Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Dreadlord ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    997
    you guys do know that they currently make more money with their current model than they would by removing the hardware aspect right? plus if they decided to do such a thing, their games would most likely get worse due to sony/microsoft butting their heads in with THEIR hardware requirements. nintendo just cuts out the middleman with their current system and makes their shit however they damn well please.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    you guys do know that they currently make more money with their current model than they would by removing the hardware aspect right?
    ...and your evidence behind this bold statement is exactly...?

    My evidence are two companies... Activision and Electronic Arts. Further evidence are companies like Blizzard, Zenimax and Bethesda.

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-12 at 02:57 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    plus if they decided to do such a thing, their games would most likely get worse due to sony/microsoft butting their heads in with THEIR hardware requirements. nintendo just cuts out the middleman with their current system and makes their shit however they damn well please.
    ...you do realize they're having the OPPOSITE problem right now - 3rd parties are butting heads with Nintendo because of THEIR hardware requirements.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...and your evidence behind this bold statement is exactly...?

    My evidence are two companies... Activision and Electronic Arts. Further evidence are companies like Blizzard, Zenimax and Bethesda.
    Short of Blizzard (whos longer term financials I'm unsure of, though I know they've consistently been profitable), Nintendo has a much longer history of profitability than any one of those companies you listed.

    Activision, EA, Zenimax (who own Bethesda), and others have all posted losses multiple times over the years. Nintendo has had an earnings history most companies dream of. Their current situation isn't as rosy as before, but it's hardly grim.

  4. #24
    That's how exclusives work. Sucks, but that's just how it is. I'm happy enough with Nintendo products to continue buying their consoles. There are some games on Xbox 360 that I have been eager to play, but I didn't ever drop money on an Xbox. That's life. It's what keeps the market competitive and allows for companies to grow. That's part of the industry.

  5. #25
    Frankly, I prefer the look and feel of nintendo's system and games. I'll take a fun, immersive game, over one that looks good any day. The HD movie quality stuff gets old fast anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razia
    Hey Garrosh, stop screaming so loud. No, you can scream, it's alright. Just take it down about... 5% please. Thanks!

  6. #26
    Dreadlord ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...and your evidence behind this bold statement is exactly...?

    My evidence are two companies... Activision and Electronic Arts. Further evidence are companies like Blizzard, Zenimax and Bethesda.
    evidence being their previous financial history. they make LOADS of money with their current model, more than the other members of the big 3 (hell in 07 microsoft lost 1.96 billion and sony lost 1.97 billion compared to nintendo's GAIN of 1.91 billion and we don't hear about them "suffering") last year was the first time nintendo has posted losses pretty much since i've been alive. so also how are those companies "evidence" anyway? i don't see how they are relevant.

    edit: btw here's an earning list for all of the big three tracking from 98' to Q4 of 09'
    Last edited by ranku; 2013-06-12 at 03:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  7. #27
    The problem is the gimmicks they try to push into the new systems. Only one has worked IMO and it was the Dual Screen idea for handhelds. After that came Motion Control, then 3D w/o glasses, then tablet gaming with some motion controls still attached to some games...they all really turned me off. I'm frightened as to what next innovation they will push to their future systems instead of just making them optional.

    To me, the gamecube was the pinnacle of their home consoles.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...and your evidence behind this bold statement is exactly...?

    My evidence are two companies... Activision and Electronic Arts. Further evidence are companies like Blizzard, Zenimax and Bethesda.[COLOR="red"]
    Uuuuh.... They get WAY more money at the end of the day from each Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Metroid, etc... game than they would if Sony and MS got cuts.

    I am willing to bet they do some serious math every few years to reevaluate their place in the market. They probably know exactly what will make them the most cash, (but also keep their name clean), which is what they strive for. They won't quit making consoles and start selling thier IP's until they know there is no other way to make bank.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -Paul Krugman

  9. #29
    Dreadlord ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    The problem is the gimmicks they try to push into the new systems. Only one has worked IMO and it was the Dual Screen idea for handhelds. After that came Motion Control, then 3D w/o glasses, then tablet gaming with some motion controls still attached to some games...they all really turned me off. I'm frightened as to what next innovation they will push to their future systems instead of just making them optional.

