Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustForThisThread View Post
    What game won't work? When I lived in Germany, I played with tons of Europeans from various countries over XBLive. You are trying to argue about activating the game on a console that isn't released yet and no specific details have been given how it will affect countries. You are making up arguments for the sake of hating on the XB1.
    Well the fact that no specifics have been released when the PR behind X-Box is going to shit is really another reason to not buy it. Most of the support behind the console are either being contradictory or very vague, and in some cases just causing mass confusion.

What I meant by the game not working is if, for some reason, you cannot play the game on your library, and you are in one of those unsupported countries, X--Box Support will likely not do anything. "Not Supported" reads as "We won't help" in the best case, and in the worst case it reads as "You won't get patches/fixes" so if something goes wrong you are screwed. Why? Why have that restriction at all?

I'm not coming up with arguments for the sake of hating X-Box One. I can come up with a shittonne of examples why X-Box is a poor choice and I've already decided I'll have nothing to do with it. My arguments are being put forward to show these reasons as being drawn from the information provided to us by either Microsoft themselves or through observation.

There is so much shit flying around about X-Box that I really don't see the need to even make stuff up, even if I was so inclined.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-06-15 at 06:39 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

I'm in the Army. Been deployed 3 times. Currently stationed at Fort Stewart. Sorry, I didn't have time to play console games while I was deployed, but my Xbox 360 worked perfectly when I was stationed in Germany for 3 years.
    ....which is a pitty that you can't do that anymore since an Xbox One from the USA is region-locked.

Also... you didn't have time to play console games while deployed, but you apparently had time to try your 360 while deployed in Germany.

...and if you had no time to play, why did you even buy an Xbox 360?

So... everything is fine if you're a member of the military who isn't deployed outside of the USA, have absolutely NO DOWN TIME WHATSOEVER to play an Xbox One, and happens to have 100% perfect internet.

...or you can just get a PS4 and avoid having any restrictions at all other than a power supply and a TV set. :P

Deleted
    What game won't work? When I lived in Germany, I played with tons of Europeans from various countries over XBLive. You are trying to argue about activating the game on a console that isn't released yet and no specific details have been given how it will affect countries. You are making up arguments for the sake of hating on the XB1.
    If you dont have a constant internet connection where you are deployed, none of them will work. Not even single player games.

Thats the point everyone is making.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Well the fact that no specifics have been released when the PR behind X-Box is going to shit is really another reason to not buy it. Most of the support behind the console are either being contradictory or very vague, and in some cases just causing mass confusion.

What I meant by the game not working is if, for some reason, you cannot play the game on your library, and you are in one of those unsupported countries, X--Box Support will likely not do anything. "Not Supported" reads as "We won't help" in the best case, and in the worst case it reads as "You won't get patches/fixes" so if something goes wrong you are screwed. Why? Why have that restriction at all?
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbo...pan-56666.html
    Outside of supported countries, the XBox One won't work as a game console at all, regardless of your Internet connection.

Xbox One games and SYSTEMS are region locked. You can't bring a US Xbox One over and play it in Germany. You got to buy a whole new one there. How they're doing this is anybody's guess - but I am presuming that it will be determined based on detecting the location of your IP address.

http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-one-regi...ntries-1304945

Deleted
    The main reason I wouldn't get an Xbox1 is because you have to pay an additional fee to play it online.
    So you're already paying to access the internet but now need an additional fee to use your product.
    Everyone else does this for free, everyone's playing the same game but only Microsoft charges you to play it, also calling it first, that additional fees will apply if the kinect detects a certain number of people watching a movie on netflix.

Would love to hear your 100% certainty reasons. I had a lot of real life friends who tried to argue that PS4 > XB1 argument, but I just can't see it at all. I'll be the first to admit I am an Xbox fanboy, but the original thing that through me off of Playstation consoles in the past was the controller. When the original Xbox came out, the controller just seemed to melt in my hands and I just can't get used to the PS controllers (any generation of them honestly).

I'll give the PS4 credit, it has some great exclusive games that I'm sure I will play on friends consoles, because they look that good, but the same can be said for Xbox One (and if you disagree, then you are just being naive and can't get over your Sony favoritism). Also, I like how Netflix comes with the PSOnline (I think that's what it's called?), although that's not a big seller for me because I torrent nearly all my movies and TV shows.

