Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Drone Pilot's PTSD claims.

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news...This_Blogs%22}

Thoughts? I think it's pretty funny that a guy who's never been in real combat, fired any rounds claims to have the same ailment as real soldiers who see war firsthand.

I think killing people probably takes a toll on an individual whether they're close at hand or not. Are you equally dismissive of snipers? Pilots? Naval soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post

Thoughts? I think it's pretty funny that a guy who's never been in real combat, fired any rounds claims to have the same ailment as real soldiers who see war firsthand.
    So they're "fake" soldiers?

It clearly says Drone operator is haunted by his part in 1,600 deaths. That can take a toll on people. If you fly a bomb remotely into a building killing 2,000 you'd be okay with it? It's not a game.

I don't see a problem. Killing people without the use of guns can cause traumatic stress.

It's the fact that he is still suffering, it doesn't matter how you got to that point it's the fact that you got to it in the first place. You can't treat someone that is sick any less then someone else because they didn't "earn it"? I mean that's just silly. I'm no genius in psychology but I feel this is common sense.

You don't see how killing 1600 people, even through a machine, can be traumatic?

Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Woogs View Post
    I don't see a problem. Killing people without the use of guns can cause traumatic stress.
    I'm imagining a swordsman in Middle Ages laughing at a longbowman for feeling remorse about his killing

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bet he's doing it for free money just like the majority of PTSD claims.

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2013-06-09 at 01:15 PM.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Are you equally dismissive of snipers?
    Hardly, stalking an enemy looking through the glass from a couple hundred meters, taking the shot and worrying about exfil is a completely different animal than sitting in a cushy airforce chair at a computer screen, playing spaced invaders on a screen with enough time to break for a nice hot chow.

Hardly, stalking an enemy looking through the glass from a couple hundred meters, taking the shot and worrying about exfil is a completely different animal than sitting in a cushy airforce chair at a computer screen, playing spaced invaders on a screen with enough time to break for a nice hot chow.
    You're missing the critical detail here, which is that this is not a video game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

This honestly is the dumbest thread I've seen today.

"How does this fake soldier whose killed 1,600 people feel remorse and get ptsd?"

You must be an idiot if you can't understand how killing people could cause PTSD. I don't care if it's through a computer monitor, it's still killing.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

15+ Year Old Account
    Then I don't think you understand PTSD. If you read the article its quite clear how he has it. You know from watching the people die and bleed to death from a missile he fired. Just because its through a video up link doesn't make it any less of a real thing to watch.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Well, I say the only "real soldiers" are the ones that do their killing with knives. Playing "pull the trigger" from a couple hundred meters away just isn't visceral, there's no reason for anyone to be traumatized by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    This honestly is the dumbest thread I've seen today.

"How does this fake soldier whose killed 1,600 people feel remorse and get ptsd?"
    I'm still haunted by the day when I used a hockey stick to 'confront' one of my highschool bullies in the middle of gym class. And I mean, nobody was seriously injured by that confrontation. But it's always right there at the front of my mind, able to be relived in full vivid detail.

So I can only imagine what that drone operator feels every day.

Your complete lack of understanfing of PTSD and human psyche aside, I found it petty funny how you said "claims to have" when the article you linked clearly states "has been diagnosed with". Slanted presentation much?

15+ Year Old Account
    PTSD isn't about the distance between you and your target. Killing is killing and as he said drone operators have one distinct disadvantage. They watch the results of their attack on detailed video.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I guess you don't understand how killing people is haunting for some people, especially thousands. Do you have emotions?

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    You must be an idiot if you can't understand how killing people could cause PTSD. I don't care if it's through a computer monitor, it's still killing.
    no, those people aren't really dead.

It doesn't matter how you kill someone. That kind of act would be hard to deal with for any sane Human.