Thread: The "Dole"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Apparently the kind that think their lazy kid needs a swift kick in the ass rather than endless coddling.
    Since when kicking out a 19 year old unprepared kid to the real world is a reasonable idea and a loving attitude from any parent?

Deleted
    Due to working through agencies i usually spend 2-4 month a year on the dole when inbetween jobs from agency.

Is nice to get something back from the gov now n again after getting bugger all else from them for all the tax i pay. Better my taxes being in my pocket rather than some migrants with 19 kids...

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking a 19 year old to leave home doesn't sound reasonable?

I know a lot of people who have been asked to leave their parents house at a much younger age because they were'nt trying hard enough to get a job or go into further education. I myself was told that if I didn't make up my mind and go to college or find a job, that I would have to find some place to live.

It's important in some cases that people are forced to have a reality check. I know a few people at the moment who say they are 'trying really hard' to get a job, but in reality they're doing fuckall to find one because their parents are too soft and put up with it.

EDIT: @ Knight, a 19 year old doesn't qualify as a 'kid' in my eyes. If you're going to mollycoddle your adult children then they'll act like that. Parents need to be a bit more strict with their children to force them to be more independent and to learn basic life skills. It's very important.
    Last edited by Neetz; 2013-06-02 at 09:06 AM.
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

At your age you'll go on Youth Allowance - ~$500 per fortnight iirc. Your major issue will be rent, if you're living in inner Sydney you'll be lucky to find a room alone for that much tbh, and you won't be allowed to move further out because if you move to an area with less job opportunities you get your payments suspended for 8 weeks (at least you used to, no idea if that's still true, but be careful). So find somewhere affordable that will allow you to move if you have to without losing payments first up.

The general FAQ is here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...outh-allowance

Another problem is establishing yourself as independent. Hilariously just not living with your parents isn't enough if you're under 22. You also have to jump through several other hoops regarding income and so on at that age. If you can't meet those then it goes back to being assessed as a dependent based on your parents income - which as you've said means you won't get anything.

FAQ on independence: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...ependence-test

Going from that and what you've said it seems you're going to need to show you're 'unable to live at home' i.e. that you're being kicked out and have no choice. They may require you to go to counseling, and they will certainly require proof of circumstances including statements from parents etc.

In terms of your general question you can live on it if you're young, careful, and don't really care what you eat or don't have an illness that requires long term attention. It isn't very pleasant though. I lived on it for several years when I was student (Youth Allowance is also the payment for people under 24 who are studying). I worked as well most of the time (obviously payments get reduced when you're earning anything), and that made it quite comfortable by early 20s uni student standards (i.e. now that I'm older and employed I'd hate it but it seemed ok at the time), but just on the payments themselves life is pretty miserable. There's a whole lot of controversy at the moment about how they're literally not enough for people to live on unless they're in the middle of nowhere and there's a lot of examples of people who can't afford to dress themselves or prepare for interviews they get sent to on the payments they're getting which effectively traps them in poverty and so on. It's not a system you want to get stuck in long term.

I'd really strongly advise you to go in to a Centrelink Office and explain your circumstances and see what the options are, it can take a while (~6 weeks) for them to complete an assessment and start paying you so you want to get it moving as quickly as possible now.

10+ Year Old Account
    first let me say I mean no offense, but applying for 250 jobs in 2 years is like 2-3 application a week when I lost my job 4 years ago I was applying to a lot more then that. I don't know the situation in Australia but if you have applied to 250 jobs and only got 1 maybe the problem is with the way you are filling out the application or you aren't interviewing well. I know here in the U.S. there are programs to help young people create a better resume and give tips on how to interview well.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    first let me say I mean no offense, but applying for 250 jobs in 2 years is like 2-3 application a week when I lost my job 4 years ago I was applying to a lot more then that. I don't know the situation in Australia but if you have applied to 250 jobs and only got 1 maybe the problem is with the way you are filling out the application or you aren't interviewing well. I know here in the U.S. there are programs to help young people create a better resume and give tips on how to interview well.
    He'll be required to take part in those kind of things to be eligible for benefits if he manages to get it anyway. I think it's a minimum of 10 applications a week, plus the courses they send you on, and if after 3 months you're not working they have a 'work for the dole' program where recipients do busywork for free about 30 hours a week. It depends a bit on where you live though I think? Like if you're in a rural area there's less jobs available so they accept less applications etc.

