Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarius View Post
    You do realize that calculated honesty exists, right? Blah blah blah.
    See my first post. It applies perfectly to this as well. I would just type "Ibid" but that doesn't beat the four-character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    you're not a realist, you're delusional
    and you can't compare this to a commercial like that, it's just not the same
    Really? I'm delusional because -- and we're getting way off topic -- but I'm delusional because I think a community manager for a corporation is not totally straightforward all the time? That he's not totally real and unbuckled? It's a job. He's not paid to kick it with the players, he's there to make sure there's a corporate (and every time I say 'corporate' I fear sounding like a conspiracy theorist, but this really just common sense) presence on the boards, making sure people get the information Blizzard wants them go get. Now, again, not a conspiracy - not saying he misleads people intentionally, but sometimes he can't say certain things, or he has to leave stuff out. God, do I really have to type so many words to convince you that Blizzard's community managers can't just speak their mind on shit?

If Blizzard gave 100$ to each customer, some idiots will complain cause they want 1*100$ bill, not 5*20$. Just move along...if you like the game, play it, if you don't, just walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

It looks to me like Blizzard's just given up.
    Alternatively, he's offering solid and honest advice. If you no longer think a game is fun you probably should not be playing it. He offers that advice with the caveat of checking back in. This is something a good number of WoW players do; subscribe while the content is interesting then unsub when you're done with it and come back when the new content is out.

Further... he suggests reading reviews and live streams of a game before you decide to shell out $60 for it. That's just common sense. Why would you buy a game completely blind of its features? Especially when games cost $60 or more these days. What if you hate it? What if it wasn't what you were expecting? What if it changed from the launch announcement 2 years ago? What if your only exposure to the game was a cinematic trailer?

So yeah... recommendations of pacing yourself, taking breaks, and making informed purchases. Oh yeah - TOTALLY Blizzard has given up.

Anyway, to relate this back to the OP, you have to read between the lines.

I can't stand people who are like, "Oh, look, he's so cool. He's being so open and honest!"

If you didn't think there were restrictions in the what you can say department, then you wouldnt give a guy points for being honest. If you give him points for being honest, that means you expect him to be dishonest.

So you have to read it in PR speak.

Again: If a PR guy tells you his game is amazing, it doesn't mean anything. They're all paid to tell you its great. But if he tells you 'read reviews' before you buy the expansion, or 'quit for a while' then that shows low confidence. Really low confidence.

Really? I'm delusional because -- and we're getting way off topic -- but I'm delusional because I think a community manager for a corporation is not totally straightforward all the time? That he's not totally real and unbuckled? It's a job. He's not paid to kick it with the players, he's there to make sure there's a corporate (and every time I say 'corporate' I fear sounding like a conspiracy theorist, but this really just common sense) presence on the boards, making sure people get the information Blizzard wants them go get. Now, again, not a conspiracy - not saying he misleads people intentionally, but sometimes he can't say certain things, or he has to leave stuff out. God, do I really have to type so many words to convince you that Blizzard's community managers can't just speak their mind on shit?
    How can you still feel this way after all these replies pointing out the obvious? Nobody seems to think this is an issue except you.

Deleted
    I think it's actually refreshing to see a game company tell people to read reviews if they're not sure if they're going to like a product. We have pre-orders thrown at us for days, people complain if there are pre-order bonuses, saying a company tries to trick you into buying something before there are reviews... then people complain if a company says wait for reviews.

He's right. If you're not enjoying the game right now, take a break. It's good advice. It's not saying "I know my product sucks", it's saying "I know that not everyone can be 100% happy about everything." Diablo 3 is not an MMO, it doesn't require persistent play. Take a break is solid advice.

Really? I'm delusional because -- and we're getting way off topic --
    Some might say that is the very crux of the topic

Deleted
    just...just stop for everyone's sake
    why are you complaining that someone is being honest about their game and how to approach it?
    you know what misleading is? when game developers talk about how awesome and revolutionary their game is, and then it turns out it's just the same as many other games out there, but you're saying that it is misleading when a cm gives you advice on how to better, if at all, enjoy the game?
    you must be one of those guys who would complain if blizzard gave them back all the money they spent on their games if they didn't like them

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Source

OK so first of all this community manager tells us to stop playing the game if we don't like it.

Then he says "read reviews" before you buy the expansion. Does he know it's going to suck?

