Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    I know blizz is just ripping of the Seven deadly sins which says pride is the worst but how can a manifest of pride be such a danger?
    You KNOW this? How do you KNOW this? Because Pride is the ONLY deadly sin in this list, and the other Shas aren't even related to the other deadly sins (except maybe hatred for anger).

Sounds to me like you're so limited in your imagination you can't past the number 7.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

LOG LADY - "Are you proud?"

MAJOR BRIGGS - "No, achievement is its own reward. Pride obscures it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    You KNOW this? How do you KNOW this? Because Pride is the ONLY deadly sin in this list, and the other Shas aren't even related to the other deadly sins (except maybe hatred for anger).

Sounds to me like you're so limited in your imagination you can't past the number 7.
    Sha of Anger - wrath
    Sha of Despair - sloth, apathy
    Sha of Pride - pride

Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post

Because blizz loves ripping off myths from earths history

We all know the titans and the pantheon is just a rip off of greek and roman mythology and the vrykrul is a ripoff of norse mythology

So we get 7 emotions manifested and like i said if they named them gluttony, sloth it would be too obvious the fact the last one is pride is a dead give away

The other shas are mostly white, Sha of Fear is blue, but this sha is purple. Only way it could be stronger is if it were orange.

care to elaborate?
    The Sha aren't the deadly sins. At all. Leave Pride aside for the moment and look at the way the other 6 sha compare to the other 6 deadly sins. One of the things that makes the deadly sins so deadly is that in small quantities or at first, they can be beneficial. We all eat and feel hunger, which is the smallest most remote origin of gluttony.... but it's only when you overindulge that it becomes a problem. Everyone needs to relax and unwind once in a while; not only for fun, but because they will be more productive when they go back to work... but when it overtakes all else and becomes sloth, it ceases to be beneficial and becomes detrimental.

Go down the list, and every one of the deadly sins is something that, at the right time and at the right place, could be useful. That's why they're deadly: they're seductive, and you don't fall to them all at once. You fall to them step by step, easily justifying every step along the way, until one day you realize how far you've come.

Fear? Despair? Violence? Hatred? None of these comes even close to meeting those criteria. They may have some extraordinarily limited use in rare situations, but even then there are better ways. Caution serves much better than fear, despair is never useful, Violence is (ideally) useful only as a last resort and even then depends on the sides being unable to talk or leave each other alone, hatred is never useful, and doubt is never useful (rational skepticism is, but not doubt as represented by the Sha). Anger is the only one of the sha other than Pride that I could say serves a purpose in limited form. All the rest are not temptations to be resisted and lived with, but negativity to be banished and left behind, with no remnant.

There are seven sins and seven sha, and both lists include Pride and a form of anger/wrath. That's really as far as the similarities go, and that's not far enough to make me think they're trying to make the sha any kind of reference.

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 01:19 PM ----------

Because blizz loves ripping off myths from earths history

We all know the titans and the pantheon is just a rip off of greek and roman mythology and the vrykrul is a ripoff of norse mythology

So we get 7 emotions manifested and like i said if they named them gluttony, sloth it would be too obvious the fact the last one is pride is a dead give away
    The titans aren't just similarly named. They're also creators of worlds who are larger than life yet still somehow relatable. The Val'kyr aren't just similarly named, they're also winged females who bear the spirits of the brave dead to a new life (ok, the val'kyr don't exactly take you someplace you'd really want to go, but still). The Old Gods aren't just namesakes of Cthulu, they're also the unknowable horrors from beyond that cannot be killed and drive men to insanity.

With the Sha and the deadly sins, we can get one common name, one similar name, and an equal number count. The deadly sins might well have been an inspiration, but it's not a ripoff anymore than WoW ripped off tolkein by having elves, dwarves, and wizards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why is the Sha of Pride the strongest of all sha?

This got me thinking while fighting the other shas on my alts

With the other shas fear, hatred, despair all of those are strong emotions that cause a enemy to panic, come enraged or just wilt with despair but how can pride defeat a enemy

I mean what is the sha of pride gonna do to me when i face him make me more prideful?

I know blizz is just ripping of the Seven deadly sins which says pride is the worst but how can a manifest of pride be such a danger?
    The other emotions are well known and can be warded against and banished forever. Pride however, is central to one's persona, and is at the foundation of the ego, so a constant battle must be fought. It is the most insidious as the pandaren emperor said because it arises after each accomplishment one sees.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    The Sha aren't the deadly sins. At all. Leave Pride aside for the moment and look at the way the other 6 sha compare to the other 6 deadly sins. One of the things that makes the deadly sins so deadly is that in small quantities or at first, they can be beneficial. We all eat and feel hunger, which is the smallest most remote origin of gluttony.... but it's only when you overindulge that it becomes a problem. Everyone needs to relax and unwind once in a while; not only for fun, but because they will be more productive when they go back to work... but when it overtakes all else and becomes sloth, it ceases to be beneficial and becomes detrimental.

