Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    You seem pretty sure. Have you researched on it? I'd like to see your studies, but maybe in a different thread.

After looking at this story i can't but think at this:
    "Every action has an equal reaction".

The USA has let the gun lobby fiddle too long with American society unpunished and unregulated, and now the answer is going to be pretty much on the same terms, absurd.
    Higgs boson or god particle is prove of how the universe was created so that there's no need to be a god to create it in the first place. Also when looking at the circumstances of how and when the bible was created (or by reading the bible and historical papers about that time) it becomes obvious that god is just a creation of mankind to use it as a tool to create peace and order. Christianity is very different from other religions because Christians accepted that there doesn't have to be a god but it's easier to believe there is than to try to explain how everything was created and so on. It's like Santa Claus. It's easier to tell children Santa brought the presents than to explain why we celebrate the birth of Jesus.

As for the suspended boy. He did show this toy to a friend in the schoolbus on his way to the kindergarten. They handled the situation very poorly especially interrogating him about it without the parents can traumatize people. Punishing him was right but interrogating him so that he wets his pants is too much. I don't think that this boy understands what exactly he did wrong. From his perspective it was probably something normal to show one of his friends his newest and most awesome toy even if it's debatable if replica guns and replica weapons should be toys at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    The kid brought a gun to school, what is the problem? I get that it doesn't shoot bullets, but it makes a really loud noise and looks exactly like a real gun. I can't believe people are surprised by this; the student code of conduct for every school says no guns, water guns, cap guns, of anything that remotely resembles a gun, or you will be suspended/expelled.

Now the "2 hour questioning," if true, is a whole nother story.
    It looks nothing like a real gun. It's plastic (most are clear see through) with a red cap on the end. It's obvious that it's not even a bb gun let alone a real pistol.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server17...61.800.800.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by brickerz View Post
    With parents intellectually inferior enough to allow their kid to take a fake firearm to school in the first place, I would not trust them to appropriately parent their child about taking said fake firearm to school. Kids, especially at a young age, should not be trusted. They lack the full cognitive ability to think beyond the present, or even about possible consequences. They're usually not trying to deceive or cause a reaction, but they lack the foresight to see that it will.
    How do you know the parents allowed their kid to take it? Did your parents inspect your bookbag every day before you left?

With parents intellectually inferior enough to allow their kid to take a fake firearm to school in the first place, I would not trust them to appropriately parent their child about taking said fake firearm to school. Kids, especially at a young age, should not be trusted. They lack the full cognitive ability to think beyond the present, or even about possible consequences. They're usually not trying to deceive or cause a reaction, but they lack the foresight to see that it will.
    I doubt the parents let him take it. He probably put it in his backpack himself without them even knowing. And the child probably didn't even think it was wrong, just his favorite toy.

There's a lot of time during the day where a kid can put a toy into his backpack without the parent noticing. Unless you're suggesting parents should frisk and search through the backpack of their kid every day they leave to school, and leaving for the bus should be treated the same as getting on a plane is now. I'm also quite worried by the idea that someone who supposedly works in an academic setting is so quick to judge someone he doesn't know as "intellectually inferior". What exactly are you a professor of?

10+ Year Old Account
    Kids aren't allowed to be kids these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    A 5 year old kid thinks a cap gun is a toy. It's not different than bringing an action figure to school, the thinking is "I like this, I want to show my friend."
    Then it's terrible parenting, and the suspension serves as a punishment for the parents.

Cap guns are toys, depending on context. If you brought a cap gun to a presidential rally and pulled it out, you'd get shot. If you bring one to school and pull it out, you get suspended. It's really not an acceptable behavior in this day and age. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    5 year old know lots of things. They know not to push kids, throw things in class, swear at their teachers, bring guns to school, etc.
    No. No, they don't know any of that.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    Higgs boson or god particle is prove of how the universe was created so that there's no need to be a god to create it in the first place. Also when looking at the circumstances of how and when the bible was created (or by reading the bible and historical papers about that time) it becomes obvious that god is just a creation of mankind to use it as a tool to create peace and order. Christianity is very different from other religions because Christians accepted that there doesn't have to be a god but it's easier to believe there is than to try to explain how everything was created and so on. It's like Santa Claus. It's easier to tell children Santa brought the presents than to explain why we celebrate the birth of Jesus.

