swapping to resto for Megaera 10N

We've hit a small wall in our raid group. Magaera is providing some issues for us. We've found that killing BRBRGBR is a good way to go for us, but too many healers are kiting at the end to 3 heal it and we seem to die on the 6th/7th head because of it, so I'm switching to resto for this fight.

I have some resto experience, but it has been a very long time. Can someone explain in some detail how to best heal this fight? Specifically what spells are you focusing on, when you use your spirit link totem here, any glyphs that are useful . Should I be shooting for mastery on my off spec gear? I should be running a mixed set of my elemental and some leftover pieces. It looks to be about 509ilvl with 9800 spirit.

Given your description, you should probably be casting a lot of lightning bolt.

I found mana pretty tight when first doing this. Part of that was water shield not working right on this fight. Not sure that was ever fixed.

Spirit link should be worked into your rampage rotation. If not, use it as a tank CD or oh-snap CD during the last couple heads.

Glyphs should probably be 3 of healing stream, chaining, totemic restoration and telluric currents. If you haven't played restoration for a while, not totemic restoration. May not be worth the headache.

People can take some big dips late in the fight. Be ready to throw a healing surge or NS-GHW on cinders targets on the later heads. Otherwise, it's mostly standard practice. HR on groups, HST often. Co-ordinate your CDs on rampages and late in the fight. Chip in as much dps as possible.

Deleted
    Try to make sure you're on full mana at the end of the 4th head, surely at the end of the 3rd. Because you *will* need it for heads 5 and 6.
    With hero/bl blown at the start of the 6th rampage that makes healing that rampage not bad at all, and the 7th head doesnt last long anyway. The 5th and 6th heads i find the hardest.

The biggest thing that made the difference for us was changing the tactic for Cinder persons: instead of "run out and dispell person", we switched to spread out and "instantly dispell the cinder dude".. sure that person will get 1, maybe 2 ticks of standing in the fire, but it surely hurts a lot less than the cinders ticking themselves.
    (This might not be the best solution if you are melee heavy. We have 2 tanks + 2 melee, but i wouldnt advice if you have another melee)

Avoid using Healing Surge. it's not needed at heads 1-4 and you will just be oom when you need it. Use mana tide at the end of the towards the end of the 2nd head, and you should have it up again by the end of the fight for another go.

The rest as Tinsoul says: Keep HST on cooldown, keep riptide running (for both the healing but also for the Tidal Waves buff), use Unleashed Elementals + Healing Rain on the rampages.

Personally I use my Ascendance on rampages 2+5, and my Healing Tide Totem on rampages 3+6. Bosses 1+4 are covered by other healer cooldowns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchetman240 View Post
    We've hit a small wall in our raid group. Magaera is providing some issues for us. We've found that killing BRBRGBR is a good way to go for us, but too many healers are kiting at the end to 3 heal it and we seem to die on the 6th/7th head because of it, so I'm switching to resto for this fight.
    So... Are you 3 healing it now and you are switching to Resto as 4th healer? Or are you going to 3rd healer?
    Overall the best tip i can give you is: If you have more healers you have more uptime on heads(boss dies slower). If you have more DPS the more your healers need to heal but for a lesser amount of time(boss dies faster).

That is something you need to figure out with your raid team. We as guild had problems with the GRGRBGR tactic ourselves too. When then did BRBRGBR and managed it in 2 tries. Since there is a lot less need for Spread-AoE healing, and thats something a shaman is not that good at.

Also, what does your raid group look like? Do you have a Warlock? And what are the other healers?
    Warlock yes? let him set a portal in the middle, from max range of the blue head to about 15 yards-ish in front of the Blue.
    Have your ranged DPS Spread out at max range. Healers within range of both of the tanks in the middle(basically where the other end of the portal is). When the healers get targeted for Torrent of Ice, run to the back and over cinders if possible and take the portal back to be in range for heals on both tanks. Cinders you can drop in between the portals. Ranged can kite Torrent of Ice also to the back since it doesn't do damage if you know that you need to kite it. As for cinders on melee, the can also take the portal, but then its possible you get the dispel of top of a portal.

Cooldowns for rampage:
    1: SLT
    2: Ascendance
    3: HTT
    4: SLT
    5: Ascendance
    6: HTT
    7: Everything that is available

Each Rampage is ofc healed with unleash Life + Healing Rain and Chain heal on a riptided target. You could also skip the cooldowns on the First rampage and just heal it normally with ppl using their defensive dmg reduction cooldowns.

i avoid using HTT on rampages and using it instead when a poison bomb lands AND another one is incoming
    and of on the last head

go Green>red>green>red>green>red>green , very easy and no one have to run

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    i avoid using HTT on rampages and using it instead when a poison bomb lands AND another one is incoming
    and of on the last head
    If you do BRBRGBR then you only get 1 or 2 poison bombs of the green, and that is easily backed up by VE of an SP or some similar raid CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubuntu View Post
    go Green>red>green>red>green>red>green , very easy and no one have to run
    You still need to dodge the poison bomb and then you need to heal the whole raid. If your healers aren't capable of that while the tanks have nice debuffs too in a few seconds then you have a problem.
    Last edited by mmoc8f7998508b; 2013-05-30 at 05:35 PM.

