps then the 3570k but also performs alot less overall, especially in gaming which is what im aiming to improve with these upgrades (most importantly cpu heavy games such as Arma series) My budget is about 400$ + the install cost. Im not sure if this makes any sense at all but would i be better off forking out the extra money for my original plan or keeping my motherboard and getting a FX-8350 and maybe upgrading my fan/psu or whatever would help combat the increased temps? Or does anyone have any other reccomendations?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Current Specs:
    GPU : Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
    Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Why not drop a 8350 in it? IT's nearly the same for gaming as a i5 and WAYYYYYYYY cheaper since you have a MB you can put it in. Just my two cents...and i read more of the post and see you covered that. I would just go with a 8350 and maybe get a cooling cooler and overcloak it to maybe 5.0 ghz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your local store is ripping you off, hard. Their prices shouldn't be that much more. Lets say 500 (with OS) + 120 for labor.. that's 620. Where is that other 80 going?

If you absolutely can't do it, just buy the parts online and bring it to them. I feel 120 is a bit much to install some parts... But if you absolutely cant, or don't know any friends you can, then thats what it is. But 350 + 120 is a lot more attractive than 700.

And no, you do not need a new OS, as long as you aren't going to be using it on the old setup/system. That's.. well honestly that's just them scamming you, again.

---------- Post added 2013-05-30 at 03:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    IT's nearly the same for gaming as a i5
    AHAHAHA no.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Your local store is ripping you off, hard. Their prices shouldn't be that much more. Lets say 500 (with OS) + 120 for labor.. that's 620. Where is that other 80 going?

If you absolutely can't do it, just buy the parts online and bring it to them. I feel 120 is a bit much to install some parts... But if you absolutely cant, or don't know any friends you can, then thats what it is. But 350 + 120 is a lot more attractive than 700.

And no, you do not need a new OS, as long as you aren't going to be using it on the old setup/system. That's.. well honestly that's just them scamming you, again.

AHAHAHA no.
    That's not nice. There video proof its just as good. And No I'm not only looking at logans video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    That's not nice. There video proof its just as good. And No I'm not only looking at logans video.
    The 3570K is (currently, soon to be replaced by 4670K) the effectively pinnacle.

I guess I should have been clearer. When it comes to WoW (as this is being discussed on a WoW website), the 3570K kicks any, and every, AMD around the house when it comes to raiding, which is what -most- people upgrade for.

Are AMD CPU's -bad-? No. Not by any means. But if you can afford an Intel (Which he does), there's really no reason not to, unless heavy video editing/streaming is involved.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

tbh that seems a bit much to me, you should do it your self...that's what i did less than a month ago and about the hardest thing to do was to connect the power switches and lights for the cases face.

Ok, That would of been better to put than "HAHAHAHHA NO"

But for most games outside of wow. It's still pretty decent for gaming. But I'm sure with haswell coming out on sunday? It would be better to wait for that if you go the intell root.

[QUOTE=chazus;21279401]Your local store is ripping you off, hard. Their prices shouldn't be that much more. Lets say 500 (with OS) + 120 for labor.. that's 620. Where is that other 80 going?

And no, you do not need a new OS, as long as you aren't going to be using it on the old setup/system. That's.. well honestly that's just them scamming you, again.[COLOR="red"]

Sorry, about not needing a new OS, what do you mean by as long as im not going to be using it on the old setup/system?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nate11111x View Post
    Sorry, about not needing a new OS, what do you mean by as long as im not going to be using it on the old setup/system?
    If you're just replacing the CPU/MB in the same system, you're fine. The problem comes up when you want to build a brand new system... but the old one remains functional. The OS can only be used one one system at a time.

Oh i see, thanks. So far im getting the the intel route is best, about haswell, is there any info on the pricing/performance of these?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nate11111x View Post
    Oh i see, thanks. So far im getting the the intel route is best, about haswell, is there any info on the pricing/performance of these?
    similar to prices of current generation ivy.