Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Well, it's not fair and they shouldn't ask you, but you have to be realistic about it: is saying something worth risking your job? They might be of the mind that there are plenty of other university students who would love the job (a paid internship is rare) and would be willing to do the occasional off-hours work.

Personally, I would just do it unless it was a constant issue.
    exactly this,

however, my old boss used to be a proper cunt with shit like this, the best example would be, "Right! were behind schedule, Saturday were working" so I cancel my plans, friday night after training with him (instructor / boss same person) "You know what, lets not bother tomorrow" happened multiple times, another one " working this saturday and sunday" go to work, he stays with me from 9 am, to 11am, he leaves and on his way out "pack your things for 12 and go home" then have the gall to say were behind schedule, I didn't mind doing a half day, but on a sunday its a piss take in the painting industry but again I wouldn't mind but the fact my folks used to have to pick me up (wasnt driving at the time) and hes going past my house less than a hour before I finish, it was a joke,

but money is money and we do what we must to get where we want, consider yourself lucky you can do it from the comfort of your place, but if you really don't want to do it, and you have a andriod / smart phone, just reply to the email and say youve already left the house and are with friends, thats the one I used to use can't do shit then or peanlize you for it

I think people are getting hung up that by doing a small amount of off the clock work somehow translates to you being the who gets abused for other off the clock work.

What Spectral and I are saying that this is an opportunity (singular) to show that you are not opposed to doing a little extra work for the sake of the company. That you are showing your employer that you have a willingness to work harder when needed. This instance is also an internship and not full employment.

Obviously, if you are being taken advantaged of for your self-sacrifice only then do you need to establish limits and if need be look elsewhere for work but I guess people just like to fly off the handle and assume that if you choose this path you are destined to be a slave. The real world and a real work place is much more nuanced than that but again people just continue to assume more than what is being said.

in 1 month internship I had similar tasks(couple emails, phonecalls) to do stuff even on weekends. end of the internship I got extra 300 euro compared to the other interns who I guess were slacking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You people do realize this is a temporary internship OP is whining about right? Internships are not like real jobs, and most normal people who are interns are doing the shit for a serious work reference for future jobs. It is kind of expected that you bring your A game and show them what type of employee you are. When I dealt with interns years ago I treated them well and we did activities throughout the day not just during regular business hours. None of them ever had an issue with any request I ever made I would imagine a fair amount of stuff we did was off the clock and they never complained. My interns got glowing recommendations and in turn got great jobs, I still talk to them from time to time on FB. I am now an intern as I went back to college to change fields in CS I pay to do my internship and I constantly exceed expectations and already gotten numerous recommendations through several of the groups I am working with.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You people do realize this is a temporary internship OP is whining about right? Internships are not like real jobs, and most normal people who are interns are doing the shit for a serious work reference for future jobs. It is kind of expected that you bring your A game and show them what type of employee you are. When I dealt with interns years ago I treated them well and we did activities throughout the day not just during regular business hours. None of them ever had an issue with any request I ever made I would imagine a fair amount of stuff we did was off the clock and they never complained. My interns got glowing recommendations and in turn got great jobs, I still talk to them from time to time on FB. I am now an intern as I went back to college to change fields in CS I pay to do my internship and I constantly exceed expectations and already gotten numerous recommendations through several of the groups I am working with.
    Anecdotal evidence is not evidence, people are different, etc etc.