Well it was a random number, and there's nothing wrong with the way I fill out applications except that I have no job experience, and I don't get calls for interviews probably based off that, where I live isn't big and the jobs I see I can do or learn to do I apply for but there is hardly any jobs for someone with no qualifications, every job lately states "MUST have 2+ years exp blah blah" obviously it's different in the US as it's a much larger country so more jobs even for inexperienced people would be available.

Apply at McDonalds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Seriously? what kind of parents do you have?
    I know that in the U.S. it's very common for parents to basically kick out their kids off to college or something. Like, they'll transform their former room into a storage room or something and stop giving them any money.

It's just a mentality really, though I don't understand it either.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Apply at McDonalds.
    Can't tell if trolling... Even if not don't you think i've already done that? I've applied to kfc, hungry jacks (australian burger king equiv), mcdonalds, pizza hut, most of them hire 15 yr olds and are usually not hiring anymore where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Perhaps a bit wrongly worded, however in this particular case I mean. I know myself how hard it is to find a job, I apply to at least 10-20 jobs every day in a range of professions, from your average warehouse job to retail sales etc and I'm lucky if I hear back from 1-2 throughout the whole week.
    Remember, EVERYONE has the exact same situation, and people who are unemployed are too lazy to get one of the abundant job openings in every inch of the world. Unemployed? You are a lazy sack of shit drain on society, and need to get off your fat disgusting ass and be a productive member of society. Because all you have to do is walk out the door and a job will be handed to you.

As for the topic, I have never been on "the dole" equivalent in the US, though I was on food stamps for 3 months while I lost my job, my 2 roommates abandoned me, and my house was in close to the final stages of foreclosure. I went to the local welfare office, and tried to apply for welfare. You know what they said? "Do you have any kids?" I replied no, I am single. "Well, then we can't help you as this is only for FAMILIES with kids." As I walked out, I came really close to turning around, flipping them off, and saying "Fuck you". My parents abandoned their house, filed for bankruptcy, and are now living with me paying all my bills while I make attempts to obtain employment in this little piece of shit town where the biggest store is Walmart. And I have been unsuccessful for the last 4 years now. MCDONALDS won't even hire me. I can't even deliver pizza anymore (worked for them all right out of high school, and none will hire me back). If not for my parents, I would have been out on the streets, and probably been a big drain on society as I probably would have ended in jail for resorting to crime in order to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can drive look at dominos or some take away delivery place they are always looking for drivers, money might not be good but atleast you can work and look for something else while earning, or when you are on the dole look for volunteer work any experience is good experience.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Windfury mostly covered it, but for general living advice I'd find a housemate or two. Bills are much easier to manage when split 3 or 4 ways. Not sure how it is where you are, but in my area a 1-bedroom unit is about $150 a week, a 4 bedroom house is $250-350 depending on the age/area. Plus utilities etc. really put you in front when sharing.

Don't be afraid to move to another area where housing is cheaper. For them to cut off your payment would require a significant move, and since you are getting kicked out of home I don't think they would see your relocation as a move of area as such, but rather you just need to find somewhere you can actually afford. If you can be a little picky look for places with good insulation, solar panels and/or gas heating/hotwater/stove (if gas is cheaper than electricity in your region) to cut down bills even more.

For the first 1-2 months cook for yourself, eat responsibly and spend as little as possible (no booze, smokes, games, movies etc.). If you don't know how to cook then this is the perfect time to learn - hit up websites/youtube etc. and learn to take care of yourself. Saving in this way will give you a feel for how much you can save (if at all), and then keep doing that until you have $1000 in a savings account for an emergency.

Also if you need money for bond there are agencies around that can cover it on your behalf. Don't be shy about kitting our your house with stuff from the salvation army / whatever charity groups there are in your area.

And most of all, don't get complacent one you realise you can live on welfare. Don't just hand in the minimum job applications each fortnight. Look at getting an apprenticeship/traineeship, do a TAFE course etc., or even look at starting your own business if you have an idea.

There is a program called the New Enterprise Initiative Scheme (NEIS) that helps people on welfare start up a business, and will link you up with a $3000 no interest loan to help if your business plan is sound. Also NAB offer $10000 no-collateral, low interest loans for this purpose too if your business plan stands up. If you are on NEIS you also receive your full government allowance for 1 year, with no deductions for your business income.