I hated the Kinect on the 360, but so far the new Kinect (Kinect 2?) looks very good. I'm excited to get rid of my HTPC and use my XB1 for all my entertainment means. Really if you're that paranoid that Microsoft Xbox is going to spy or do check in's on you, then you should just get off the internet now. I'm excited to see how the new Kinect recognizes people based off looks and voice (as they said in their initial reveal it would). If it's anything but perfect, I will be pissed and be one of the first people spamming the interwebs on how bad they screwed it up.
    You know they make PS controllers for Xbox and Xbox controllers for PS right?

Arguing about exclusives is a matter of subjectivity. What looks good to one person might not look good to another. There are a few Xbox exclusives that look alright to me, but not enough to sway me into owning the console. I've always been a Halo fan but I can sacrifice that for the ability to own what, in my opinion, is a better console. Titanfall looks alright but again not enough to sway me. The other games don't really interest me all that much.

Some of your other statements about how if Voice/Kinect doesn't matter to us so we shouldn't use it as a negative... the kinect's price is built into the $500 they're expecting you to pay. I can use that as a negative because I'm paying for something I won't use. The PS4 base model doesn't have me pay for something I don't want, plain and simple.

God forbid Microsoft not target everyone. Jesus, can you believe the PS4 requires electricity? What about people who live in the middle of the Amazon. They are a business, why aren't they targeting rural tribesman?

If you have a power outage, I don't think you will be playing PS4 either.
    no i won't but you missed the point again. Power outage happens for say a day or two due to some random fuck up or another, that next day when it's back ill be happily playing my PS4 games without a hitch, Xbox one? nope ill have to pay for it again HURRAY! GAMING AT IT'S FINEST! and forgive me if i'm wrong but wouldn't they want to i dunno make money from this system? hate to break it to you but that doesn't happen by saying: HERE ELITIST DOUCHEBAGS! NEW TIVOFACETWITTERBOX ONE JUST FOR YOU! btw all those other people can fuck right off... You make money by selling a product for all sources.. not just one source. but you're clearly not going to be swayed so w/e buy your xbox one and ill buy my ps4 and we can all live happily ever after watching sony's profits skyrocket.
    Last edited by Terielx1; 2013-06-15 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkem View Post
    The main reason I wouldn't get an Xbox1 is because you have to pay an additional fee to play it online.
    So you're already paying to access the internet but now need an additional fee to use your product.
    Everyone else does this for free, everyone's playing the same game but only Microsoft charges you to play it, also calling it first, that additional fees will apply if the kinect detects a certain number of people watching a movie on netflix.
    Well, unfortunately Sony is also charging a fee to play multiplayer online now. $5 a month (compared to XBox Live's $6, but still). Both services include monthly free games though, which is a cool trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkem View Post
    Actually the PS4 is going to require a fee for multiplayer online this time... unless you're going to be playing Subscription-based MMOs or Free to Play games, as those you won't need the PS+ pass for.

But the deal they're offering is pretty damn sweet. For less than 5 bucks a month you get the network + two free games a month. And they're pretty damn good games too. I believe this month they're offering one of the Uncharted, Assasin's Creed and Mass Effect games.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 06:46 PM ----------

God forbid Microsoft not target everyone. Jesus, can you believe the PS4 requires electricity? What about people who live in the middle of the Amazon. They are a business, why aren't they targeting rural tribesman?

If you have a power outage, I don't think you will be playing PS4 either.
    1) I don't think calling people who live in rural communities as "tribesmen" is very clever.
    2) it limits their primary user base. As Francis once put it "We... the Neckbeards... we're your target demographic!"
    3) Adam Orth said all the exact same stupidity you are spouting right now. He got fired from Microsoft for that.

...there's a reason he got fired for that. :P

this guys is obviously an MS employee die hard fanboy just ignore him its pointless no matter hwat you say in his world everyone is like him 100% stable internet connection everyone lives in the same country lets just call it "justforthisthreadia" god forbid someone is not living in his dream world
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ....which is a pitty that you can't do that anymore since an Xbox One from the USA is region-locked.
    If you are referring to the one response by the "support" on Twitter, then I feel sorry for you. Wait until an official announcement is made by their PR department. It will probably be the exact same as XBox 360 was, meaning console is region free but the games are up to the publisher's discretion if they choose to region lock. Since there hasn't been a 100% answer from Microsoft, I can't argue this point at all.

