Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you prefer to give bad news is person?

My dad called me yesterday and told me he needed to speak to me but wouldn't tell me over the phone, so I am going to see him Sunday mourning at his house. The reason I am asking this is because he calls me all the time when something good happens and has never told me to come see him just to speak to me. As far as I know he is healthy so I don't know what it could be. He sounded very tired on the phone but not depressed, just the long day kind of tired.

So basically my questions are; should I be worried? (I'm kinda freaking out wondering what it could be)and have you ever told someone to meet you in person to give bad news or vice versa?
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

I prefer to give both good and bad news in person if it is somebody close to me (family etc). But if it is something is hard to call since i have not herd your conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to give bad news in person, if i give bad news by phone, message or anything like that, that means that the news are not THAT bad or i will give the bad news with a good news, but also if there's a really good news, i wait until i can meet the person to tell him/her.

Deleted
    No need to be worried.
    Just see what he has to say.

He's probably just trolling, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to give any sort of news in an impersonal way. That said, I always give bad and good (actual good) news in person. It is simply the right thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I prefer to give both good and bad news in person if it is somebody close to me (family etc). But if it is something is hard to call since i have not herd your conversation.
    It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Just the usual "hey, how are you doing? How is school going?" and then at the end he said he needed to talk to me but when I asked what it was he avoided the question and asked when I was off work/school. Then we made plans and that was that.

Move along.

Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

In your situation OP it could be that he hasn't seen you in a while, or that he has some really good news or a surprise for you that he can't share over the phone. Either way, it is no use getting worried about something you know nothing about.

If the news is really good or really bad, I prefer to give it in person. That way I can console the person or see their reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't talk about anything serious over the phone or facebook. It's just wrong.

But maybe that's just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's appropriate to give bad news in person but just because one wants to talk to someone in person doesn't mean it's bad news. Don't worry yourself about it now; it might be nothing anyway, and spending a few days obsessing over it isn't going to have any sort of positive impact on the situation.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I prefer to give bad news in person, but oddly, I prefer to give good news electronically.

As for the OP's situation, there's no need to worry about it. Worrying never helps anything. He could have any number of reasons to speak to you personally.

Personally is certainly better than something like over the phone/internet, as missing out on crucial things like sarcasm and intent (internet) or facial expressions (phone/internet) could muddy your intended meaning and just make things worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    You misspelled "morning" in your post as "mourning". Foreshadowing.

I prefer to never give bad news.

I'd rather give bad news over the phone, that way I can just kind of give bad news and then just stop texting the person and don't have to deal with it. That being said, I'll never be in a position to give bad news, so it isn't really that big of a deal.

As for your situation, I'd say don't worry too much and just see what he has to say. It's possible it's just really good news and he'd rather tell you in person.

Deleted
    If it was me then I'd just want to know what it is. Hearing it in person isn't going to make a difference if it's bad news. Someone isn't going to be any less ill or dead if I hear it in person.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always give bad news in person when possible. It's easier to convey. It should wait until proper setting for explanation.

Good news is something you just want to tell a person asap because it's good, and that is why it's usually not going to be in person.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the only way to give that bad news.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am not sure whether you should be worried or not. If he usually gives good news to you while calling, he might have to give you bad news this sunday. On the other hand, it could also be really good news worth celebrating together.

My advice would be don't worry, as it'll make you feel like shit and stressed out over this.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you to the people who replied to me, it definitely helped with the stress. For those who are interested I saw my dad this morning and like 2 weeks ago he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. It turns out he was having symptoms for about a month but he just though he had a bad cold because the starting symptoms are similar. But he seems to be doing okay for now, hopefully with medication he will continue on that path

Move along.

I wouldn't dangle the bad news carrot. I would find a way to speak to the person face to face if there was any way to do it. There is a certain amount of assumption that this news is bad news though. Worrying over something with no real reason to do so will ruin your life.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."