Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Multidotting = More single target damage?

I'm looking for a little clarification on this.

Our priest is constantly multidotting everything (even when we ask him to single target) as he says it's a single target dps increase.

eg. Dotting shadow adds on twins or the green head on megaera, or the blobs on primordius.

Came to a head as I ask people to ignore the adds when doing twins to help tank vengeance/dps. He's adamant that it increases his single target dps to multidot all small adds, so just wondering if it's correct or he's simply dps whoring.
    Last edited by mmocd7449ed493; 2013-06-05 at 12:18 AM.

Yes its a dps increase. Ticks from shadow word pain give instant cast mind blasts and ticks from vampiric touch give instant cast mind spikes if hes talented into From Darkness Comes Light and Divine Insight

Yes, you do get procs from dotting. Moonkins work the same way.

However, the question comes down to, do these procs legitimately increase your single target DPS, or do they just "make up" for the GCDs lost from multidotting?

For moonkins, it's the latter. For warlocks, (doom) they do gain damage from it, and it's very noticeable if they're doing it correctly. I doubt priests really gain that much from it, if any.

He is correct. If he is spec'd into divine insight then sw ticks have a chance to make Mind Blast instant. Which in turn gives you a shadow orb and when you have 3 you can use devouring plague and if you are specced into insanity then when you DP your Mind Flay ticks much harder on the single target, thus increasing single target damage.

Angry

I dont see the need to multi dot in those situations.

People over estimate the gain of procs vs the GCD's wasted dotting around. Obviously his dps will be higher and he can stoke his epeen all he wants but his useful single target damg to the mob that actually needs to die I don't think would be significantly increased. Obviously to know for sure someone would have to math it out but it's not preventing you from killing bosses I don't see a problem.

This is a current debate I'm in right now. I always thought it was about multidotting. But BF says thats more for warlocks?
    Hmmmm.

10+ Year Old Account
    My sense is that the potential gains if any for the damage that gets targeted directly on the boss are somewhat offset by the possibility of tossing off your procs on something other than the boss, especially if you're moving.

There's no question that multi-dotting will proc more instant mind blasts and the rest--depending on how you're talented--but it's possible to direct that damage at the wrong mob when there are a lot of adds around.

It very much depends on how good the spriest is, how focus macros are being handled and other things. Frankly if my raid leader wanted me to do single target, I'd do it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Depend on the fight and talents used. We could use some WoL to look at.
    Hi Sephurik

SWP is worth it when using DI
    VT is not worth it when using FDCL.

They both provide added dps to the secondary target however. If the target is not going to heal anyways, it may be beneificial to do so. (eg council), whereas a fight like Megaera or Protectors it will not be aside from SWP with DI. To test it yourself you can compare your damage on the target dummies, on the run where you run extra dots, just cut the dot damage by that amount (eg 3 targets, cut swp to 1/3rd)

Deleted
    If he is specced into Divine Insight, then yes, he absolutely will gain more single target dps by off-dotting Shadow Word Pain.

However, don't off-dot vampiric touch on targets that don't need to die.

Deleted
    yes, DI will proc more if there are more SW: P.

also, if hes not running DI, then theres also ToF. with constant adds (like primordius) thats almost a constant 15% dmg buff

Again, the question is not, "Does multidotting give them procs?" It's, "Does multidotting increase their SINGLE TARGET DPS?"

This would also require some relevant math, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Again, Moonkins have the same thing going on (costs them 2 gcds per mob to multidot) and it does not increase their single target DPS through procs. Warlocks have the same thing (Doom, wild imp spawns) and it can increase their single target DPS if executed correctly. It's not a universal answer, but the question is NOT, "Does multidotting increase procs?"

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Again, the question is not, "Does multidotting give them procs?" It's, "Does multidotting increase their SINGLE TARGET DPS?"

This would also require some relevant math, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Again, Moonkins have the same thing going on (costs them 2 gcds per mob to multidot) and it does not increase their single target DPS through procs. Warlocks have the same thing (Doom, wild imp spawns) and it can increase their single target DPS if executed correctly. It's not a universal answer, but the question is NOT, "Does multidotting increase procs?"
    Considering that he will gain more DI procs = More MBs = More DP on the Main target.
    Yes, it will increase your single target. Absolutely yes.

Also, it only really takes us 1 gcd to dot up another add for procs. You shouldn't be using FDCL on many fights this tier. The ones you do, you aren't as concerned about damage only to one target (Council for instance). So it takes 1 GCD to throw up SWP for DI procs, and yes that's a DPS increase in your kill target, if you're using DI.

Quote Originally Posted by Crummy View Post
    Considering that he will gain more DI procs = More MBs = More DP on the Main target.
    Yes, it will increase your single target. Absolutely yes.
    I'm struggling to see the numbers/math in this post supporting this supposition.

I'm struggling to see the numbers/math in this post supporting this supposition.
    I thought common sense would suffice.

Deleted
    Ye, hes now using VT on the poison head on megaera 'because he needs mana' so...

Quote Originally Posted by oggyowl View Post
    Ye, hes now using VT on the poison head on megaera 'because he needs mana' so...
    He actually does need mana, because the amount SW:P spam caused by the amount of movement on that fight can easily oom a shadow priest.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

You need math to figure that out?