Also... you didn't have time to play console games while deployed, but you apparently had time to try your 360 while deployed in Germany.

...and if you had no time to play, why did you even buy an Xbox 360?
    The Army doesn't "deploy" to Germany. I was stationed in Germany, same as I was at Fort Hood, Texas and same as I was at Fort Stewart, Georgia. In Germany I had a regular "9-5" job, had weekends off, wasn't getting shot at. I had time to play my Xbox 360 and had no problems playing on my US Live account from Europe. I was referring to being deployed to a combat zone (one in Iraq and twice in Afghanistan). I did not have time to play games while deployed. I had a mission to do for 12 months and did it. I did not get weekends off. When I got off patrols, I slept, or Skyped my wife and kids. Sorry, I can't speak for those who had, what I would call an 'easy' deployment.

So... everything is fine if you're a member of the military who isn't deployed outside of the USA, have absolutely NO DOWN TIME WHATSOEVER to play an Xbox One, and happens to have 100% perfect internet.

...or you can just get a PS4 and avoid having any restrictions at all other than a power supply and a TV set. :P
    Again, you either don;t understand what I wrote or are completely misunderstood about being stationed overseas vs a combat deployment.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Terielx1 View Post
    no i won't but you missed the point again. Power outage happens for say a day or two due to some random fuck up or another, that next day when it's back ill be happily playing my PS4 games without a hitch, Xbox one? nope ill have to pay for it again HURRAY! GAMING AT IT'S FINEST! and forgive me if i'm wrong but wouldn't they want to i dunno make money from this system? hate to break it to you but that doesn't happen by saying: HERE ELITIST DOUCHEBAGS! NEW TIVOFACETWITTERBOX ONE JUST FOR YOU! btw all those other people can fuck right off... You make money by selling a product for all sources.. not just one source. but you're clearly not going to be swayed so w/e buy your xbox one and ill buy my ps4 and we can all live happily ever after watching sony's profits skyrocket.
    So when your power goes out and comes back on, your internet stays down for days afterward? Sorry, never had this happen to me, so didn't think about it.

As for watching profits skyrocket!!!11one!!1, clearly you don't read tech news much, but PS4 and XB1 are on track to break records on launch. Amazon is already reporting that will both be back ordered come launch because of the amount of pre-orders they got (and that is only Amazon reporting).

Like I've said already, I can be swayed to PS4, but XB1 has more to offer. Sorry lending games to people or unhooking my console from the internet doesn't appeal to me. On the same token voice commands and having your console online to chat with friends or consume online content doesn't appeal to you. You are right, one of us just can't be swayed, but it's not me. I haven't had one question as to what I dislike about the XB1, or what I totally want from the PS4. Haven't had one person say "what about PS4's X, Y, and Z features. Surely you can admit the XB1 feel short by not offering that".

Everyone is too hung up on internet check ins once a day. As I tried to say, but have multiple people bashing my opinion, if you don't have a good enough connection, then this console isn't for you. It obviously doesn't meet your needs. Why are you bashing a product that isn't targeted to you then?

Actually the PS4 is going to require a fee for multiplayer online this time... unless you're going to be playing Subscription-based MMOs or Free to Play games, as those you won't need the PS+ pass for.

But the deal they're offering is pretty damn sweet. For less than 5 bucks a month you get the network + two free games a month. And they're pretty damn good games too. I believe this month they're offering one of the Uncharted, Assasin's Creed and Mass Effect games.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 06:46 PM ----------

1) I don't think calling people who live in rural communities as "tribesmen" is very clever.
    2) it limits their primary user base. As Francis once put it "We... the Neckbeards... we're your target demographic!"
    3) Adam Orth said all the exact same stupidity you are spouting right now. He got fired from Microsoft for that.

...there's a reason he got fired for that. :P
    Sorry you couldn't see my sarcasm response from the sarcastic post that was made by the other user. I guess the internet does need a icon for sarcasm. From now on, I'll use [/SARCASM] to help you out.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Well, unfortunately Sony is also charging a fee to play multiplayer online now. $5 a month (compared to XBox Live's $6, but still). Both services include monthly free games though, which is a cool trend.
    ^This. From what I read the PS4 online also comes with free Netflix? Doesn't appeal that much to me, but that sounds like something Microsoft needs to jump on. Also, didn't know they gave out free games. Even if they are older games, still would be a nice bonus, could also pull in new players to new franchises (say you never played Assassin's Creed before and they gave you the first one free. Good marketing)
    Last edited by JustForThisThread; 2013-06-15 at 07:48 PM.

