Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Good Gaming Monitor?

Hello,

Im looking for a good gaming monitor to mainly play pc games and consoles maybe. I don't care about budget but if it is around 270 it would be amazing.

Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of games? If you're playing FPSs you'll want a TN panel, but otherwise you should get an IPS panel.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    What kind of games? If you're playing FPSs you'll want a TN panel, but otherwise you should get an IPS panel.
    MMMMM games like world of warcraft, LOL, BF3,Counter strike etc

Deleted
    $270 you said?

Dell U2412M $270 (24" No HDMI though if you need that)

Asus MX239H $230 (23" dual HDMI)

Asus PB238Q $200 (23" HDMI)

Deleted
    Get a 120hz monitor, it's worth it.

A recommendation is BenQ xl2410T/xl2420T

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Givemount View Post
    Get a 120hz monitor, it's worth it.

A recommendation is BenQ xl2410T/xl2420T
    Wow and other MMO's he isn't going to be running 90+fps so not worth it for those. Assuming he has a quite powerful rig he might be able to do 90+ in some of the other games but then again we don't know, again not worth getting a 120Hz monitor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    There's some IPS panel with really low latency and they are really cheap since a few weeks. I have one IPS and one TN, can't see the difference in latency at all, must be a 2ms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Wow and other MMO's he isn't going to be running 90+fps so not worth it for those. Assuming he has a quite powerful rig he might be able to do 90+ in some of the other games but then again we don't know, again not worth getting a 120Hz monitor.
    MMOchampion army of clueless are on the attack!

I get 120 FPS in WoW, and I don't even have an uptodate rig. i5-2500k@4.5ghz+GTX580 stock

Running at 120hz even if you do not get the full 120 FPS looks great. I guess you never tried one based on your stupid comment.

User was infracted for flaming.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-06-13 at 12:11 PM.

Deleted

I get 120 FPS in WoW, and I don't even have an uptodate rig. i5-2500k@4.5ghz+GTX580 stock

Running at 120hz even if you do not get the full 120 FPS looks great. I guess you never tried one based on your stupid comment.
    Yeah, and when you are doing LFR or raids in general that will drop to <60 fps.

It is basicly up to the OP if he wants to have 120 Hz or a IPS panel. My personal preference is IPS, stuff just looks better. And the viewing angles are great, so you can just hang out on your couch while watching movies without the need to adjust the screen.

Deleted

Ugh you in every thread, so hostile and so many odd comments. If you're raiding LFR/25 man (yes I know raiding specifically wasn't mentioned) NO ONE gets ever 55+FPS. Your 120FPS is standing somewhere with no people looking down on the ground or on low settings (which kinda defeats the purpose). If you read my comment carefully again then you'll see I said 90+FPS otherwise yes a 120Hz monitor is not worth is for anything. Yes I've played on a 120Hz screen, it's not some magical unicorn. Without knowing OP's system there is no way you'll have me recommend a 120Hz screen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Response time and refresh rate aren't the same thing. Response time is how long it takes the screen to react to information being sent to it through one of the monitor inputs (or to be technically correct, how long it takes for a pixel to go from one colour to another and back again), refresh rate is how many times the screen is 'repainted' with new image data. The screen is refreshed regardless of what's going on, it's a mindless process. Repainting with new data is an intelligent process, and only happens when something on the screen has changed.

TN are good at high refresh rate, but poor at response time. They're also modest (at best) with colour representation, contrast and viewing angles.

IPS are good at response time, but poor at high refresh rate (such that high refresh rate on IPS panels isn't even out there yet, not without overclocking your monitor - rather risky). IPS are extremely good at colour representation and viewing angles.

A TN panel might have a 70° viewing angle before you get colour and gamma shifting, a 1:1000 contrast ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, and 8ms GTG response time. An IPS panel on the other hand, might have 178° viewing angle, 1:1000000 contrast ratio, 60Hz refresh rate, and 2ms GTG response time.

