Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    For some cases all I wish is that the criminal gets tortured, an eye for an eye. However since it goes against our morals I'd say just lock the worst criminals in isolation cells til the day they die. The real problem is how do we help the victims?

No, torture makes the prisoners tell you what you want, not what you need. I am, however, for working during your sentence. Most prisons already give the possibility to study during your time, if we can make the prisons atleast self-sustaining, if not profitable, then we're talking...
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Management View Post
    For some cases all I wish is that the criminal gets tortured, an eye for an eye. However since it goes against our morals I'd say just lock the worst criminals in isolation cells til the day they die. The real problem is how do we help the victims?
    if it's murder there is no helping the victims. Also what the fuck is with you sick people and revenge? Jeez.... no wonder gamers get stereotyped, you guys fit it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Then you release a mentally broken and unstable individual back in to society when they went in prison for petty theft. Awesome plan?
    Release? What makes you think Hooked would release a criminal? We need to keep the two or three totally-law-abiding citizens in the country safe from those evildoers, so we'll just keep them in prison until they die, either from age or suicide.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Release? What makes you think Hooked would release a criminal? We need to keep the two or three totally-law-abiding citizens in the country safe from those evildoers, so we'll just keep them in prison until they die, either from age or suicide.
    Yeah, imagine a system where evildoers could actually be helped. Oh the horror.

@OP

This topic really needs a poll. Please add one. I'd be interested to see the data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vrsick View Post
    For some criminals i certainly wouldn't care or feel bad about them getting tortured, i wouldn't say i am an advocate for it. Many criminals deserve far worse than what they get. Theres a reason victims families get to watch executions, it gives a sense of closure and on some level, i'm sure torture would do the same thing. For instance, the man who murdered my father is in prison for the rest of his life, i would beat him to death with my bare hands and smile while doing it if i was given the chance and if i knew he would be "tortured" every day for the rest of his meaningless life, i would be more than ok with that.
    Families should not be allowed to watch executions.

Also, the concept of a moral high ground clearly escapes you. The criminal judicial system does not exist to satisfy individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    The issue is: I can go out today, mow down 50 people with a machinegun at a mall, get out in 5-25 years. Meanwhile living in a nice cell, with 3 square meals a day, internet and cable, swimming pool, gym, full health care, free college or university degree and all your your dime...sounds fair right? I like the old British method, you were taught a trade then made to do that to support yourself during your prison stay, beatings were given under the supervision of a doctor if you got out of line. you werent starved but it wasnt the buffet they have today and you were taught something practical to use when you were released....Sounds like a much better plan/deterrent then the "Club Fed" model we have today
    Swimming pools aren't exactly standard in prisons, you make it sound like someone is going on fucking vacation lol. When people talk about prisons in this manner, like it's some sort of escape from the woes of life, as if inmates are in there loving every minute, it's easy to see someone who has no idea what the criminal justice system in America is actually like. Everything needs changes, but the way you make it sound is so far gone from what it really is like, I wonder if you are still here in reality yourself.

What's the point of torturing prisoners? Do you need a legal outlet for your sadistic desires?

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    What's the point of torturing prisoners? Do you need a legal outlet for your sadistic desires?
    I think people are focusing on the living conditions and the lack of perceived change in behavior after incarceration.
    Prison should be a punishment. if the system is not altering/correcting/incentivising behavior to follow the law then its not working.
    thus people want to ratchet up the intensity of the punishment to what some would consider torture. i might regard it as justice.

canning is a form of corporal punishment used in some places for littering. Hong kong or shang hi comes to mind.
    Hard line sha hera (please forgive the spelling) law will cut of your hand for stealing bread.

what prisoners do in prison in some places is tantamount to torture in my book other places its better. as a society if your guilty of some forms of crime
    i say you get a good canning from a calibrated wiping device. If your convicted of crime A and people think 100 lashes spread out over 10 weeks is suficant for "reeducation" vs. jail. i'm all for it.

If your behavior doesn't changes in the first few weeks of some fairly harsh pain... then Jail is the next step cause you clearly cant live by the rules.

so torture = systemic improvement in preventing/deterring crime. reducing prison population/costs. It can filter out the people who can be saved. without subjecting them to the additional dangers of the general population: gangs/rape.

The question "Do you need a legal outlet for your sadistic desires is the subject of a recently released movie. i be leave it's called the PURGE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tombstoner139 View Post
    I think people are focusing on the living conditions and the lack of perceived change in behavior after incarceration.
    Prison should be a punishment. if the system is not altering/correcting/incentivising behavior to follow the law then its not working.
    thus people want to ratchet up the intensity of the punishment to what some would consider torture. i might regard it as justice.
    1. Focusing on hallucinations then.

2. The former does not follow the latter.

3. I might regard it as "the triumph of fatally flawed ideology over evidence".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    As it stands now, being in Jail is too lenient for those of appalling crimes, as they get free food, bed, and even activities.
    They do get free food, and a free place to sleep. They have access to activities dependent on their actions while in prison. For some people this can be as little as 1 hour a day outside their cell. Even then, they are surrounded by walls. They cannot leave. They cannot run down to the RedBox for a movie. They cannot order a pizza. They are under constant supervision yet are still startlingly prone to rape and abuse.

It's hardly the Ritz.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Does that sound appropriate for someone who raped or killed innocents? It is not fair. So as a way to make them feel guilt, why don't we torture them again? It was a common practice a very long time ago, but it has been terminated since then.
    Exactly when was this a common practice? Are you basing this off an actual background in medieval history or your latest viewing of Braveheart or A Game of Thrones?

At this point I would say 80+ percent of prison sentences are a tremendous waste of resources anyway. If there is one thing we should have learned by now from the worlds penal systems, it's that they simply don't better society in any meaningful way. Right now all throwing someone in prison accomplishes is delaying how long it takes them to perform another crime.

Unless it is proven with some certainty that an individual is an ongoing menace to society, they should instead be fined, or subject to forced labor (not silly rockbreaking stuff, whatever job their society needs done on the cheap which they have the skills for) until some predefined debt is paid off. Electronic tracking makes this perfectly feasible, and it would greatly reduce the exposure minor offenders have to criminal organizations. Offenders are paid minimal salaries to support themselves while they work off the fine, then they go about their lives with x years of job experience and the ability to be active, productive members of society instead of permanent leeches.

People who commit murder and rape shouldn't be allowed out.

Some people appear to be looking at Ramsay Snow as a god damn rolemodel on how to run a prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, pour hot candle wax into their eyes and force them to watch the entire last season of Glee.