If you are referring to the one response by the "support" on Twitter, then I feel sorry for you. Wait until an official announcement is made by their PR department. It will probably be the exact same as XBox 360 was, meaning console is region free but the games are up to the publisher's discretion if they choose to region lock. Since there hasn't been a 100% answer from Microsoft, I can't argue this point at all.
    Surprisingly, their Support Twitter is actually a great place for information and it's one of the best support Twitters around.

However, you're right, we have no "official" word on region locking...because apparently even Microsoft doesn't know.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-cant-tel...free-513494440

However, considering the facts we do have 1) 21 countries only at release 2) Games are region locked 3)An internet connection will be required, meaning it will likely be checking IP's etc, I think it's not a stretch assume that an Xbox will not function in a region that it is not "released" in.

Here's an article with some supporting evidence beyond just the Twitter posts (though it does feature many of them) for the region locking: http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-one-regi...ntries-1304945

Again, you either don;t understand what I wrote or are completely misunderstood about being stationed overseas vs a combat deployment.
    Who the hell cares what terminology you use - my point was your USA Xbox One you would bring over won't work in Germany!

Way to try to bury my point under a bunch of petty military terminology distinctions that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Sorry you couldn't see my sarcasm response from the sarcastic post that was made by the other user. I guess the internet does need a icon for sarcasm. From now on, I'll use [/SARCASM] to help you out.
    ...you called Rural people "tribesmen". even adding /sarcasm doesn't make it sarcastic in any way. It's an insult - there's no sarcasm at all in it.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-06-15 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Surprisingly, their Support Twitter is actually a great place for information and it's one of the best support Twitters around.

However, you're right, we have no "official" word on region locking...because apparently even Microsoft doesn't know.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-cant-tel...free-513494440

However, considering the facts we do have 1) 21 countries only at release 2) Games are region locked 3)An internet connection will be required, meaning it will likely be checking IP's etc, I think it's not a stretch assume that an Xbox will not function in a region that it is not "released" in.

Here's an article with some supporting evidence beyond just the Twitter posts (though it does feature many of them) for the region locking: http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-one-regi...ntries-1304945
    Everything from ibtimes is all twitter evidence. As for the game being region locked, that is just like the 360, solely up to the publisher. As for IP checking, vs Live accounts, vs Game regions, thats all done now. My Live account is a US account. When I played my US account, with US Xbox 360 on a German IP address, everything was fine. I could not purchase DLC as the publisher blocked it. I could get anything Microsoft published, but when it came to say, CoD map packs, I had to get a free Silver Live account that was registered in Germany to download them. Once downloaded, any profile on the Xbox (meaning my US Gold Live account) could play the map packs. That was a publisher problem, which I did not agree with and everytime I called MS support over it, there was nothing they could do.

Now, if they, for some unknown reason, make it so a US XB1 can't be played in Canada or EU, then yea, that's a huge problem and I will jump on the PS4 bandwagon and denounce the XB1. That is just ridiculous, but until that it is officially announced like that, I assume it will be how it is now, and up to the publisher.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 09:03 PM ----------

Who the hell cares what terminology you use - my point was your USA Xbox One you would bring over won't work in Germany!

Way to try to bury my point under a bunch of petty military terminology distinctions that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
    Guess I completely misread what you wrote. They haven't said that the XB1 is 100% region locked and won't be playable outside the purchase country. If thats the case, I'm with you, but that won't be. Publishers have always had the discretion of region locking games, and I don't foresee that changing. If you have a statement from MS, not a 140 character tweet, that says otherwise, I would love to read it so I know what I will be purchasing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't get how the "Well you don't know for certain, so don't judge" sort of attitude is helpful for anyone.

Yes, we don't know for absolute certain that people outside of the listed countries will be shafted. Yes, we don't know that random screwups on Microsoft's won't render the console useless by locking your account, both offline and online. Yes, we don't know if the games portrayed on the X-Box will look like they did during E3 (because they weren't run on an X-Box)

The reason we don't have answers to most of the controversial questions is because Microsoft have been answering by going "Well..umm...erm...well.." when asked these questions. Twitter is becoming a PR nightmare for them because they have contradictory answers. Press releases offer very ambiguous details, as does their own website FAQ. They are very much struggling to come up with even roughly definitive answers for many of the questions people are posing to them.

