Thinking about a new Cpu

Last year around this time, i bought parts to build my computer with help from this forum and the wow forums, but since i was on a budget and was impatient i decided to get an i3-2120 instead of an i5.
    I was thinking about upgrading my Cpu to a i5-3550 or i5-3570 (i dont really know the difference), i dont plan on overclocking simply because i have never done that before and would not want to risk anything.
    would i see a huge increase in performance by upgrading my CPU to one of either of those i5s? it feels as if lately on wow and other games that i have to lower my settings a little lower than when i first bought my system and i remember that a friend told me that my CPU would not get the best out of my GPU.
    Currently have
    i3-2120
    Hd radeon 6870
    asrock b75 pro3 mobo
    500w power supply
    8gb ram

No, there wont be big difference except for streaming/video capture unless you're willing to overclock.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems like ur CPU is the biggest bottleneck and you should see a bit of an increase by upgrading to the 3570
    that being said, overclocking is as easy as ever and you shouldnt be worried, there was more things likely to go wrong when u built ur rig rather than OCing. You should get a 3570k and a 35$ Cooler Master 212 and Overclock to like 4.0-4.2ghz, if you do this you will probably see a huge difference compared to the i3 and this solution is about 30% better than going for the 3550/3570

There are almost no risks with OCing provided you follow an easy guide and not randomly change values

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    No, there wont be big difference except for streaming/video capture unless you're willing to overclock.
    i5 seems to make a fair difference in WoW although its probably not worth the $200 price tag.

www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/62?i=363.289

10+ Year Old Account
    Only way it'd be worth it is as Vesse said. If you're willing to overclock it. IE: the 3570k. Otherwise, stick with your i3. Though given how easy OCing is nowdays,theres no real reason to not do it.

Though seeing as you have a B75 motherboard, that's not possible without a new motherboard. So basically, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would save some money, wait another 6 months or so, and pick up a Z87 and 4670K (Haswell) and cooler. Keep in mind, price tag will likely be around $350 for the whole bit. Anything less would not be worth the money spent.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Only way it'd be worth it is as Vesse said. If you're willing to overclock it. IE: the 3570k. Otherwise, stick with your i3. Though given how easy OCing is nowdays,theres no real reason to not do it.

Though seeing as you have a B75 motherboard, that's not possible without a new motherboard. So basically, no.
    thanks, my mobo was another reason why i dont want to overclock because i dont have the funds currently to spend the extra 100-140 for a new motherboard, looks like ill probably just hold off until either the price lowers or i can afford a new motherboard

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually I/we only recommend the B75 option if people state that they won't be upgrading within the system's lifespan (~2-3 years)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Usually I/we only recommend the B75 option if people state that they won't be upgrading within the system's lifespan (~2-3 years)
    Most of the build was taken off of the wow forums and only one or two from here. I regret buying the b75 but i didnt know that last year XD