Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What would you tell your boss?

I just received a call from my boss saying that the closer did a no call no show for some reason and that the guy who shoulda been off a 6 is still there.

She asked me to come in and work. Normally I would have said yes but the best buy store I work at closes in 30 min. I told her I had plans tonight and couldn't come in.

I now feel guilty about it.

What would you have done?

btw the plans I have are to raid with my old friends after my server transfer finishes.

What would you have done?
    I wouldn't have answered my phone.

Yeah, probably not answered my phone or do what you did. The 2 dollars you would have made in that time probably wouldn't have paid for the gas to go one way. Have no guilt, the fact that you feel guilty probably means you are a good worker and if you are a good worker, you already owe them absolutely nothing. Assuming, that is, your life-long ambition isn't to be a manager at the local Best Buy, doing absurd things like coming in for a bloody 30 minutes is nothing to be guilty about.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2013-06-11 at 02:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't have gone in, especially if it was for less than 2 hours. Wouldn't have covered the cost of gas.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    They closed in thirty minutes? Then why didn't the guy already there just stay and not worry about it? Why call you in for thirty minutes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    They closed in thirty minutes? Then why didn't the guy already there just stay and not worry about it? Why call you in for thirty minutes?
    Because clearly the boss needed to leave and those little peon workers don't need their free time....that's usually the manager attitude.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

no need to feel guilty over that. It's good to be loyal to your company and want to be a good employee and do a good job, but at the end of the day you gotta look out for yourself as well. Losing money to do a favor for a company gets you nothing 90% of the time. I work in security and done similar things for companies in the past, then promotion comes up and they give it to some random guy over the person who works their butt off. It was a poor management decision to call someone for 30 minutes anyway, so that's on them not you. raid away XD.

Guilt for lying to your boss so you can't come in? Put on your big boy pants.

OP no need to feel guilty. Even if you could've been down AT the store in 5 minutes that leaves 25 minutes to work. It wouldn't have been worth your time. Don't feel bad because your manager made some poor decisions. If anything feel bad for the guy who was there a few hours after he was supposed to leave. However thats not really YOUR problem and if he complains about how you didn't bail him out 30 minutes before closing tell him to be thankful for the overtime.
    It has been scientifically confirmed that if Eiffel was green; he would in fact die.

Definitely not something you need to worry about.

I wouldn't have answered my phone for a work call that late.

i wont go to work for less than 2 hours, loss of money to gas. it's ok if you dont want to net negative for working, it's like paying for the privilege
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

If I had a good job, in my country atleast. I would, because if you're called on the job, you have to get paid 4 hours minimum. So working 30 minutes, get 4 hours payment=win. But ye, no reason to feel guilty, it's not your job to save the day.

15+ Year Old Account
    My boss nags me for the times I say no, and barely says "thanks" for the times I say yes. He also doesn't understand that not everyone is glued to their phone. Like... you didn't answer a text message in under an hour on your day off.

He then proceeds to wonder why the nos are becoming slightly more frequent (I still say yes to many a thing, like working at another store that is even further away when I already drive nearly an hour).

Sometimes bosses are oblivious, or even maliciously dicky.

Well in Oz, if you get called into work whether your there for 3 minutes or 3 hours you get paid for a minimum 3 hours
    Also not your fault the other guy didn't show, as far as i'm concerned it's the manager on duty's problem
    Last edited by Xomniuri; 2013-06-11 at 03:38 AM.

Well, the first question that has to be answered is why the hell anyone would call anyone in for a 30 minute shift. I mean, even if it's close I doubt you could get there less than 15 minutes from when you picked up the phone, so there's only 15 minutes where they actually would need you to work. I think you left something out, because this doesn't make any sense.

Second, all you people who won't answer the phone when you get a call from work are huge dicks. What the hell are they going to do, hypnotize you over the phone? They call, you answer, they ask, you give them a yes or a no. It's not hard and it's common courtesy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you feel guilty about not covering someone else's fuckup? Assuming you work your regularily scheduled shifts and you're not salaried management, I would have to say that you don't owe the store anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    I wouldn't have answered my phone.
    Exactly. Plausible deniability if nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't have picked up the phone.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Such a short shift wouldn't have even covered the gas to get there, and your boss knows it. Whoever was there can tough it out for another half hour, and to be honest I'm surprised they even called you at that point. There's no need to feel guilty. And as someone else said, the fact that you do shows you've got a good enough work ethic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in Canada, they are required to pay you for 3 hours if you report in for work, even if you work less than that.

I'm not sure what regulations are where you live, but if I knew I'd get 3 hours of pay for doing 30 minutes of work, I'd definitely do it.