    To me, the gamecube was the pinnacle of their home consoles.
    ... you do realize that most of those gimmicks ARE optional right? especially with the 3ds, just turn of the slider and case closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Uuuuh.... They get WAY more money at the end of the day from each Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Metroid, etc... game than they would if Sony and MS got cuts.
    Yeah. Sony/Microsoft would absolutely murder to get the kind of first party sales that Nintendo has gotten over the years. That's why you see them working on first franchises for their respective consoles so hard, because those are the most profitable games for them. Sure, they may move more total software units in a year than Nintendo, but Nintendo doesn't need to move as many software units when they're making more on average per unit sold.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    ... you do realize that most of those gimmicks ARE optional right? especially with the 3ds, just turn of the slider and case closed.
    I always forget that the 3DS even has 3D, haha. Sure, it's a gimmick, but that doesn't change the fact that there are still great games for it! I don't regret my purchase at all.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewarior View Post
    Agreed. Nintendo games are about GAMEPLAY not graphics. Better hardware would not make a better game. Idk how people could think putting it on xbone or ps4 would make it better. Nintendo has never been for graphics and doesn't need to be. Gameplay makes a GAME not graphics.
    I bought the Shawn Johnson snowboard game, how can you not design a game to switch your stance to goofy foot? Thats like making a baseball game where everyone is right handed. Nintendo is junk.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    I bought the Shawn Johnson snowboard game, how can you not design a game to switch your stance to goofy foot? Thats like making a baseball game where everyone is right handed. Nintendo is junk.
    Nintendo didn't develop the game. I can't find the developer, but it was published by Zoo Games, not Nintendo.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    I bought the Shawn Johnson snowboard game, how can you not design a game to switch your stance to goofy foot? Thats like making a baseball game where everyone is right handed. Nintendo is junk.
    I don´t really know which game is that but...what you´re saying is you bought a game that didn´t have good gameplay, THEREFORE NINTENDO IS JUNK?.

    Obviously all consoles have games that dont have good gameplay, or are just plain bad.

  15. #35
    Herald of the Titans Snes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,851
    Look at what Microsoft did to Rare.

    The same would happen to Nintendo.

    If Nintendo goes software, it'll be for tablets, not for Playstation or XBOX. Also, Wii U will be the only system going forward with free online.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by jemd13 View Post
    Obviously all consoles have games that dont have good gameplay, or are just plain bad.
    A:CM would put even PCs on that list

    Whoever you fear, fear me more.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Short of Blizzard (whos longer term financials I'm unsure of, though I know they've consistently been profitable), Nintendo has a much longer history of profitability than any one of those companies you listed.
    How much of that is attributed to the 3DS vs their console division?
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Look at what Microsoft did to Rare.

    The same would happen to Nintendo.

    If Nintendo goes software, it'll be for tablets, not for Playstation or XBOX. Also, Wii U will be the only system going forward with free online.
    I think the discussion is over D:. Rare was murdered by Microsoft. No thanks, Nintendo should keep going with consoles.

  19. #39
    The fact of the matter is that this generation, much like the last, comes down to a simple question: Do you want to play Nintendo exclusives or triple-A third party titles more? That's an objective fact.

    It shouldn't be that way. Everyone saying "hardware specs don't matter, it's gameplay!" is deluded. While I agree to an extent, obsolete hardware means having the same fantastic third-party titles as Xbox and PS4 is nothing more than a fantasy. Wii U isn't going to get Unreal 4 games, Frostbite 3 games, etc. There will be no Mass Effect 4, no Dragon Age 3, No Elder Scrolls VI. All the Wii U will receive is watered-down ports and family-friendly party games.

    As a consumer, I should NOT have to choose between first party Nintendo titles and triple-A third party ones. If Nintendo had BOTH, it would truly be unstoppable, and it boggles my mind as to why they haven't chosen to go down that path this generation. We still haven't seen a compelling and convincing use of the Wii U's gamepad, there's literally no Wii Sports equivalent on the Wii U to demonstrate the controller's potential. It's not a must-own.

    Any first-party Nintendo titles that we've seen just look like more of the same, playing-it-safe content. Another sidescrolling Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario 3D Land part 2 for Wii.... they should have come up with something better and more inventive for the first 3D Wii U Mario game. This just makes it seem like even they couldn't think of a compelling idea for how their controller could be put to use in interesting and fun new ways.

    Once again, graphics DO matter when the lack of them holds a system back from getting great games. "That's how it's always been" isn't even true, and it's a stupid, narrow-minded way of looking at the situation.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    You know what? Fuck exclusives period. Every game should be on ever console.

    Seriously, I despise the notion of games being locked to one console or another arbitrarily. Unless there's some legitimate hardware reason, put it out on everything.

    It sucks that you're upset OP, but that's how a fan of any exclusive franchise feels about said exclusive franchise. Exclusives suck.
    That makes no sense at all. There are different consoles because each company is fighting each other to make profits. They can't exist separately if every game was on every console... What fucking sense would it make to even have more than one company in the hardware industry at that point? There'd be no way for any of the three major companies to succeed beyond the other two because every game would be available on every system. Seems like an obvious answer. They can't offer any incentive for someone to buy their console if every other console also offers the exact same major titles.

    I own a Wii U and I love its so called gimmicks. I love the touch pad and how it functions with games. People who vomit hateful remarks about it either don't own one or are simply miserable human beings who don't care much for anything and end up screaming into microphones in online games like little children. This generation of gamers is entitled as fuck to think every system should be box+controller and games shouldn't be exclusive. Jesus Christ, if you don't like one console's style, go to another one and shut the fuck up about it. Nobody is forcing you to play anything so if you have a problem with Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft, then get some fucking thing else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •