Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tech too far? Google-contacts?

http://gigaom.com/2012/04/13/forget-...ontact-lenses/

Amazing that tech has come so far in this field but at the same time is it too far? Im not sure the common person in society needs to have access to this type of introverted pseudo virtual reality.

Deleted
    what the common society needs is common society's business I think

They talk about having cameras on every street corner. But this could turn everyone's pair of eyes into a camera that can upload a live feed to the internet.

A good use might be being able to spot convicted criminals on a streetcorner.

A bad use is crooks being able to identify wealthy individuals for muggings/ kidnappings.

Every time I read about a technological breakthrough I get this thought: Scientists need to drop everything and work on a "eat-as-much-food-as-you-want-without-getting-fat" pill.

/sigh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post

A bad use is crooks being able to identify wealthy individuals for muggings/ kidnappings.
    To be fair, they could have done that earlier. Just takes a bit longer.

Every time I read about a technological breakthrough I get this thought: Scientists need to drop everything and work on a "eat-as-much-food-as-you-want-without-getting-fat" pill.
    They had that. But the US banned it since the product in question caused heart attacks among 80 people in a ten year period in the 1990s. Funnily enough, it can be made at home. lol
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2013-06-09 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

/sigh
    That would be to cost effective for the medical community, just like the dental lobbyist who prevent some areas in the US to still not have fluorinated water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shennanigans View Post
    http://gigaom.com/2012/04/13/forget-...ontact-lenses/

Amazing that tech has come so far in this field but at the same time is it too far? Im not sure the common person in society needs to have access to this type of introverted pseudo virtual reality.
    They used to say the same thing about cars. And then computers. The reality is, if a new tech is something people can benefit from, they'll adopt it.

Honestly, I'd rather people have their data feed in a contact they can easily check, than on a cell phone screen that makes them look like a hunchback and pulls them into a body posture that's inherently antisocial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shennanigans View Post
    That would be to cost effective for the medical community, just like the dental lobbyist who prevent some areas in the US to still not have fluorinated water.
    Isn't swallowing fluorine bad for you though... That's why when they did the foamy fluorine stuff when you're younger they tell you not to swallow any and put a little suction tube in your mouth?

OT: I don't think they're going too far, because one breakthrough can lead to another. The later breakthrough could solve common problems. MORE TECHNOLOGY!

I for one welcome this kind of stuff. These are the things that push us farther and farther into the sorta-stereotypical "future" that I totally support.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Isn't swallowing fluorine bad for you though... That's why when they did the foamy fluorine stuff when you're younger they tell you not to swallow any and put a little suction tube in your mouth?

OT: I don't think they're going too far, because one breakthrough can lead to another. The later breakthrough could solve common problems. MORE TECHNOLOGY!
    The amounts of fluoride that are in drinking water are regulated by the EPA to a safe level. The data supporting that is easy to find online.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    To be fair, they could have done that earlier. Just takes a bit longer.
    The world improves through things being able to get processed faster. Everything we do now was able to be done before... it just took them a bit longer.

And look at us now...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    The world improves through things being able to get processed faster. Everything we do now was able to be done before... it just took them a bit longer.

And look at us now...
    Just saying that the "bad point" is utterly pointless to bring up in that case. It's not like it enables the behavior or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Just saying that the "bad point" is utterly pointless to bring up in that case. It's not like it enables the behavior or anything.
    But it makes it progress at a much higher rate. Just like the ability to communicate faster brought us from small tribes to globalization.

I'd like those lenses anyway... real life 3D gaming but still a virtual environment. Damn I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    They had that. But the US banned it since the product in question caused heart attacks among 80 people in a ten year period in the 1990s. Funnily enough, it can be made at home. lol
    A lot of pills can do that but they can also kill you easily. Pretty much all weight loss substances that work well are very toxic and therefore banned.

I don't see anything to wrong with it, the military idea behind is great, more efficient, hopefully saves lives

Yea the seeing a person then seeing their facebook profile is a bit stalker ish, but thats only speculation, in addition, it takes two seconds to turn full privacy on, the only reason not to have it on, is just being lazy,

Personally I wouldn't wear them, I love the idea, but it takes me 30 minutes to get one "cosmetic" lens thats with another person putting them in for me xD so I'll stick with the google glass

Such lenses are sci-fi, they can't be made now and they probably won't be possible for at least 50 years. Too much technology into too little space with a very limited power source.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Such lenses are sci-fi, they can't be made now and they probably won't be possible for at least 50 years. Too much technology into too little space with a very limited power source.
    The data doesn't display on the contact, the data is on the pair of glasses that serve as the HUD. The contact is to aid the eye in focusing on both the close information while maintaining full visual ability at a distance, rather than focusing on one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    The data doesn't display on the contact, the data is on the pair of glasses that serve as the HUD. The contact is to aid the eye in focusing on both the close information while maintaining full visual ability at a distance, rather than focusing on one or the other.
    Then yeah, it could work.
    How does google glass fix this problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Then yeah, it could work.
    How does google glass fix this problem ?
    I assume they don't care about your eyes focusing on one or the other since no one is shooting at you.
    I'm sure Glass comes with a warning not to use it while driving, like other HUD systems, even as they show you using it for GPS while driving, but I've not looked into it really.