What is a tactical fps?

I heard that squad requires a lot of cooperation and tactics from the group and that is one of the best tactical fps or the father of tactical fps but I didn't notice a difference from a regular fps in the youtube videos that I saw. There was one player who was running around solo doing his thing like playing a normal fps.

I don't understand, how does a tactical fps differ from a regular one?

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    I don't understand, how does a tactical fps differ from a regular one?
    It's just a fancy term for more hardcore, "realistic" shooters. No "gamey" mechanics where you regen health or have a minimap and such like in CoD or Battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    For realistic FPS games, the best are going to be Red Orchestra 2 (set during WW2 and Vietnam) and ARMA (first one is set during a proxy war between the US and Russia during the Cold War, 3 is set on islands during the modern day). No health regening. One shot can kill you just like that, also you can bleed to death. No minimap. Navigate by landmarks you see in the world. No UI telling you how many bullets you have loaded (you have to remember yourself). Red Orchestra is traditional PvP matches (join a match from a lobby, take objectives before time runs out, scoreboard at the end) while ARMA offers PvE campaigns where you can command a squadron of troops Mount & Blade style and work in conjunction with other NPC commanders and their units to capture objectives. Both games have vehicles.

Generally much slower and less forgiving. Try and play Arma wasteland like you play CoD and see how long you last for example.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Tactical FPS are generally an in between modern, arcadey shooters like CoD and milsim shooters

Man you just made me remember those SOCOM games, probably best representation of tactical shooter (3rd person tho)And the fact cod has kind of taken over, used to love those Medal of Honor games as I’m looking back, think the last one was the paratrooper one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Man you just made me remember those SOCOM games, probably best representation of tactical shooter (3rd person tho)And the fact cod has kind of taken over, used to love those Medal of Honor games as I’m looking back, think the last one was the paratrooper one.
    Oh man the first SOCOM almost gave me first headset. I'm surprised no other games really played with the concept of voice commands, especially now when you voice control a toaster.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Oh man the first SOCOM almost gave me first headset. I'm surprised no other games really played with the concept of voice commands, especially now when you voice control a toaster.
    Lifeline gave a lot of us rage issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    cheers PACOX, remember you a tad, from these threads. God all I get from this place is my own ridiculous, warcraft disappointment and nostalgia. Hope all is well with you bro.