First time trying to overclock a CPU

Hi Everyone,

I’ve never done an overclock before, and I think I’m going to be trying to OC my CPU soon. I’ve read some articles and I think I have the general idea of what to do, but I’m a little concerned. I’ve read that most motherboards / cpu’s have protection in place to shut down in the event of overheating, and bluescreen instability crashes are easily remedied. On the other hand, I’ve read stories of people completely frying their gear after doing something wrong. If I do something wrong, can I permanently damage my hardware?

Just for reference….
    CPU: Intel I7 3770K
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
    Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

Thanks for your help!!

I'm pretty sure all of Asus's Z77 boards have the OC protection enabled. Best tips really are take it slow. Don't jump straight up to 5.0, take it ~.1 at a time if you're really nervous. Also, make sure you have a program like Prime95 to test for stability.

If I do something wrong, can I permanently damage my hardware?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tóny View Post
    If I do something wrong, can I permanently damage my hardware?
    Yes.
    Just make sure you have a decent powersupply and proper airflow so your motherboard's vrm isnt running hot then it'll be safe. Burning the cpu is impossible with the termtrip signal nowadays being built in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Just make sure you have a decent powersupply and proper airflow so your motherboard's vrm isnt running hot then it'll be safe. Burning the cpu is impossible with the termtrip signal nowadays being built in.
    It's not impossible, it just requires you to be either really dumb, or to actually try to.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    It's not impossible, it just requires you to be either really dumb, or to actually try to.
    By dropping some as5 around the edge of the chip so it leaks to your pins?

Im feeling concerned... lol
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

/yeah, I overdid it on the PSU, 850W gold. The airflow is why I added the case and heatsink, to see if you guys thought I had the right components to try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen it happen believe it or not. This lady brought in her desktop, and when we checked the cpu, the pins were covered in thermal paste. Thing didn't work mind you.

Have you tried AI Suite (asus software)? I have the Z77 Deluxe and I just use the TurboV for simple quick OC'ing. Works pretty well. If you are new to OC'ing I would definitely recommend trying it. I have my 3770k clocked @ 4.5g with it, and runs great with a Noctua D14.

edit: Definitely keep an eye on your temps at full load as I'm not sure how well that heatsink performs.
    Last edited by tekk88; 2013-06-12 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    /yeah, I overdid it on the PSU, 850W gold. The airflow is why I added the case and heatsink, to see if you guys thought I had the right components to try it out.
    But which brand & model? Cheap-ass psu's don't risk it, even if it's certified as gold and 850W.

CPU: Intel I7 3770K
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
    The following lists the settings you should change; leave everything else stock. This is for a 4.2 Ghz overclock.

Bios: Advanced Mode --> AI Tweaker

AI Overclock Tuner: XMP (assuming you need XMP for your 1600 Mhz RAM. Otherwise go with Manual)
    BCLK/PEG Frequency: 100.0
    ASUS Multicore Enhancement: Disabled
    Turbo Ratio: Manual
    Ratio Synchronizing Control: Enabled
    1-Core Ratio Limit: 42
    CPU Voltage: Offset Mode
    Offset: +0.025V

Your computer should be able to boot under these settings. Run some stress tests - I recommend LinX - and monitor your temperatures, eg. CoreTemp. From what I understand, the mainstream preference is to keep peak temperatures under 80-85C while stressing with LinX.

If your computer crashes, you'll need to increase the offset voltage, use 0.005V increments. If your computer is stable (no crash) and you'd like to reduce your voltage, which reduces temperatures, decrease the offset voltage, again use 0.005V increments. Every time the voltage is changed, the system should be stress tested again. Just for reference, my 3770K is capable of 4.2 Ghz at -0.025V offset.

If somehow you manage to do something where your computer won't boot at all, you'll need to reset your BIOS settings. I called a CMOS reset and the procedure is detailed in the manual on page 2-19. Setting the core speed way too high and/or setting the core voltage way too low will require such a CMOS reset.

I recommend you flip over to the Monitor tab in Advanced Mode of the BIOS and set up a fan curve for your heatsink and chassis fans.

But which brand & model? Cheap-ass psu's don't risk it, even if it's certified as gold and 850W.
    Corsair HX850W 850w Modular Power Supply - Single Rail, 80 Plus Gold
    Model# CP-9020032-NA

---------- Post added 2013-06-12 at 12:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The following lists the settings you should change; leave everything else stock. This is for a 4.2 Ghz overclock.

Bios: Advanced Mode --> AI Tweaker

AI Overclock Tuner: XMP (assuming you need XMP for your 1600 Mhz RAM. Otherwise go with Manual)
    BCLK/PEG Frequency: 100.0
    ASUS Multicore Enhancement: Disabled
    Turbo Ratio: Manual
    Ratio Synchronizing Control: Enabled
    1-Core Ratio Limit: 42
    CPU Voltage: Offset Mode
    Offset: +0.025V

Your computer should be able to boot under these settings. Run some stress tests - I recommend LinX - and monitor your temperatures, eg. CoreTemp. From what I understand, the mainstream preference is to keep peak temperatures under 80-85C while stressing with LinX.

If your computer crashes, you'll need to increase the offset voltage, use 0.005V increments. If your computer is stable (no crash) and you'd like to reduce your voltage, which reduces temperatures, decrease the offset voltage, again use 0.005V increments. Every time the voltage is changed, the system should be stress tested again. Just for reference, my 3770K is capable of 4.2 Ghz at -0.025V offset.

If somehow you manage to do something where your computer won't boot at all, you'll need to reset your BIOS settings. I called a CMOS reset and the procedure is detailed in the manual on page 2-19. Setting the core speed way too high and/or setting the core voltage way too low will require such a CMOS reset.

I recommend you flip over to the Monitor tab in Advanced Mode of the BIOS and set up a fan curve for your heatsink and chassis fans.
    This is excellent advice!! Thank you very much for the help Yurano!!!

This is excellent advice!! Thank you very much for the help Yurano!!!
    No problem.

At 4.5 Ghz my 3770K needs 1.275V, I'm not sure what the offset voltage becomes since I haven't used that setting in awhile.

Does this CPU automatically boost perfomance under heavy load? Will I have to disable this to prevent it from boosting farther than the clock I set up?

Does this CPU automatically boost perfomance under heavy load? Will I have to disable this to prevent it from boosting farther than the clock I set up?
    For the 3770K, overclocking is basically setting the maximum turbo boost multiplier.

While idling, the 3770K will sit at 1600 Mhz, the standard Ivy Bridge idle state. When loaded (eg. with LinX), the 3770K will clock up to the maximum turbo multiplier setting (42 for 4.2 Ghz as listed previously).

So no, the CPU won't boost above the defined turbo core ratio.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-06-12 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    For the 3770K, overclocking is basically setting the maximum turbo boost multiplier.

While idling, the 3770K will sit at 1600 Mhz, the standard Ivy Bridge idle state. When loaded (eg. with LinX), the 3770K will clock up to the maximum turbo multiplier setting (42 for 4.2 Ghz as listed previously).

So no, the CPU won't boost above the defined turbo core ratio.
    Thanks again!