[Resto] HOTW Dps'ing ?

Have a question about dps'ing as resto when using HoTW. I know its best to keep up moonfire and then wrath spam. But has anyone TC'd or tested how this may work with SoTF? Basically, I'm wondering if its ever worth using 2 gcd's to apply a rejuv and then SM, so that the moonfire dot will tick at 75% increased haste. Higher dps, but wastes 2 secs, or about one wrath cast. Any thoughts?

I typically only dps via HoTW during hero/bloodlust, so I'd be curious to the answer both normally and then also during hero. Thanks!

I never actually tested whether the SotF moonfire was more dps than the 2 lost GCD's, but i certainly did it all the time to keep some healing going. Lets play with some math and check.

Going to ignore the damage bonus from HoTW and assume it applies to both Moonfire and Wrath equally so I can use their base values.

Best case scenario: hero 30%,with 5% haste buff, 75% from sotf and the standard resto 3043 rating-> 7.16% haste, your moonfire should hit 18 ticks (up from 10 with hero but not SOTF). 8 ticks gained, each tick worth 263 +24%sp. at 40k sp -> gain of 78904 damage.

What you loose is 2.03 secs (1.0 sec for rejuv and 1.03 sec for swiftmend GCD with the above haste)
    Wrath under hero, 5%, and 7.16% is a about a 1.37 sec cast.
    2.03/1.37 = 1.48 so what you loose is 1.48 wrath casts.
    Wrath damage 2664 + 121.6% SP, at 40K SP= 51304. 51304*1.48, total damaged lost 75929.92

78904> 75,929.92 so yes the time spent casting rejuv, then swiftmend to buff Moonfire is more damage than the wrath casts, by about a 4% gain - The gap widens very slowly as SP increases (at 100k sp, moonfire+sotf is a 5.5% gain over wrath)

I will say, HoTW + SotF +Hurricane on aoe packs was disgustingly fun dps as resto was easily 300k+ dps last tier if the pack was big enough. Granted i haven't used SoTF since i ditched 4T14.

EDIT: Without hero moonfire gains 59178 versus 67208 lost from wrath, so it'd be a loss there.
    Although if you have 3203 haste rating or more, you can squeeze out 1 more tick during SoTF moonfire, bringing its gain to 69041, which is barely above wrath, but its something (especially if you are moving alot as rejuv sm moonfire are all instants). But it definitely works much better with hero, than without.
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2013-06-13 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks Keiyra! I always love your mathematical responses! much appreciated.

Question about your calcs. You compared the moonfire damage from an additional 12 ticks. but is 7 ticks the base moonfire, or what you get with 30% hero and 5% haste? It seems for comparison, we should only compare the additional ticks from the additional 75% haste (from sotf). Because the hero and raid haste buffs will be there in both scenarios. Going from 7 ticks to 19 sounds awfully high from a 75% haste increase, but I could very well be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    Thanks Keiyra! I always love your mathematical responses! much appreciated.

Question about your calcs. You compared the moonfire damage from an additional 12 ticks. but is 7 ticks the base moonfire, or what you get with 30% hero and 5% haste? It seems for comparison, we should only compare the additional ticks from the additional 75% haste (from sotf). Because the hero and raid haste buffs will be there in both scenarios. Going from 7 ticks to 19 sounds awfully high from a 75% haste increase, but I could very well be wrong.
    Yeah i realized that after i posted and already corrected it in the original post while you were typing your response - as well as non hero values at the bottom.

DOH, correcting it again, messed up the value in one spot - changes the gain to be much less.
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2013-06-13 at 05:17 PM.

Awesome, thank again Keiyra!! I hate asking for analysis like that, but you seem to enjoy it and are darn good at it.

That helps.. definitely sounds worth it. Even in non hero situations, like you said, any movement will change the dynamics to favor the sotf moonfire. Plus, like you also touched on, the extra benfit of a RJ/SM/eff on the tank will only make it even more worthwhile. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I dont ever remember seeing it, and I think its valuable for those of us without 4pc15 and not willing to get rid of 4pc14/sotf until we get all 4 new pieces!

Welcome - recheck the OP cause i had to edit again

As a side note - with the 5.4 ptr change to 100% haste for SoTF, you'd get 16 ticks non hero (gain of 8 ticks) and 21 ticks with hero with around 3090 haste rating (gain of 11 ticks)
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2013-06-13 at 08:05 PM.