How much of a DPS boost is engineering vs. jewel crafting?

Currently BS/JC. Is it a significant dmg increase if I switch JC to Eng?

Deleted
    the main DPS benefit for ENG is that it allows you to align Synapse Springs with bloodbath if you take it, and Dragon's roar. aligning these is a really big benefit, and the reason engineering shines.

however, engineering benefit is not only measured in pure DPS, but also stems from the tinkers on belt, boots and cloak. although these are mainly movement related and as such less useful to a warrior, they can still provide really good utility.

Yes.. I'm planning to synapse bind with my dragon roar. This times with BB and CS phase.

Is the DPS boost signficant? e.g. 5%?

While it is a quite measurable boost in its active time, i suspect it wont make 5% overall performance. otherwise there would be just engeneers in top guilds.

Deleted
    I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it's that much. it's 1920 STR every minute every 60 seconds for 10 seconds. if you have 20K STR, that's 10% with 1/6 uptime. the fact that it's not up all the time counterbalances the synergy. I think it'll be about 1-2%.

Was thinking along the lines of :

JC is a constant +320 crit ~ 1,024k dps (assuming 1 crit = 3.2 dps)

1920 strength boost for 10 secs every 60 secs = 1920 x 3.7 (assuming 1 str = 3.7 dps) / 6 = 1,184 DPS

It is negligible without factoring in the synergy with CS, BB + DR.

---------- Post added 2013-06-11 at 12:14 PM ----------

Paging for DF to come in...

If you use it properly 30-45% easily.
    Last edited by Choptimus; 2013-06-11 at 03:08 PM.

It makes a minor difference to overall singletarget, but it makes a larger difference in terms of your burst at key moments when it lines up with a Singe-target Reck - and then a pretty sizeable difference on your Reckstorm/BB.

Engy isn't as important for other specs, but since we're all about big burst windows followed by low-dps buildups, then you want to get as much during those bursty windows of opportunity as you can. Gotta go Engy imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by senturion View Post
    Was thinking along the lines of :

JC is a constant +320 crit ~ 1,024k dps (assuming 1 crit = 3.2 dps)

1920 strength boost for 10 secs every 60 secs = 1920 x 3.7 (assuming 1 str = 3.7 dps) / 6 = 1,184 DPS

It is negligible without factoring in the synergy with CS, BB + DR.

---------- Post added 2013-06-11 at 12:14 PM ----------

Paging for DF to come in...
    This is pretty much correct. Because it's a multiplicative increase it's better than a static buff when lined up with CDs.

Line up with CDs = even better. Also for no-movement fights you can opt-in for the Frag bomb -belt enchant for a 500 DPS increase in itself(30000 Damage with 1 min CD).

I switched from Alchemy to Engineering on the weekend, and simmed my character before and after. My results were 194k flat with Alchemy, and 194.8k with Engineering with my current gear (535 equipped). To be honest, I was expecting more, but then again, this is just a sim of straightforward single target DPS and real world results will be different. Fights that reward burst capability for instance should provide a significantly greater DPS benefit.

The real bonus is really everything else that Engineering offers. Ports (wormhole generators and such), Jeeves, Mailbox, Shrine AH access, glider, rocket boosts and more - that's a lot of great stuff alongside a small DPS boost over other professions (aside from BS).
    Last edited by Slaynorth; 2013-06-11 at 10:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaynorth View Post
    I switched from Alchemy to Engineering on the weekend, and simmed my character before and after. My results were 194k flat with Alchemy, and 194.8k with Engineering with my current gear (535 equipped). To be honest, I was expecting more, but then again, this is just a sim of straightforward single target DPS and real world results will be different. Fights that reward burst capability for instance should provide a significantly greater DPS benefit.

The real bonus is really everything else that Engineering offers. Ports (wormhole generators and such), Jeeves, Mailbox, Shrine AH access, glider, rocket boosts and more - that's a lot of great stuff alongside a small DPS boost over other professions (aside from BS).
    It'll be higher. Sim-C doesn't line up CDs for execute phase, and using SS during it will be a larger boost than sims show.

I've been debating switching to engineering lately myself. Currently I'm enchanting/inscription. I took enchanting pretty early on just out of convenience (when I started enchanting made sense cos I could do my own stuff), inscription I took as a replacement for alchemy. If I swapped either of those for engineering it would be inscription.