Why did this game not have a group finder at launch?

-No tanks or healers
    -Release dungeons do not require any teamwork or communication
    -No factions

These things give the game the largest possible pool of players to form groups from, and the group content is perfectly suited for the anonymous, zerging tactics that LFD encourages. I can see how trinity games that have more strategy in their dungeons might have some drawbacks with LFD, but what is the downside to it in a game like GW2?

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Because it wasn't ready. Pretty much as simple as that. I wish it had one in from the start, but they prioritized other features over it. Kinda a shame IMO, but oh well. It's coming...at some point in the future.

GW2 did have a group/party member finder at launch. Still has one as a matter of fact. It's just really user unfriendly.

So user unfriendly people seem to think it doesn't exist. But it's right there in the social menu. Same as it was from beta to launch to now.

An auto grouping feature, is another kind of tool altogether.

The answer for that is unknowable to us. Most often it comes down to development resources. Though we have no concrete answer to that-- only our opinion(s).

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as i like Gw2 it just feels like its missing something without a group finder that other modern mmos have. Heres hoping elder scrolls is wise enough to have one at launch.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't care for a group finder and prefer the traditional route.

I personally prefer the type of group finder they're supposedly adding (supposedly since nothing's final until it goes live). It helps you find groups, but doesn't do the work for you, and allows you to find like-minded people more readily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why everyone wants this feature in every single MMO. It really hurt wow in my opinion and I'm actually happy with it not being in gw2.

gw2lfg.com if you really want something but I don't want another situation where people think they don't have to be friendly in a group simply due to the fact they won't ever seen them again.

Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    I don't understand why everyone wants this feature in every single MMO.
    The expectation now exists in the market is all. It's like not having a trade/auction house type function. A game could ignore such a feature, but the expectation for such is massive.

And obviously, it's popular too.

[I don't have any real +/- opinion of LFG auto group tools. They don't seem useful to me for the type of gameplay I enjoy; raiding. Don't play Warcraft. When I did play Warcraft such tools were not available.]

While the auto-group and auto-teleport are the most talked about features, but it's often overlooked that LFD also introduced the "random" dungeon and of course pays you (over and above the actual dungeon rewards) to do so. Queue times in GW2 will be quicker given the non-trinity aspect and no need to worry about armor types as loot is self-contained, but specific dungeon queues in WoW were often quite lengthy. LFD also has a buff to account for being grouped with strangers.

So yeah, folks talk about a group finder like it's one thing, when it can have many different aspects to it. I'm not sure how the Scenario queues run since I only did Theremore before Mists, but it might be closer to what to expect if that system went in.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I honestly don't care for a group finder and prefer the traditional route.
    yeah, and at the same time OP is asking for it, they are insulting it. Kind of a weird request imo. 'Hey! This feature promotes bad game play and less community. Can we please have it so we can just zerg and not talk to anyone please? I know its an mmo, but, fast queues ftw!!!'

If roles don't matter, and content can be done by anyone, even 'zerged' ... then shouldn't finding a group of others be pretty easy and quick without an LFD? Shouldn't that fact help you communicate and form new bonds in the game with like minded players? Help you set up whitelists/blacklists? Encourage doing stuff with guildmates (in Guild Wars)?

I'm not against LFD/LFRs at all; I just think it isn't always needed, and at times can have a detriment to the community if the bonds aren't already in place (and can still be a bad influence in an established game). It may be ultra convenient ... but I've seen two outcomes ... in one game, I've seen nearly no talking, and when they do, it is usually toxic ... in a different game, I usually see patience, communication, helpfulness, and a general positive disposition (both generalized, both have outliers that break this common experience).

One of the reasons, I would imagine, that people like myself would like a LFG tool, is that playing the game is far more fun than preparing to play the game.

Personally, I think the should have a flexible lfg tool that allows you to specifically try to form for groups yourself like fencers wants but also allow an auto-grouping feature for random non-explorables without teleportation, keynote, you must have discovered its waypoint, to allow easier access during the leveling process. They could apply a daily bonus such as a laurel or a level appropriate piece of rare gear.

I believe this random autogroup feature would prove invaluable to levelers who still want to dungeon as they would be able to find groups without being laughed away by the max level folks., and providing bonuses will get people running non explorable again so others can see story.

The simple answer?

Anet got cocky and didn't think they needed it like other MMOs. They believed that since their games didn't have need for a healer/tank/dps trinity, that everyone would have a really easy time just grouping up with 5 people and away they go. That worked to an extent, but now? Most people don't even bother to run dungeons because of the hassle of forming a group (even though it's easier than most MMOs to form a group). People have gotten use to having a LFG (auto-grouping) tool in MMOs and come to expect it from any new MMO that is released.

And honestly? Any new MMO that launches without a group finder/auto grouping tool is stupid (IMO). It's considered the new norm and a feature that MMOs should have. The fact that GW2 still doesn't have one speaks volumes of Anet's lack of understanding of an MMO. Just my two cents though.

That's a lot of presumption based on... well, I am not sure what.

It is more likely and often the case that video game developers do things which are motivated by, costs.

Does this feature cost us time/resources?
    Does it delay this other feature(s)?
    What does it cost to Q&A this LFG?
    Can we do it cheaper some other way?

That is the type of stuff a PM thinks about in video game development. "Cockiness" or hubris is rarely on the agenda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why weren't there internet access on the first cellphone ever?
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

"Because it ruins the 'Community'"!!!

No group finder was one of the main reasons I quit the game.

I think it was because dungeons were supposed to be tough; tough enough that you couldn't rely on a PUG group on it, so the feature wouldn't really be too practical as you need to find good people anyway.

Honestly, I don't think it's needed now, seeing as there's already a community solution for it.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I think it was because dungeons were supposed to be tough; tough enough that you couldn't rely on a PUG group on it, so the feature wouldn't really be too practical as you need to find good people anyway.

Honestly, I don't think it's needed now, seeing as there's already a community solution for it.
    An improved grouping tool is already on the way for Guild Wars 2.

Devs have said it was a matter of time/costs. They did add a group function to the default game- but it was either under developed or they ran out of time. It's still in the game, fwiw.

The reason is: money.

That is the reason for all video game decisions; how much money does this cost to develop?