You have a lot of options, and if you are smart about it & can find people to share a place with then you should be fine until you can find work.
    Last edited by poogle; 2013-06-02 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TranceMonster View Post
    Can't tell if trolling... Even if not don't you think i've already done that? I've applied to kfc, hungry jacks (australian burger king equiv), mcdonalds, pizza hut, most of them hire 15 yr olds and are usually not hiring anymore where I live.
    Well, there's nothing more to say except keep trying. Or perhaps consider getting some form of higher education. Maybe TAFE?

Well it was a random number, and there's nothing wrong with the way I fill out applications except that I have no job experience, and I don't get calls for interviews probably based off that, where I live isn't big and the jobs I see I can do or learn to do I apply for but there is hardly any jobs for someone with no qualifications, every job lately states "MUST have 2+ years exp blah blah" obviously it's different in the US as it's a much larger country so more jobs even for inexperienced people would be available.
    Considered doing a traineeship or an apprenticeship?

10+ Year Old Account
    I see hundreds of applications a week and I see some very strange things on them things as small as leaving a questioned unanswered or as big as answering the "have you ever been convicted" question with "none yo bis-nass" (yes I have seen that on an application for a high level manager) sloppy writing, not following directions, showing up for an interview in shorts and a "wife beater" are all things that I have seen and have gotten there app's rejected.there is more to filling out an application then just answering the question right, it is a reflection on yourself.
    Last edited by stabetha; 2013-06-02 at 03:00 AM.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Since when kicking out a 19 year old unprepared kid to the real world is a reasonable idea and a loving attitude from any parent?
    Well perhaps you want your children to live with you until they're 40 but that reality is that kids move out of home and setup their own lives. The fact the OP has NO work experience says that have never worked a job and rely on Mum and Dad to provide everything. So if they continue to do so where is the incentive to move out of that confort zone?

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Well, there's nothing more to say except keep trying. Or perhaps consider getting some form of higher education. Maybe TAFE?
    See education really dosn't matter atleast to employers it seems like it dosnt, i've done 3 TAFE courses already and didn't change anything, my friends who have almost finished uni can't even find part time jobs and friends who have finished uni don't have jobs, out of a lot of my friends only about 5 have jobs and they were through family because the job market here went to shit.

---------- Post added 2013-06-02 at 03:12 AM ----------

I see hundreds of applications a week and I see some very strange things on them things as small as leaving a questioned unanswered or as big as answering the "have you ever been convicted" question with "none yo bis-nass" (yes I have seen that on an application for a high level manager) sloppy writing, not following directions, showing up for an interview in shorts and a "wife beater" are all things that I have seen and have gotten there app's rejected.there is more to filling out an application then just answering the question right, it is a reflection on yourself.
    Trust me, I've been to job agencies when after the first few months I thought I was doing something wrong, they gave me a few pointers and helped me fix my resume but filling out applications isn't the problem, it's just they arnt hiring or I don't have the experience they're looking for, whenever I had interviews I would turn up well dressed in a collared shirt and jeans and would usually get my haircut the day before, the only job I got was right out of high school when I was getting most of the interviews but now it's like "you're 19 and have only had one job? no thank you", kinda annoying.

Also my parents don't give me money, I ask for a few bucks every now and then like once or twice a month to go to the movies with friends but other than that I try to help out around the house to take work off my parents since i'm unemployed.
    Last edited by TranceMonster; 2013-06-02 at 03:15 AM.

Also, something that might help your job prospects is volunteer work.

You can easily net a good reference or two through this, and doing volunteer work while unemployed looks good on a resume. Sooner or later you'll be forced to do it under work for the dole, and employers know that, but if you do it voluntarily it can reflect better on you. More specifically if you can get a position at one of the charity stores working the counter etc. it gives you hands on experience for customer service, arranging floor stock, cash handling etc., so you can have a much stronger resume for getting any other customer service job.

That said I understand how frustrating it is to not find work no matter how hard you try. For a number of years my home town had the distinguished title of "Highest Unemployment in the Nation", and in all my hundreds of applications after finishing uni I only got 2 interviews - one who did mass interviews with every single applicant, and another for a curtain fabric store.

One last thing to think about is seasonal work in agriculture. I know wineries need people at various times of year, not just at harvest time, if there are any in your region.

Have you thought about doing an apprenticeship? That could be a really good way to get into a job/career and they don't really look for experience if they know you're just starting out. Also, you could consider getting an RSA certificate and get a job in a bar/pub since you're over 18.

I've found if you're just looking for a store based job its better to go around with your resume and talk to the managers in person, that way you can make a good impression as opposed to if you're applying online, where they'd get a tone of applicants and it'd be really hard to stand out.