Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you think Adam Sessler is a good reviewer?

For those unaware, this is the man who was essentially the face of G4 back in the day with Morgan Webb. He was since fired, and now makes reviews on YouTube.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Not like G4 exists anymore. But yes I thought it was one of the, if not the, best video game reviewer on that network. I mean out of 5 reviews were like what 5 minute segments? And I always thought the he, and Morgan webb, always hit the nail on the head.

yes, i think him and morgan webb were awesome. god how i miss the original xplay T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    For those unaware, this is the man who was essentially the face of G4 back in the day with Morgan Webb. He was since fired, and now makes reviews on YouTube.
    He works for Revision 3, which video based gaming news group. And he doesn't really just "make reviews on youtube" he also discussing the gaming industry in one bit he does, he does pretty regular Google Hangout vids with random fans to discuss gaming news and does a ton of work beyond that.

And in response, yes. On the whole I think he's very astute and good at what he does. I don't always agree with him, but he's got more passion for video games than most of the people in the gaming industry.

He was the last person at G4 who actually gave a shit about gaming and the gaming industry, and the last one to have any actual knowledge of gaming.

15+ Year Old Account
    I remember xplay from TechTV. I cancelled the channel when it became G4 since it was total crap.

Used to enjoy his show a lot. Haven't seen anything he's done recently. Don't really watch anything on Rev3 anymore either since Diggnation and TRS is gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is something about Adam's voice that gets on my nerves at times. Not sure what it is. However, beyond that, he is one of the very few journalists, reviewers, critics, experts, whatever you want to call them, involved with this industry that actually has credibility with me. As someone who also listens to Yahtzee and Jimmy? I've been hoping he would end up over at Escapist.

I personally find it a travesty that when the "mainstream" media looks for someone to ask about the gaming industry? They usually end up talking to a publisher shill like Pachter, instead of someone who seems to actually know and care, like Sessler.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I like Adam Sessler, he knows what he's talking about. He gives fair reviews.

I love Adam Sessler. I just wish he were more composed when he appeared on news programs.

15+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, when he was fired from G4; it was likely as a way for the executives to just let him go without having to honor any sort of contract requirements or severance packages that he might've normally been entitled to as the Editor-in-Chief for Video Game Content at G4.

As for Adam himself, I always enjoyed his pre-X-Play stuff, and everything he's done on the side; particularly, his time in the TechTV era of Extended Play (which later became X-Play), and while at G4, I enjoyed his Sessler's Soapbox and Feedback podcasts far more than X-Play. When he's not bound by contract to act like a bumbling idiot (X-Play), he's a very professional individual. He may lose that professional composure when he gets excited about a discussion topic when in a roundtable discussion (the Google+ hangouts, etc), but if you've ever read his articles or watched his 1-on-1 interviews at events like E3, he's definitely one of the bigger names in the industry that's worth listening to. He's not an idiot, he knows what he's talking about; and he's always offered fair and objective reviews, placing commentary only where needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I love Adam Sessler. I just wish he were more composed when he appeared on news programs.
    Don't think I've ever seen him in the mainstream. Which ones has he shown up on?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Don't think I've ever seen him in the mainstream. Which ones has he shown up on?
    Aside from his employers, past and present (TechTV, G4, Revision3), he's also appeared on SpikeTV's GameTrailersTV and other gaming media outlets like IGN as an interviewee or part of a roundtable discussion. Though, this is usually at trade shows like E3 where all the gaming media is talking to each other for the one time out of the year.

He was pretty bias, imho, especially in regard to his dislike for Nintendo. The last straw for me was when "Zelda: Skyward Sword" won the vote on their website for best rpg game of 2012 or something (can't remember), and Sessler turns around on Xplay and says "Yeah a lot of Zelda fanboys voted Skyward Sword to win, but we're gonna give Skyrim the award." Lol Sessler can go rot in some hole with the rest of G4's subpar journalists. G4 was never the same for me after Tommy Tallarico left.
    Those who you know as Warlocks are your Salvation through Destruction. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy most of his reviews, and tend to hold his opinion a little higher than other reviewers. His passion for the video game industry is evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
    Aside from his employers, past and present (TechTV, G4, Revision3), he's also appeared on SpikeTV's GameTrailersTV and other gaming media outlets like IGN as an interviewee or part of a roundtable discussion. Though, this is usually at trade shows like E3 where all the gaming media is talking to each other for the one time out of the year.
    Actually I was referring to the few times he has been called on to debate by news media. It tended to happen when there was a buzz surrounding a violent game. Though he was giving good arguments and information... He was stuttering. A lot.

If I weren't at work I'd post some links.

But, like I said, I love the guy. He is the reason I follow Rev3.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he was an alright reviewer. I always thought he was a bit weird though like he was hyped up on crack or something. When it comes to reviews of games though I say anyone can be a good reviewer as long as they actually played the game through and through and is not a one sided fanboy. Hell I could be a good reviewer if I wanted to start reviewing games. Reviews are all opinionated so no matter how much you may disagree with a review it's still that person's opinion, even if it's a big company like IGN. The way I see reviews is it's just someone sharing their thoughts on a game for you to see. You'll never really know how good or bad a game is until you try it for yourself so to me reviews are pretty useless. I just watch them to see the gameplay and to get a general idea of what the game is like. A guy like Adam Sessler can praise a game and go all the way and give a game a perfect 5/5 and I could end up not liking it and he could simply hate a game and give it a 0/5 and I could end up loving it which happens A LOT to me.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-06-07 at 04:05 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    I think anyone that was a part of G4 was pretty much just a lucky member of Kotakus "staff". So, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've enjoyed watching Adam Sessler on TV and on the Web since accidentally flipping to TechTV in the late 90's. I tend to agree with the vast majority of his commentaries and so he's usually the first place I go when it comes to video games. His ability to both be concise and passionate about gaming has drawn both my wife and I in, and we listen to most of his (now YouTube) videos together.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    I think anyone that was a part of G4 was pretty much just a lucky member of Kotakus "staff". So, no.
    Except Adam Sessler predates G4. He was with TechTV when G4 bought it and cut it up into pieces.

I still say that if I saw Kevin Perreira burning on the side of the road I would just sit there and watch him burn.

Meh he is okay, but in no way a Angry Joe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Meh he is okay, but in no way a Angry Joe.
    Yeah I'd say Angry Joe is probably one of the best, if not THE best, reviewers I've seen. I'd say he's WAY better than Adam. He gives every game he reviews a fair score and even his scoring system makes more sense than most major reviewers like IGN. I also like how he plays all kinds of games ranging from FPS to RPGs, MMOs and RTS games. The only thing I wish he would review are Nintendo games since I play Wii games and will soon be playing Wii U games. He said he wasn't much of a Nintendo guy but I just wish he would just try to get into Nintendo games so he can do some reviews on them too. Would be cool to see him dressed up as Mario or Link.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-06-07 at 04:17 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe