what can i get for 1600 euro?

computer, screen keyboard etc
    the only thing that hinders me from raiding is my slow computer right now, want something that i can raid throne of thunder and onwards with

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are you located? What do you have currently?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Betwen Finland and sweden, aland a small island
    My computer right now is a laptop, tot with 4-7 fps aint fun even on low

Deleted
    I made these two builds for a buddy recently:

The Budget Bastard - €839
    http://i.imgur.com/rKv6oKx.png

The Midrange Maniac - €993
    http://i.imgur.com/PBjmpWQ.png

If anyone has good critique against either setup, feel free to point it out and recommend alternatives. I'm no professional.

Both will PROBABLY be a tad more expensive considering how cheap CDON with the sweclockers 5% off cut is (unless they deliver to Åland so you can buy it from them), but the price will be somewhere in that ballpark. If you don't want to build it yourself, most computer-specialized stores can do it for around €100, which tends to include 2 or 3 years warranty. Or you could have a friend do it or whatever floats your boat, it's your hardware.

---
    tl;dr for the coming part: Try before you buy with mice and headsets instead of buying off anyone's (including my) recommendation, but don't get headsets from logitech or mice from Cyborg.
    ---
    Regarding accessories, the only one I can recommend shorthand is a Logitech G510 keyboard. It's ergonomic, sturdy and comes with a whole bunch of macro keys. Screens are not my expertise, so someone else can probably recommend a good one for you. It's completely pointless to point at mice or headsets and say "you should get that one" as everyone in the entire universe has a different opinion on what's passable, so I'll just say what I'm using and what to avoid. My recommendation, though, is that you go to a store where they let you unbox and try the stuff before deciding which one you want. It's so very personal, especially mice.

My headset: SteelSeries Siberia v2. Ergonomic, durable, and very good quality per euro ratio for a headset with a microphone.
    Headsets to avoid: Any Logitech G-series headsets. The G35 is over-priced and under-good. The G930 costs €150 yet has a model issue that causes the microphone to sound like something you could pick up in the trashbin at your local €1 store. I haven't seen or heard their other two headsets, but with a track record like that, I'd avoid the brand altogether for sound.

My mouse: Microsoft SideWinder. If you've got big hands, it's awesome. It's not manifactured anymore though (only sold on ebay), so you'd be really lucky to find one you can try before you buy.
    Mice to avoid: The Cyborg R.A.T. series. Their huge draw is that you can change the grip for your particular hand, and that's all fine and dandy. The problem is the sensor. When the room is completely still, it's just inaccurate. When there's strong bass music in the room, you can just leave it on your desktop and it'll moonshine as a seismograph.

(Edit: wtf, I must have left out half a sentence in the accessory part. Fixed now.)
    Last edited by mmoc2e3dee3473; 2013-05-31 at 09:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "Budget" System listed above would work, except change the CPU to a 3570K, the motherboard to a decent Z77, and probably change the SSD to Samsung 840, and see if you can find a 7870 XT somewhere (I didnt see it on CDON).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The "Budget" System listed above would work, except change the CPU to a 3570K, the motherboard to a decent Z77, and probably change the SSD to Samsung 840, and see if you can find a 7870 XT somewhere (I didnt see it on CDON).
    Well... The whole point of the budget system was to switch out the 3570k for a non-unlocked variant in order to save money on cpu/motherboard/cooling. So in that case he might as well just get the other one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    Well... The whole point of the budget system was to switch out the 3570k for a non-unlocked variant in order to save money on cpu/motherboard/cooling. So in that case he might as well just get the other one.
    I guess?

The budget one makes some poor purchases, imo, for being 'budget'... It's really just a gimped version of the midrange. The midrange also spends money in silly places. So... changing the budget to a 3570K/Z77 is a better choice. A 660ti is a poor choice no matter what, though. Either go down to a 660, or up to a 7870 XT

Deleted
    Why would you ever want to go unlocked on a build with subpar fan options and an €20 cpu cooler? And what are the "silly" purchases on the midrange machine, other than the video card (I hadn't heard of the 7870xt, so thanks)? I'd appreciate if you were a bit more constructive instead of just basically saying "it's bad".

Anyway, feel free to make a cheaper budget build if you want to. Obviously it's not the cheapest you can get, but it's a lot of power for the price, hence "budget" in the name. The person I made the build for, as well as this OP, have enough money to buy either build and the cheaper one was essentailly designed to be a cheaper, gimped version of the other one.
    Last edited by mmoc2e3dee3473; 2013-05-31 at 11:33 AM.

Why would you ever want to go unlocked on a build with subpar fan options and an €20 cpu cooler? And what are the "silly" purchases on the midrange machine, other than the video card (which I hadn't heard of, so thanks)? I'd appreciate if you were a bit more constructive instead of just basically saying "it's bad".
    The SSD is of a bad model. You can overclock a 3570k to ~4.2GHz with the stock cooler, if you replace the Zalman fan with a Hyper212 you can easily hit 4.5GHz.
    Replace the RAM with a low profile version instead,.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A 660ti is a poor choice no matter what, though.
    Not necessarily.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    The SSD is of a bad model. You can overclock a 3570k to ~4.2GHz with the stock cooler, if you replace the Zalman fan with a Hyper212 you can easily hit 4.5GHz.
    Replace the RAM with a low profile version instead,.
    Thanks! Finally a constructive response.
    I don't have the build saved in anything but screencaps, so I can't edit it and repost without building it again, but I suppose the OP can just read through the thread.

---------- Post added 2013-05-31 at 01:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Not necessarily.
    Well, you can get an XT cheaper in most places (and the performance is almost identical), so it would make more sense. I hadn't heard of it before, hence why I picked 660ti.

Deleted
    Make your own pc. You can save alot...built a few myself and i am happy where i am...600€ pc and i can do anything...play skyrim on ultra 60ish fps, wow 60fps in major cities, crysis on high with 40+ fps. With 1600 you can prob get a nice pc for 800-900€, then get 1-2 screens. you could even crossfire 2 graphic cards if you wanted (which i find useless if you get a powerful one). and i am an amd + asus fan. usually get most of my stuff from them (gpu,motherboard, processor). I am pretty happy atm.

Well, you can get an XT cheaper in most places (and the performance is almost identical), so it would make more sense. I hadn't heard of it before, hence why I picked 660ti.
    And the performance of the 660 Ti is almost identical to a 7950 @ stock.

Plus, the majority of benchmark reviews are done on AMD favored games that all tend to be "one and done" games.

For $1600 though, the OP isn't going to be browsing at the $300 GPU price range anyways. He'll most likely be building 4670K/4770K + 780.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    For $1600 though, the OP isn't going to be browsing at the $300 GPU price range anyways. He'll most likely be building 4670K/4770K + 780.
    It is going to be hard to fit a GTX 780 into the budget when he needs monitor and peripherals as well, should probably put something like €400 for that only.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzking View Post
    Make your own pc. You can save alot...built a few myself and i am happy where i am...600€ pc and i can do anything...play skyrim on ultra 60ish fps, wow 60fps in major cities, crysis on high with 40+ fps. With 1600 you can prob get a nice pc for 800-900€, then get 1-2 screens. you could even crossfire 2 graphic cards if you wanted (which i find useless if you get a powerful one). and i am an amd + asus fan. usually get most of my stuff from them (gpu,motherboard, processor). I am pretty happy atm.
    Never done that before, tho i know how welding and electronics work, how hard is it on a 0/10 scale?