10+ Year Old Account

Time for a new router and maybe modem.

I don't know anything when it comes to this and was hoping people had some suggestions for me. I've heard asus routers are good, but im not sure. This is what I'm looking at currently.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-B...pr_product_top

The ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router seems fine for a home sized around 140m^2 as a maximum. If you're willing to connect more than 4 computers with an ethernet plug cable you're doomed because it doesn't have more ports, and if you use a port extender you might reduce the speed of the router itself.

Asus routers as amazingly good as Access Spots and as Routing points, so you can use them as modems and as "hot spots" to extend your internet. But remember you'll always have to have it plugged to your main modem if you're gonna use it as a router and not as an access point. Just FYI, Access Point = Main place where you get your internet from the "wall", and Router = extension of signal for the modem.

I think it looks good, and the budget seems pretty right. But I also reccomend a lot Cisco Routers and D-Link routers (my favs).

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, this is a pretty solid router.

One of the places ASUS shines is at producing moderately expensive (i.e. their lower end models can be a bit meh) that are pretty high quality. This seems to fit right into that category.

I personally like buying $50-70 new or refurb routers and setting them up with DD-WRT (or OpenWRT) to compensate for the features that manufacturers strip from the routers at that price level, but there is something to be said about having a high quality router.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

One of the best routers on the market right there. Have one myself, and its just really full with great features, inclusing non router specific ones like shared storage, download station, printer sharing etc.

If I was about to get a new one right now, I would check the price on the new version (dont remember the name), but the one with wireless ac on it. If that one isnt much more, get the newest one instead. Its also better in terms of lower temperature because of newly designed heat spreader on the PCB in the router

This is the new one. I would pay the extra 40-ish bucks for the new version just to use the added speed on wireless ac in the future
    http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-...words=RT-AC66U
    Last edited by Lilbruz; 2013-06-14 at 07:49 PM.