It looks to me like Blizzard's just given up.
    But its the truth I mean dont like it dont play simple as that, the guy at blizzard is a genious.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I think it's actually refreshing to see a game company tell people to read reviews if they're not sure if they're going to like a product. We have pre-orders thrown at us for days, people complain if there are pre-order bonuses, saying a company tries to trick you into buying something before there are reviews... then people complain if a company says wait for reviews.

He's right. If you're not enjoying the game right now, take a break. It's good advice. It's not saying "I know my product sucks", it's saying "I know that not everyone can be 100% happy about everything." Diablo 3 is not an MMO, it doesn't require persistent play. Take a break is solid advice.
    Good lord.

I can't believe you're taking what he says at face value. He's a spokesperson for the company. If he sounds "refreshing," it's because he knows what people want is some "refreshing" honesty. The community manager for a corporation isn't looking out for you. Welcome to the real world.

---------- Post added 2013-06-01 at 06:36 PM ----------

Here's an example.

My commercial for my new product has a charming guy who admits that my product has some flaws. And everyone eats it up. People go, "Holy cow! That commercial just admitted that the product its for... has flaws! Remarkable! I'm so charmed by the refreshing honesty that I'm going to support that product!" When really, it was calculated. I knew that a little bit of candidness would charm the pants off people and they'd buy my product.

Now you can't really believe that there's no real difference between honesty delivered because someone wants something from you and honesty delivered because someone is simply an honest person.

You can't really believe that.

Anyway, to relate this back to the OP...<ceaseless blather>
    To relate this to the OP: No, him actually giving decent advice (whether or not you want to harp on the "spin" or the intent) does not in any way indicate that they are giving up. Him telling us to "read reviews" or "quit for a while" is more of a statement on consumer expectations (which were absurd before the release of D3 regardless of whatever you feel about it) than the game itself. But please continue to tell all of us silly sheep how we're so horrible because we think someone who represents a company might still have a redeeming quality lurking somewhere under all of the awful. Or don't. Either way: Ibid.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Pollyannaish delusions
    OK, done arguing with you. You're totally right. 100%

He could not have been more honest. Jesus, what the **** is the OP's issue...

Deleted
    Good lord.

I can't believe you're taking what he says at face value. He's a spokesperson for the company. If he sounds "refreshing," it's because he knows what people want is some "refreshing" honesty. The community manager for a corporation isn't looking out for you. Welcome to the real world.

---------- Post added 2013-06-01 at 06:36 PM ----------

Here's an example.

My commercial for my new product has a charming guy who admits that my product has some flaws. And everyone eats it up. People go, "Holy cow! That commercial just admitted that the product its for... has flaws! Remarkable! I'm so charmed by the refreshing honesty that I'm going to support that product!" When really, it was calculated. I knew that a little bit of candidness would charm the pants off people and they'd buy my product.

Now you can't really believe that there's no real difference between honesty delivered because someone wants something from you and honesty delivered because someone is simply an honest person.

You can't really believe that.
    except that is not the same
    commercials are made for stupid people to go like "omg i need that" when they really don't and i've yet to see a commercial that's honest about their product, because for stupid people all it takes is someone to tell them that their product is awesome
    and it seems you're one of those people, you'd rather have the cm lying you that their game is awesome instead of being honest with you
    don't you find it strange that everyone on this thread is against you, do you really still believe you and you alone can see through the "evil manipulation scheme" from blizzard? or maybe you just can't admit that even you can be wrong

OK, done arguing with you. You're totally right. 100%
    Oh trust me, if I were "Pollyannaish" I'd be telling you what a good if slightly misguided little boy you are instead of rolling my eyes at your "why am I the only one who gets it?" rhetoric.

But hey, thanks for agreeing in the end, champ. It just pays to remember that, even in the world of the big, bad PR machine, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Night night!

Deleted
    Well yeah, if you don't like a game don't play it, that sems like common sense...do you really need blizzard to tell you that?

Deleted
    about time blizzard grew some balls and told the haters straight.
    Don't like it ? Fuck off elsewhere.

Whilst it has its problems, Diablo is still a great game, it just lacks a little polish.

I actually agree with the CM. There's just a point where whining won't change anything. If you dislike the game just go do something else. Why is it such a hard concept to grasp when it comes to Blizzard games?

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    hahaha that's hilarious - you don't see them giving advice like this for wow, a sub-based game, because taking a break in wow leads directly to lost $$$.
    Despite one of the loadscreen tips being "Take everything in moderation, even World of Warcraft!"?
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.