Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Terraforming of Mars

Found this on the Futuretimeline forums, very interesting indeed. This shows the terraforming of Mars and approximately the price of the whole process. Of course this would take a long time, or at east 300 years to undertake the whole process (but who knows, it's too early to tell).

What is Terraforming?

terraformingpresent participle of ter·ra·form
    (esp. in science fiction) Transform (a planet) so as to resemble the earth, esp. so that it can support human life.
    [Full Size]

[Full Size]

Little-bit more about Terraforming of Mars @ Futuretimeline.net.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/22ndce...-2149.htm#mars
    http://www.futuretimeline.net/the-fa...rs-terraformed
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-09-09 at 10:54 PM.
    -K

too bad not in our lifetime

Deleted
    Add 50 years or so until the martian colonists decide they want to be independent, and dump the tea in the spaceport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Add 50 years or so until the martian colonists decide they want to be independent, and dump the tea in the spaceport.
    I hope I live long enough to become a cyborg so I can live long enough to see that. Total Recall IRL! I'll be Ahnuld.

Well, to be fair, we would need to have a single united Earth before we would be even remotely capable of colonizing another planet. So by that point all our nationalist socialization should have been replaced by species-centric pride, making the idea of colonial independence irrelevant, because there wouldn't be a mother country.

Awesome find, by the way. I've always been really curious as to what it would take to terraform Mars.

LMFAO.

Fairly interesting, I think. If it's at all accurate, then 300 years/1.5 billion dollars doesn't seem that much to me, but that is just an estimate for something that is really still beyond our reach.

I'm very sceptical about a timeperiod of only hundreds of years when it took nature hundreds of millions of years to achieve it here on earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    well good news, it started 30 years ago.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I'm very sceptical about a timeperiod of only hundreds of years when it took nature hundreds of millions of years to achieve it here on earth.
    Psh, nature's stupid. We're smart! Just look at our planet!

Deleted
    People in the 50s thought we would have robots and flying cars in the year 2000. I'm still waiting for my robot and flying car.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cost and time required to accomplish this are underestimated to a ridiculous scale.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I hope I live long enough to become a cyborg so I can live long enough to see that. Total Recall IRL! I'll be Ahnuld.
    basically what he said, i truly am jealous of the future generations that will get to experience this. I will be dead/dying before i see any visible progress on mars
    most likely drunk and posting

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The only thing humanity is short of is time, doubt we will ever leave this planet before killing ourselves.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    People in the 50s thought we would have robots and flying cars in the year 2000. I'm still waiting for my robot and flying car.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess if major development was put into this sort of thing, we would have a flying car by now. Our knowledge is greatly increased over the 70 years so we can sort of make rather more accurate guesses then what we could in the 50s.
    -K

There were people at NASA in the 60's and early 70's who thought we'd be in Alpha Centauri by the start of the 21st century.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    The only thing humanity is short of is time, doubt we will ever leave this planet before killing ourselves.
    That is the greatest danger, unless of course natural disasters (heard about the Fuji business, while not the whole earth but... anyway that is another thread). I really hope we don't but hey...

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Oh god how id want to be Cybord so I could see this and even experience it my self. Take my organs (apart from my private and brain, though enhance my brain) and viola off we go! :P

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 10:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    LMFAO.

Fairly interesting, I think. If it's at all accurate, then 300 years/1.5 billion dollars doesn't seem that much to me, but that is just an estimate for something that is really still beyond our reach.
    I guess it could cost rather more or less then that. It all depends how the economy is. But yeh, 300+ years and 1.5Billion dollars isn't that much if you think about it heh ^^

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 10:43 PM ----------

Indeed, but who knows what sort of technologies we will have in the future (100-200 years ahead) which would aid us in Terraforming Mars and even multiple planets. Of course assuming we have no real dangers on our planet to get in the way with the Humanities progress.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by frownface2000 View Post
    Well, to be fair, we would need to have a single united Earth before we would be even remotely capable of colonizing another planet. So by that point all our nationalist socialization should have been replaced by species-centric pride, making the idea of colonial independence irrelevant, because there wouldn't be a mother country.

Awesome find, by the way. I've always been really curious as to what it would take to terraform Mars.
    That sort of idea would be wonderful, heh Venus Project!
    -K

This wouldn't work.

Mars is 95% carbon dioxide and the max temperature at the equator is 35 degree C in summer. The mean surface temperature is -60 degrees. I mean if you believe global warming and you remove all that carbon dioxide then the temperature should plummet even lower.

You could change the atmosphere i suppose to oxygen, etc. but Earth only works because of it's distance from the sun.

Deleted
    There's a difference between nature running it's course and we guiding it in the right direction. As you can see, it's quite a big difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    This wouldn't work.

The mean surface temperature is -60 degrees. I mean if you believe global warming and you remove all that carbon dioxide then the temperature should plummet even lower.
    What ?

Martian surface temperatures vary from lows of about −143 °C (−225 °F) (at the winter polar caps)[8] to highs of up to 35 °C (95 °F) (in equatorial summer)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars
    Last edited by mmoc213777db2f; 2012-09-09 at 10:08 PM.