These questions are also to ensure that the things the majority of the customer base was are present too, or those things they don't want, aren't. Sony has managed to succeed in this regard far better than Microsoft.

You may not want people to judge the console based on suggested issues, but when it comes to one console developer providing answers, and another kind of just putting off giving a definitive answer, it's inevitable people are going to support the developer who's providing them the answers to the questions they are asking.

All that is left is to consider that they won't tell people "Yes, that feature everyone is raging about actually IS part of our design, and so is that one, and that one too!" so they will "umm..erm..hmm" over answering any direct questions until it comes to release and people find out the hard way that it is indeed a terrible choice they've made.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-06-15 at 08:06 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Everything from ibtimes is all twitter evidence.
    Except for this official Microsoft page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/p...one/disclaimer

Which has this statement on it: "Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions."

Which, based off of the fact that we know the Xbox One needs to connect to Microsoft's servers to authenticate at least once a day, seems to indicate that if you are not in one of those 21 launch regions, that you will not be able to authenticate your Xbox One or register any games to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    They also said that the controller will be available for PS4. Also, if you must mod a console to make it worth buying, then it wasn't worth buying in the first place. Always on and needing to check in is garbage, straight and true. Microsoft's servers do go down, while not regularly, they do go down. ISP's do have issues as well. The Playstation Eye 2 does what the Kinect does, as they talked about it at the Playstation 4 release conference before E3. Also, if you deactivate the internet requirement, wouldn't that cause you issues for your games to work in the first place as they require authentication? If every game is different for authentication, that could cause a tremendous amount of issues for the mods or make them unable to be modded; then if your do happen to connect to the server because you must for the authentication, you could just brick your console because Microsoft designs it that way. You also said that modding your console is an awful idea if you want to keep your things, which I agree with, but you then said you should mod it.

Your arguments just keep going around in circles. Of course none of your friends are going to "persuade" you to get a PS4 and to instead make the choice to show businesses that you allow them to have horrible business practices and will still shell out $500+ dollars a year for it. If a cheaper price, more friendly user experience, more games, cheaper online services with better hardware isn't going to persuade you, absolutely nothing on the planet will. At that point you've become too tunnel visioned on Xbox to care about anything else that comes along. So yes, you are right, you are indeed an Xbox fanboy and anything they do, you will take.
    Here is another reason I need to use [/SARCASM] I guess. Reason I brought up modding was because someone kept saying the reason I didn't like the PS4 was my dislike for the controller. Not the sole reason, but it is one. If his sole reason for hating the XB1 is online connection then I just fixed it for him. "Modding shouldn't be required to make a console playable" and to me neither should buying a 3rd party controller.

Last time I bought a console was the 360 when it launched. Hardly "shelling out $500+ a year". If the 400 to 500 dollar jump is that big of a deal for you, then maybe you need to sit down with your finances and not get a console at all.

...then my argument to you is to get a modded XB1 and deactivate the internet requirement, which will also undoubtedly come out.
    I think you're trolling or flamebaiting.

"modding" your xbox would likely violate your TOS, which would then get your account banned, which would then annul all of your licenses.

"Modding" your PS4 (I wouldn't hold your breath, given how long it took for the first modded PS3's to start popping up) won't suddenly destroy every hard-copy game you've ever purchased for the system.

Clearly, you're throwing shit and seeing what sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Except for this official Microsoft page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/p...one/disclaimer

Which has this statement on it: "Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions."

Which, based off of the fact that we know the Xbox One needs to connect to Microsoft's servers to authenticate at least once a day, seems to indicate that if you are not in one of those 21 launch regions, that you will not be able to authenticate your Xbox One or register any games to it.
    Ahh!! Thank you, you just proved what I've been saying. The games are for activation and distribution only in specific regions. Not consoles. Meaning the XB1, according to the page you linked, will work anywhere, as it is the hardware, not the game. As for region locked games, its up to the publishers, as it's always been, so that would mean thats a generic statement by MS to cover their ass in case you buy "RANDOM GAME X" in the UK and take it to Spain and can't play it because the publisher for that game region locked it and now you want to take it out on MS.