Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Find the Blue post or an official statement by Blizz about this then your statement might be a bit more credible.
    is an interview with Chris Metzen and Dave Kosak not good enough?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroZero View Post
    Even with that things can change and they have and well it ties in better with Y'shaarj's seven heads as many folks have mentioned http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/10/07/kn...-lore-the-sha/ and this little article though when written was all speculation and guessing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh obviously things change, someone just asked what my source was for their originally only being 6 sha planned. Thus the link the i dug from an old discussion about the seventh sha when it was first confirmed to exist.

Deleted
    7 heads of Y'Shaarj = 7 Sha's, is that so hard to comprehand?

Even in 5.1 one could put the pieces together to it. 6 doesn't make 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except in that interview he said there were only 6 sha. I always felt there would be a seventh but that wasn't really what this thread was about. It was about disappointment that it ended up being pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    However Pride as a Deadly Sin is Hubris (pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris (Greek), it was simply just translated to Pride for some reason.
    Yeah, I'm just the kind who likes to split linguistic hairs when it comes to word choice - I found that paying attention to a person's word choice can mean a lot of difference.

As the ShaoHao said, "Pride is good until it becomes bad". Yes, things like, say, pride in your work produces good, rather than shabby, product. That is good. Having enough pride to want to see your race prosper, that is good. But these things slide into hubris - the story of Arachne is illustrative of the first, and many historical references can be found to illustrate when the latter slides from pride to hubris (supremacy) - and that latter one is where many people have a hard time seeing the line (witness how "white pride" is always automatically taken to mean "white supremacy", even though there is - or should be - a clearly defined difference).

The English language is a wonderful, flexible thing - it's probably the most utilitarian language the world has ever seen. However, that flexibility has caused its native speakers to erode it in such a way in that Krazy Kat's philosophy becomes more true by the day - "Men use language in order to misunderstand one another" (paraphrased. I cleaned up the patois. For amusement, also see Eric Bogle's "Silly Slang Song".) I think Hubris would have been more to the point.

*shrugs

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    is an interview with Chris Metzen and Dave Kosak not good enough?
    Yes but with how from what I understand of the interview it does give the writing dept somewhere to go when they are talking about seven but we only see six to start with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRaccoon View Post
    Yeah, I'm just the kind who likes to split linguistic hairs when it comes to word choice - I found that paying attention to a person's word choice can mean a lot of difference.

As the ShaoHao said, "Pride is good until it becomes bad". Yes, things like, say, pride in your work produces good, rather than shabby, product. That is good. Having enough pride to want to see your race prosper, that is good. But these things slide into hubris - the story of Arachne is illustrative of the first, and many historical references can be found to illustrate when the latter slides from pride to hubris (supremacy) - and that latter one is where many people have a hard time seeing the line (witness how "white pride" is always automatically taken to mean "white supremacy", even though there is - or should be - a clearly defined difference).

The English language is a wonderful, flexible thing - it's probably the most utilitarian language the world has ever seen. However, that flexibility has caused its native speakers to erode it in such a way in that Krazy Kat's philosophy becomes more true by the day - "Men use language in order to misunderstand one another" (paraphrased. I cleaned up the patois. For amusement, also see Eric Bogle's "Silly Slang Song".) I think Hubris would have been more to the point.

*shrugs
    Hubris sounds more appropriate to me, but I imagine a lot of the user base would probably have no idea what it was/meant.

Deleted
    as many others i knew that the final sha was pride. however, dont feel ashamed that you didnt see it befor - noone knows everything

Anyone else disappointed that its the Sha of Pride and not something original(sin)? I was hoping they would make the final one an amalgamation of the other six, like War, Destruction, Chaos etc. But no they go with the lame seven deadly sins shtick.

BLAH!
    Well there is some overlap between the seven deadly sins and the sha because they're each based around what one culture perceived as negative emotions (catholic european christianity versus pandaren culture) but many of the currently know Sha don't line up with a Deadly Sin at all...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Yes but with how from what I understand of the interview it does give the writing dept somewhere to go when they are talking about seven but we only see six to start with.
    um.. was that an english sentence... not sure what you were attempting to say. Please rephrase or clean up the post.

Deleted
    I can't help but think everything I've seen on 5.4 already looks like it should be back in the Warhammer games.

The Garrosh model is absolutely shocking, whether it's placeholder or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    as many others i knew that the final sha was pride. however, dont feel ashamed that you didnt see it befor - noone knows everything
    I think I just need to avoid speculation threads, because they get my hopes and imagination all riled up and like with many things that get hyped, the reality seldom lives up to the hype around it.

---------- Post added 2013-06-12 at 04:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    I can't help but think everything I've seen on 5.4 already looks like it should be back in the Warhammer games.

The Garrosh model is absolutely shocking, whether it's placeholder or not.
    shocking good, or shocking bad?

Deleted
    i'm glad they don't look all exactly the same /sarcasm

Deleted
    I am more disappointed that Garrosh Shitscream get infected with the Sha of Pride..nothing he have done have nothing to do with Pride..he is a using his Warchief Power and act all mighty..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    i'm glad they don't look all exactly the same /sarcasm
    different colors... gosh... ^_^ /facetious?

Hubris sounds more appropriate to me, but I imagine a lot of the user base would probably have no idea what it was/meant.
    Yes, I agree with you here, they just went with the more commonly-known word, even the shade of meaning doesn't quite fit.

Sigh, it's a shame that the Greco-Roman myths have been presented so wrong for so long. They're not "just" nursery stories with no rhyme, reason, or nothing to teach, any more than the more ridiculous bible stories are meaningless.

And a big point in Greek myths was the sin of Hubris. Gods hated when mortals got uppity and started comparing themselves to the Olympians. Even Apollo (an Olympian god) got offended at Pan claiming to be a (minor) god of music (Pan was a rural, non-Olympian god). Upon Pan's defeat, his biggest follower had his ears turned into that of a donkey by Apollo as punishment for backing the wrong god.

Athena was originally killed for presuming to weave as well as Athena (one of her minors was weaving), but Athena was a nice lady who repented of such spur-of-the-moment violence, and rezzed the woman as a spider in recompense.

Sysiphus was punished for all eternity for daring to hide a friend from the gods' punishment for his own hubris.

Also see "Bauchus and Philemon".
    Last edited by FunkyRaccoon; 2013-06-12 at 10:52 AM.

Deleted
    "Pride. It is the most insidious of sha. It is good until it is bad. And then it is more dangerous than all the others combined."

If you look at it that way; PRIDE, even in real life, eventualy leads to hatred, anger, violance, fear, doubt and despair. Regardless of how you look at it.

Deleted
    Pride is indeed as mentioned in the short emperor questline added 5.3 the weakest of all 7 sha's. however it can also be the strongest of them all depending who the person(s) is/are.

using sha of pride at garrosh is a very fitting one, far more then any of the other 6. he's incredibly full of himself and his orcs, meaning that the sha of pride could get really empowered by their blown up ego's.

Seven Sha makes sense. Y'Shaarj is referred to as having 'seven heads', and 'breathing seven breaths'. There is also a reference to a seven-eyed goat in Yoggy's puzzle box. The Emperor has seven burdens, during which he imprisoned the Sha. There is absolutely nothing that points to there only being six.

As for Pride, that has been hinted at for a long time. Pride was the last emotion the Emperor didn't cast away, and it was his pride that caused the mists to begin with (as he believed the Pandaren people could deal with their own problems). Pride was pretty much confirmed in 5.3 by Shaohao himself upon completing that climb-the-mountain quest.

Quite frankly, if it were anything other than pride, *I* would be disappointed.