Thread: CPU Cooler

CPU Cooler

I currently have a Prolimatech Megahalems Heatsink that I have in a push/pull with 2 of these Scythe Ultra Kaze fans. I have my i5 750 OCed from 2.6GHz to 4GHz and keeps it idling at about 39/40°C. Max load is about 65C Only thing though, with those fans pushing that much air at that RPM, the noise level is very loud. 46dBA each.

I was wondering if the Corsair Hydro H110 would be a better solution for cooling and noise levels. I see that the dBA would be a bit quieter, but performance wise if it would be better then the air.

I tried Google with no answers so I thought I'd come here. My case is a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 So I figure it will be compatible with the 280mm Rad but I will double check before I make my decision.

I'm looking for some input from other users

5dbA more is 2 times louder, 10dbA is 4 times louder etc.. Just lower the rpms of your fans so your cpu temps are around 70-75° and you should be fine or just get a Swiftech H220 instead which has a low FPI density radiator being optimized for low speed fans while any other AIO solutions are pretty much high FPI density meaning they are better with high speed fans..

Reducing fan RPM will help. Scythe Gentle Typhoons (expensive) will also help a lot as they have better acoustic performance for a given thermal range.

AIOs aren't actually all that quiet. High end air is a better bet for optimizing silence in addition to thermal performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    5dbA more is 2 times louder, 10dbA is 4 times louder etc.. Just lower the rpms of your fans so your cpu temps are around 70-75° and you should be fine or just get a Swiftech H220 instead which has a low FPI density radiator being optimized for low speed fans while any other AIO solutions are pretty much high FPI density meaning they are better with high speed fans..
    I'm nit picking, but it is +6db to double volume

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I'm nit picking, but it is +6db to double volume
    Pretty sure it takes +10 dB to double perceived volume.