The viewing angles of IPS panels are so good that I can look down almost the edge of mine, and still make out elements on the other side of the screen. In fact, reflections from the room are what really stop me from being able to view it from anything above 175° angles. There's no colour or gamma shift. With the TN panel, I can still view from a high angle, but gamma and colour shift start to happen around 120°. On some older panels, it'd actually cause the image to appear negative, and in some cases it was so bad that this would happen in the corners of images even if you were looking at the center of the screen. These days, TN panels aren't so bad, but their colours and contrast are still a world away from IPS.

If you're playing high-rate games such as Quake (or quake-based games), CS 1.6, or even racing games, a TN panel at 120hz+ is superior. If you're playing slower rate games like WoW, LoL, SC2 or even BF3, then IPS is a nicer choice particularly due to the colours. Movies are also nicer to watch on IPS screens.

I've played WoW, SC2, and BF3 on both TN 120Hz and IPS 60Hz and in all 3 cases, I prefer the IPS panel. Admittedly, the resolution of the IPS panel is higher, but I'm speaking regardless of that (since UI scaling in all 3 games makes elements the same size). What looks white on the IPS screen looks cream on the TN screen (at default settings on both).
    Thank you for the clarification, all I can do is agree.
    While gaming on a 120Hz can be superior for certain games and with a good rig, I now also prefer gaming on an IPS panel for any games (FPS or MMOs).
    Granted I've never played on a 120Hz, but I was playing on CRTs a few years back and TN panels felt sluggish at first, I have no such problems with IPS. IPS rocks .

A lot of people have ordered a Qnix QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" and have had great success in overclocking them since they're PLS panels.

There's a huge thread about them on Overclocker along with the X-Star brand of Korean PLS monitors.

But the only thing is you're taking a risk by ordering from a Korean eBay store..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236313

1ms GTG response time. So I'm not sure where the talk about low response time comes from. Even my vg278he has a 2ms GTG.

If you are buying a monitor with the main purpose for gaming then the monitor I linked or the BenQ alternative are the best monitors available. Color accuracy and viewing angles don't mean much of anything.

I have an IPS and it really doesn't compare for fps gaming. For mmos I don't even see why it matters what you get.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesima View Post
    A lot of people have ordered a Qnix QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" and have had great success in overclocking them since they're PLS panels.

There's a huge thread about them on Overclocker along with the X-Star brand of Korean PLS monitors.

But the only thing is you're taking a risk by ordering from a Korean eBay store..
    Yeah they're not bad just quite a bit over the $270 OP mentioned. Unless of course it was in response to Synthaxx talks about overclocking.

A gtx 780 is good i think.

Deleted
    Still won't run WoW at 55+ FPS in ultra but yes it's a good GPU and other games it's more likely. I'm sure you can Google some benchmarks to see what performance you can expect.

Still won't run WoW at 55+ FPS in ultra but yes it's a good GPU and other games it's more likely. I'm sure you can Google some benchmarks to see what performance you can expect.
    Your wrong benchmark say way over 100+ FPS.In monitors with more resolution than the 1 im getting.http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...TX_780/23.html

Quote Originally Posted by adamo696 View Post
    Your wrong benchmark say way over 100+ FPS.In monitors with more resolution than the 1 im getting.http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...TX_780/23.html
    That benchmark is made on a flightpath when there is no other people online, it is not even remotely accurate to what kind of performance you will have in raids or standing around in a crowded city.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

What is better
    http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inc...ywords=VG248QE

or

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2420T-P...gaming+monitor

And would the asus 1 be enough?or should i get the benq i dont care.

Deleted
    Higher Hz isn't automatically better and if you're not running a consistent 90+FPS then it's basically wasted money.

I'd personally pick something like this:

Asus PA248Q or the 24" Dell mentioned in my first reply (depending on if you need HDMI or not)

I'll let someone else give you advise you about the 120+Hz monitors you're asking about if you choose to go that route. If money isn't an issue why not a 27" 1440p IPS, you have the rig to support it.

Asus PB278Q
    Dell U2713HM