Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question What Car Should I Get?

Im planning on buying (maybe leasing?) my first car. I have decided on a few cars, but I could use some help choosing. Here are my choices I've whittled it down to,

1. BMW 335is - My pop had one of these and I loved it as did he! The lease ran out a few years ago but I think it would be a really cool car for me to get. It has a speedy 6-cylinder, twin-turbo 320 hp engine. The performance is AMAZING. Really nice car.

2. Audi S5 - Pretty much Audi's competitor with the 335is. Cool car, I just feel Audis are a little boring. Really great performing vehicle however! The engine output is similar to the BMW, the big difference is that the Audi has all wheel drive which makes it perform VERY well in corners.

3. Ford F150 SVT Raptor - Two of my mates got one of these and I must say they are beastly. Normally I tend to like performance cars, but this thing is really cool! Off-roading on it is really fun I heard! It has a 6.0 SVT 411 hp V8.

4. Ford Mustang - I have always been against American "muscle" cars, but for the engine you get in the Mustang GT (the same as the F150 Raptor), with the price it is, man it seems like a deal. And a Mustang is a pretty "hot" car. The only problem I have is that the chassis is horrible, so the performance sucks, and American (performance) cars have always seemed cheap to me. But I definitely think that the Mustang is a contender.

Well these are my main choices, if you guys could help me decide that would be great! And I'm open to other ideas, so if you guys think another car would be cool please say so! Thanks!
    "Three Apples changed the World, 1st one seduced Eve, 2nd fell on Newton, and the 3rd was offered to the World half bitten by Steve Jobs."

10+ Year Old Account
    What are your primary functions for the vehicle? Are you worried at all about gas mileage? Do you plan on just sitting in parking lots hoping people stare at your car?

10+ Year Old Account
    wow, those are some choices for your FIRST car..mine was a 1995 dodge neon (in 2002). Since it seems price isn't really an issue...i'd go for the first one!

Don't know what car insurance in the US is like, but there's no way you'd be able to afford any of those in the UK

Of those 4, I'd test-drive both the BMW and the Audi. I'm tending towards the BMW at the moment, but I'd have to decide.

Obviously pickups are too big for EU roads, and we have corners, so the Mustang despite being cool isn't ideal ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    wow, those are some choices for your FIRST car..mine was a 1995 dodge neon (in 2002). Since it seems price isn't really an issue...i'd go for the first one!
    Meh, if price wasn't an issue, going for the 335is seems silly when the M3 is only a few grand more and trumps it in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Meh, if price wasn't an issue, going for the 335is seems silly when the M3 is only a few grand more and trumps it in every way.
    I definitely thought about the M3, I just dislike the extra body looks. Like the hood bump, carbon fiber roof, and the four exhausts. Not worth the extra 10 grand or two IMO. I like two exhausts compared to four anyway haha. Oh, and the primary use for the vehicle is just for a car to, you know, drive to work and school and stuff. I just want a fun car that I would enjoy, as I have always loved cars. Gas milage isn't really my main concern, they all have similar MPG anyways.

---------- Post added 2013-06-08 at 11:11 PM ----------

Do you plan on just sitting in parking lots hoping people stare at your car?
    Haha no, I would actually rather less flashy-ness and more subtleness in a car. Not head turning, but definitely nice to look at.
    "Three Apples changed the World, 1st one seduced Eve, 2nd fell on Newton, and the 3rd was offered to the World half bitten by Steve Jobs."

I would go for the S5, however you might want to look at http://www.a5oc.com/forums/s5-genera...rsus-335i.html 2nd post

10+ Year Old Account
    out of those, mustang, tho i'd go for charger srt8 , looks badass and handles way better

10+ Year Old Account
    So you want to spend 50K on a car to have fun? lol I guess that's one way to go.

