Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Tonight's BBC Question Time

More of a UK issue than anything else, but here I go. As some people (In the UK anyway) will be aware, tonight Question Time is being held in Edinburgh, regarding the Scottish Independence debate, with a audience of 16 and 17 year olds to ask the panel questions. I'm quite happy that it's taking place, but I have one fairly major gripe. They announced the panel today, and my word is it fucking idiotic. Four Unionists, One Devo-Max supporter and one Independence supporter. Even that doesn't entirely bother me; what bothers me are two of the Unionist panelists they invited.

Nigel Farage and George Galloway.

What. The. Fuck.

Neither of those two have any representation in Scotland, their parties (UKIP and Respect) have no Council or Westminster or Holyrood seats and yet they were invited onto the panel. Instead of course, the Scottish Greens (Who have 14 council seats and 2 Holyrood seats) were completely ignored in place of the above two morons. Farage and Galloway are completely irrelevant in the Scottish Independence debate, neither of the are in the Better Together campaign yet Patrick Harvey (Leader of the Scottish Greens) who is an official member of the Yes campaign is shunted aside in favour of them?

Needless to say I'm a bit pissed off about this. The BBC are either being intrinsically biased, or they're being completely fucking moronic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know anything at all about this issue, but more independence is always a good thing I guess. Go Scotland!

We did it, it's not that hard.

I'll admit to a smirk when reading that Farage and Galloway would be there. It looks like it will be another entertaining QT, not necessarily an informative one. Two of the most morally repugnant, wishy-washy people in modern politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Two of the most morally repugnant, wishy-washy people in modern politics.
    Thank you so much for that post, "wishy-washy" is a very underused adjective

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    I'll admit to a smirk when reading that Farage and Galloway would be there. It looks like it will be another entertaining QT, not necessarily an informative one. Two of the most morally repugnant, wishy-washy people in modern politics.
    I've got a feeling "Entertaining" was what they were aiming for. I'd for once just like to get a decent debate on the issue though; most of it has just been political buzzwords fired back and forth.

It won't be anything but buzzwords and rhetoric until the relevant institutions publish reports about the implications of independance. That won't happen until closer to the referendum .
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2013-06-13 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Deleted
    I read "Tonight BBQ question time". now I'm disappointed.

Farage is the leader of the third largest political party and he's a massively popular figure who isn't going to go away. Just because racist liberals close their eyes and say "there's no place like home, there's no place like home," doesn't mean he'll disappear. As for Galloway, I imagine he was invited only because his party has a seat in the House of Commons, but then again, so does the English/Welsh Green Party, so it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't invite the Scottish Greens to the debate.

What the OP neglected to mention in his rant is that BBC Question Time invites representatives of political parties to their debates. The fact remains that there is only one pro-independence party with a seat in either chamber of parliament, and it doesn't seem like there's much of a chance that any other pro-independence parties will be joining the SNP anytime soon.
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-06-13 at 03:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Farage is the leader of the third largest political party and he's a massively popular figure who isn't going to go away, just because racist liberals close their eyes and say "there's no place like home, there's no place like home." As for Galloway, I imagine he was invited only because his party has a seat in the House of Commons, but then again, so does the English/Welsh Green Party, so it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't invite the Scottish Greens to the debate.
    I...My mind was literally destroyed by irony right now. Your "heroic libertarian" is just a populist cunt, that's all he is and ever will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Galloway is one of your lot, and if you get independence, then you're getting him back.

...and the Krankies.

OT: Not really sure what your problem is. Both Galloway and Farage are outspoken politically, and make good TV - Galloway especially, even though he is a complete cock, is an extremely talented debater.

Question Time isn't about giving a fair representation to each party, it's about political debate, and you only really need one person from each side and a couple of randoms thrown in to mix it up, which is pretty much what QT is doing.

Deleted
    As much as the Scottish would like to pretend this issue is solely about Scotland, it is only right that the rest of the UK is involved in this discussion too. Galloway is one of the more notorious Scottish politicians, and Farage's policies regarding Europe will offer an interesting parallel to Scotland's own pursuit of independence.

Scottish folk can leave the union for all I care, let them rot up there with there independance and go the same way as Ireland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    As much as the Scottish would like to pretend this issue is solely about Scotland, it is only right that the rest of the UK is involved in this discussion too. Galloway is one of the more notorious Scottish politicians, and Farage's policies regarding Europe will offer an interesting parallel to Scotland's own pursuit of independence.
    The English are free to discuss the matter, I welcome it; the issue is that most the "discussion" I hear from the English side is akin to:

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Scottish folk can leave the union for all I care, let them rot up there with there independance and go the same way as Ireland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    The English are free to discuss the matter, I welcome it; the issue is that most the "discussion" I hear from the English side is akin to:
    If the English got to vote on Scottish independence, you'd probably get it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Farage is the leader of the third largest political party and he's a massively popular figure who isn't going to go away. Just because racist liberals close their eyes and say "there's no place like home, there's no place like home," doesn't mean he'll disappear. As for Galloway, I imagine he was invited only because his party has a seat in the House of Commons, but then again, so does the English/Welsh Green Party, so it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't invite the Scottish Greens to the debate.

What the OP neglected to mention in his rant is that BBC Question Time invites representatives of political parties to their debates. The fact remains that there is only one pro-independence party with a seat in either chamber of parliament, and it doesn't seem like there's much of a chance that any other pro-independence parties will be joining the SNP anytime soon.
    Big contradiction there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I don't doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Big contradiction there.
    You are quoting Nigel's biggest fanboi...Arctic Dashi (sp?).

Deleted
    I don't doubt it.

What the OP neglected to mention in his rant is that BBC Question Time invites representatives of political parties to their debates. The fact remains that there is only one pro-independence party with a seat in either chamber of parliament
    No they aren't. Now you mention it, we should have invited Plaid Cymru and Sinn Féin. They are both Pro-Independence parties (Well, some of Sinn Féin anyway) and they actually have seats. Something Farage lacks at the present time.

I'm honestly glad that a lot of these independence debates tend to be attended by foolish morons who'll garner to additional support for a silly cause such as Scottish Independence.

Now, I don't have the figures to hand right this moment, but report after report tells us that the U.K. as a whole has a far better chance of surviving any form of economical disaster like we're seeing, and more to the point, that Scotland independently would've been one of the worst hit nations.

I'm all for independence, as long as it is a total and utter shut off. No financial support, all MoD Jobs (of which, there are thousands) are shifted south and all forms of aid and assistance is cut. If the people of Scotland want to pretend that there is some bitter rivalry still to pursue between the North & South, then we should give them something genuine to gripe about.

Deleted
    You are quoting Nigel's biggest fanboi...Arctic Dashi (sp?).
    Yes it's Daishi, not very stealthy eh?