As for the suspended boy. He did show this toy to a friend in the schoolbus on his way to the kindergarten. They handled the situation very poorly especially interrogating him about it without the parents can traumatize people. Punishing him was right but interrogating him so that he wets his pants is too much. I don't think that this boy understands what exactly he did wrong. From his perspective it was probably something normal to show one of his friends his newest and most awesome toy even if it's debatable if replica guns and replica weapons should be toys at all.
    Stop. Get away from the computer for a few minutes and think this rationally. You are starting a religious debate on an internet gaming forums that will undoubtedly end in a flame war, all this from a toy gun thread. This is not the place for this kind of crap and you are doing the community a disservice for doing it.

Then it's terrible parenting, and the suspension serves as a punishment for the parents.

Cap guns are toys, depending on context. If you brought a cap gun to a presidential rally and pulled it out, you'd get shot. If you bring one to school and pull it out, you get suspended. It's really not an acceptable behavior in this day and age. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
    How many 5 year olds do you know that attend presidential rallies?

The only logical reaction to this is to ensure that children of all ages understand the terms "I plead the 5th" and "I will not answer any questions without my lawyer present"

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I dont understand why we even have toy guns? Why do children need to play with guns? Never once have I seen a child play the game "self defense" with a gun. They are usually trying to kill each other. They certainly are not learning proper respect for firearms by playing with guns. I feel it was well within the right of the school to question the boy, since he was apparently breaking their rules. Two hours seems a bit ridiculous though. I am also sick of people pulling the "I wet my pants" sympathy card. Of course wetting your pants is "uncharacteristic." No one should be wetting their pants on a regular basis. I am going to wet my pants the next time I get pulled over by a cop, or loose at poker. Suspension is way too much punishment for a child of that age. I think a more appropriate punishment would be to take his pet dog or cat (or whatever he has) out into the the yard and shoot it in front of him so that he will learn what guns are truly capable of. This is how I learned and I turned out ok.
    Your solution seems extreme, and not at all in the realm of 'okay'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidpci View Post
    How many 5 year olds do you know that attend presidential rallies?
    Probably a lot actually, but that's not relevant to anything I said.

---------- Post added 2013-05-31 at 02:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    No. No, they don't know any of that.
    My two year old nephew knows not to push his little brother, or hit him. 5 year old's are a lot smarter than you're giving them credit for.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

You can't justify this crap with "that's the way it is". It shouldn't be, kids should be free to be kids. If that not how things are, then it's our job to change that.

It is because grown adults do not carry cap guns nor would they for any reason pull one out at a presidential rally. If a 5 year old attending a presidential rally pulled out a cap gun, I highly doubt he'd be riddled with bullets as you suggest.

Actually it's entirely relevant, because this is a five year old that brought a cap gun to school. An adult bringing a cap gun to a presidential rally is a very different thing than a 5 year old bringing one to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidpci View Post
    What is it with atheists? As soon as you see the word God you must shove your belief in the rest of our face? You don't believe in God, we get it, we don't care. You're not special.

The kid wet himself. I don't care if it was 15 minutes, the parent should have been called immediately. There is absolutely no excuse.
    welcome to the internet, where eveyrone believes their opinion is superior, just carry on and dont bother with people like that

My two year old nephew knows not to push his little brother, or hit him. 5 year old's are a lot smarter than you're giving them credit for.
    Your two year old nephew is not smart. He was trained by his parents to equate pushing his brother with bad.

I don't see any reason for conditioning a kid to think that toy guns are bad. When he gets older he'll realise on his own why REAL guns are bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Crappy parents as far as I'm concerned.
    Wouldn't want my kid to get a loss of hearing or a romantic gun idea just cos someones parents were morons.
    2h's questioning is equally retarded imo.

It is a child, learn them proper values for gods sake and dont fuck them over cos they break some kind of rule, policy or social rule.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-05-31 at 06:14 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    Your two year old nephew is not smart. He was trained by his parents to equate pushing his brother with bad.

I don't see any reason for conditioning a kid to think that toy guns are bad. When he gets older he'll realise on his own why REAL guns are bad.
    Guns aren't bad, even if they're used by some minute subset of people for bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.