Our raid makeup is as follows:

Tanks: DK&Pally

DPS: Hunter, Mage, DK, Warrior, Ele shaman (me, going to 4 heal)

Healers: Disc priest, Disc/holy priest, Holy pally and now a resto shaman

We're killing the heads by the 3rd breath right now. I'll have the holy priest go disc to make up for a portion of the lost ele shaman DPS. We die on the 6/7 head due multiple healers kiting ice or running out of cinders, which typically kills a healer first. We even had a situations where the other two healers became reliant on the pally to dispel routinely and didnt dispel the pally healer with cinders while her dispel was on CD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchetman240 View Post
    Our raid makeup is as follows:

Tanks: DK&Pally

DPS: Hunter, Mage, DK, Warrior, Ele shaman (me, going to 4 heal)

Healers: Disc priest, Disc/holy priest, Holy pally and now a resto shaman

We're killing the heads by the 3rd breath right now. I'll have the holy priest go disc to make up for a portion of the lost ele shaman DPS. We die on the 6/7 head due multiple healers kiting ice or running out of cinders, which typically kills a healer first. We even had a situations where the other two healers became reliant on the pally to dispel routinely and didnt dispel the pally healer with cinders while her dispel was on CD.
    Then your healers are holding you back... the 2 priests 1 disc and 1 Holy should be fine... And with those you could do the GRGRGRG tactic because Priests are just too nice for this encounter.

But Have you even tried it with just 2 healers? And with 4 Healers the uptime of the Heads are just way too long thus getting more shit fired @ your raid.
    So 2 Heal it or 3 heal it, don't 4 heal it... It takes too long which is draining mana...

Rotate your cooldowns of every raider to save some mana too.

DK tank : Anti-Magic Zone + vengeance is awesome
    Pala tank : Devotion Aura is nice 20% magic reduction
    Disc Priest: Spirit Shell and Barrier
    Holy Priest: Divine Hymn + Guardian Spirit for a tank is nice
    Ele Shaman: Either HTT or AG if your gear is good enough.
    Warrior: Rallying Cry

etc
    Last edited by mmoc8f7998508b; 2013-05-30 at 06:18 PM.

we also tried blue and red the first day and it was horrible. to much kiting especially for our healers.
    we switched to green and red with one blue near the end and it was very easy compared to before. we run with shaman, druid and paladin as heal.
    we are all spread over the the available space and if some green is going to impact the nearest players move away from it. range dps is at max range so that cinder for them can be dispelled immediately.
    Last edited by Nebria; 2013-05-30 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beriohtarion View Post
    If you do BRBRGBR then you only get 1 or 2 poison bombs of the green, and that is easily backed up by VE of an SP or some similar raid CD.
    well he said they were dying on the head phases due to healers not being able to keep up, so i would agree with saving HTT for that. it's really a wasted cooldown on the rampages anyway; you're better off with HST for the glyph effect coupled with ascendance + SLT.

i've never tried 4 healing this fight, but i'd agree that it might actually make it harder. the raid is going to be absolutely covered with attacks from the back heads.

and don't wait for dispels after about the 4th head - just cleanse immediately and let people adjust as needed. have your melee up front, healers in the middle, and ranged far back towards the mushrooms. if you set up like this after the rampage, the instant dispels aren't much of a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty006 View Post
    The biggest thing that made the difference for us was changing the tactic for Cinder persons: instead of "run out and dispell person", we switched to spread out and "instantly dispell the cinder dude".. sure that person will get 1, maybe 2 ticks of standing in the fire, but it surely hurts a lot less than the cinders ticking themselves.
    (This might not be the best solution if you are melee heavy. We have 2 tanks + 2 melee, but i wouldnt advice if you have another melee)
    Works fine with 3 melee in 10n. We usually have 1-2 but squeezed in a 3rd last week. Melee just need to keep spread and be aware if other melee gets a cinder. There is still plenty of room to work.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    And have you tried BRGBRGB ?
    That what we're doing, and it works pretty well. Not that much ice kitting that we can't heal anymore, not much spread healing needed because we kill the green head later in the fight. We rotate healers' and defensive CD during rampage, Bloodlust during last rampage, and we have our dps using their remaining healing/defensive CD during the last head. Most often it isn't even needed, but sometimes you can have bad combos with 2/3 healers having to run everywhere.

I wouldn't suggest going with 4 healers, it'll slow your dps too much (and you won't feel very useful as a shaman 4th healer). Begin able to kill the last head very fast is key to avoid bad happening.
    Plus as you have 3 distances, healers shouldn't have to kite that much. We generally have 3 melee dps, and it works ok. Less should only be easier.

If you happen to heal it anyway, here's what I do :
    - I use Elemental guidance instead of Healing Tide totem, it heals enough for rampage and is available more often.
    - Cast Unleash Element while runing to position for the rampage, Healing Rain, and wait for the priest bubbles to wear off before using your healing CDs (ie: wait for people to actually take damage, which might not even happen if you're 4-healing it)
    - CD rotation for rampage : EG - Ascendance - EG - SLT (if needed) + PE - EG - Ascendance
    - Having CDs for (almost) each rampage allows me to keep Spirit Link Totem for when something's going wrong. Like if a healer has Cinder or is kiting the ice path just before rampage.
    - Have your disc priest shield the Cinder target (with Body and Soul) and dispel when needed. Precast GHW on the Cinder target.
    - Take special care of tanks when all the other healers are busy kiting bad.
    - Put Healing Rain on melee when the poison bomb explodes.

If you have such huge problems with the order your killing the heads. then that cant be a good order for you.
    You have to think about what you get by killing each head at specific times during the fight.
    Killing the 3rd blue head as the 6th, you will have 4 blue heads in the background casting frostbeams, which is a nightmare for healers and range to handle.
    kill more greens, as they only provide raid damage, which should be easy to handle with your roster- without another healer.