To be honest, the car I had the most fun driving is nothing flashy, but handled like a dream. It's the Subaru BRZ. As far as BMWs go, I liked the 135i better than the 3 series. Personal preference I guess. Out of those 3, I would personally get the Raptor. Power for on and off road for that "fun" factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    im biased to wards Audi and /drool every time i see a new one. 3 series beamers are decent but the audi > BMW in that comparison. I hate mustangs and don't know much about pickups to give you advise. If someone told me pick a free car from those 4 audi without so much as a blink. For me to pick bmw over an S5/A5 or hell even an s4 it would have to be 5 series because those come as close to the M's as they can get.

Deleted
    Out of those i would go for the BMW
    The 335 is a really fun car to drive comparing it to the others is unfair.
    Audi lacks soul and is really boring to drive, you'll get tired of it real soon i promise you.
    American cars are all complete crap.

So you want to spend 50K on a car to have fun? lol I guess that's one way to go.
    Just so I don't come across as some rich sleeze-bag who has no value of money, that is ALOT of money to me, and cars are probably even a bigger passion for me than gaming(which is saying alot). But thanks for the input, I appreciate, I really do mate!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive always liked the looks of audi better than bmw. But if your just looking for a car to drive to work and such then i would scratch the raptor off the list. As badass as that truck is it wont be as fun to drive on streets as much as the other cars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Championn View Post
    Just so I don't come across as some rich sleeze-bag who has no value of money, that is ALOT of money to me, and cars are probably even a bigger passion for me than gaming(which is saying alot). But thanks for the input, I appreciate, I really do mate!
    lol Apologies if it came off douchey, I didn't really mean it that way. Usually at those prices, people are looking for a car for a specific reason. Fun is usually at a lower price point lol But hey, if cars are your thing, might as well make sure you enjoy your purchase.

The raptor has a 6.2L V8 (411 HP@5500 rpm), the mustang GT has the 5.0L V8 (420 HP@6500 rpm).

Raptors have a pretty good street ride, given the original intent, but keep in mind that off-road vehicles tend to have more upkeep cost and if you drive with ATV tires (I use BFG TA/KA) they do wear out a little sooner than regular street tires.

Mustangs are cool cars, Shelby is selling a Super Snake (built of the mustang platform) for 210k, it has 1,200 HP. Yes, you read that right, 1,200.
    Last edited by Rocko9; 2013-06-08 at 11:29 PM.

As far as BMWs go, I liked the 135i better than the 3 series.
    This was going to be what I'd say as well. The 3 Series BMWs look very nice, but they're pretty mundane to drive, even the powerful ones. A 135i with the M trim features and limited slip is spectacularly fun and not near as common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackarthas View Post
    Ive always liked the looks of audi better than bmw. But if your just looking for a car to drive to work and such then i would scratch the raptor off the list. As badass as that truck is it wont be as fun to drive on streets as much as the other cars.
    But that's just it, he can make his own streets with the Raptor! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Championn View Post
    You're going to get a lot of people with trollish responses hating on your choice. Fuck 'em. If they don't get the appeal of cars, that's not your problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackarthas View Post
    I think you're underestimating the 6.2L engine's power, those guys like to take off at stop lights lol. Great handling on them, street and off road.

If you're looking at $50k cars you might not care about what I'm gonna say lol, or maybe a new car is specifically what you want, you just said your first car. I'm just gonna suggest don't lease, buy used. A car that's 2-3 years old with 20k miles is still almost a brand new car, and it may still have a warranty and if it's a certified pre-owned (CPO) that usually gives you a couple more years on the warranty. Let somebody else take the depreciation and get $10k off what the retail price of what a brand new car would have been.

I just went through this. I was looking at brand new GTIs, every one I looked at was $28k with the way they option them out. They had a used one that was exactly what I was looking for, less than 20k miles for $20.7k. I got it for $19.7k and it still had 1 year left on the factory warranty and it was a CPO so it had an additional 2 years. The car still smells brand new, looks brand new, drives brand new. It was what I wanted at a far less price.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-06-08 at 11:35 PM.