Go down the list, and every one of the deadly sins is something that, at the right time and at the right place, could be useful. That's why they're deadly: they're seductive, and you don't fall to them all at once. You fall to them step by step, easily justifying every step along the way, until one day you realize how far you've come.

Fear? Despair? Violence? Hatred? None of these comes even close to meeting those criteria. They may have some extraordinarily limited use in rare situations, but even then there are better ways. Caution serves much better than fear, despair is never useful, Violence is (ideally) useful only as a last resort and even then depends on the sides being unable to talk or leave each other alone, hatred is never useful, and doubt is never useful (rational skepticism is, but not doubt as represented by the Sha). Anger is the only one of the sha other than Pride that I could say serves a purpose in limited form. All the rest are not temptations to be resisted and lived with, but negativity to be banished and left behind, with no remnant.

There are seven sins and seven sha, and both lists include Pride and a form of anger/wrath. That's really as far as the similarities go, and that's not far enough to make me think they're trying to make the sha any kind of reference.
    Maybe its my cynicism but its hard not to point out the similarity

I also know that sha means evil spirit in chinese but to deny that the seven deadly sins did not inspire the sha in the wow universe is absurd to me its like saying the ramkahen was noway inspired by ancient Egypt

Well, then do the following experiment: Try and elaborate on the various similarities. It may give you ways to realise why we don't think the comparison fits, and it might help us understand why you think it does, so both sides would win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorine View Post
    Sha of Despair - sloth, apathy
    Apathy is quite the opposite. You can't despair if you're apathic, because you wouldn't have anything to despair over since you don't actually give a crap what's going on.
    Sloth doesn't fit either, as it describes a lack of will or interest in acting, while despair is a lack of belief that acting will have any (positive) effect. Despair may lead to sloth, but it is not sloth itself.

As for Wrath, both Anger, Hatred and Violence semi fit, but that only makes it more obvious that they aren't really connected.
    Last edited by huth; 2013-06-14 at 01:32 PM.

Deleted
    Why is pride the strongest? Imagine a 12 year old kid being scared. You can probably easily comfort him. Even if his parents died, you'll probably be able to calm him down a bit.

Now imagine a 12 year old that has won several times in a row in Counterstrike because his friends secretly are helping him. No matter how hard you try, you won't be able to convince him when you meet him at school that he sucks. In fact, the more you try to show him that he's actually bad, the more you'll feed his anger and the more he will defend his pride.

No one wants to defend their own anger, fear, despair, hatred, doubt, violence, but their pride... The pride will be defended until the last little bit of it is gone.

See why pride is the deadliest? It's by far the hardest to remove.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Straamibuu View Post
    Maybe because it's the strongest "Sha" emotion present in WoW Players? The Player's are fuelling it oO
    That goes without saysing.

I've seen tons of threads on official forums, elitists crying that they should remove LFR and that Garrosh souldn't be accessible to LFR players.

How prideful can you be? =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Good question op, i suggest check the recent Turkish protests against Prime Minister.

Answers a lot of questions actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unlike other sha-tied emotions not-named pride (e.g fear, doubt, hatred, etc), pride is more deceptive to the victim. You may think it's good to be full of pride at first, yet without some serious self-introspection pride can corrupt the deepest compared to the other sha-tied emotions. Even then you may even still think it's all good!

Looking at Garrosh, he's too prideful of himself thinking that the 'true horde' is the greatest above all other factions, and hell even discriminating their own horde-kin 'unbelievers' such as some of the goblins or blood elves. Thanks to his pride he's done even more dick moves throughout Mists of Pandaria such as busting holes open in the Vale, nearly killing Anduin (Varian's sure as hell is pissed) or indirectly nearly killing Vol'jin the Troll racial leader, which is why Horde and Alliance have no reason to not kill him. See? Pride's done the most damage compared to the other Sha, in which the Sha of Pride's influence extends to even outside Pandaria! This refers back to Shaohao's statement that the Sha of Pride can potentially be more dangerous than the other 6 Sha combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I can hear lorewalker cho saying "by zandalari voice he was opressed !! By zandalari hands, he was molested !!!"
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=60518

Deleted

The Dark side weren't proud, and that's why they failed, and so it is with the Sha.

Deleted
    Fear? Despair? Violence? Hatred? None of these comes even close to meeting those criteria.
    Nonsense. While I agree you can't compare the Sha to the 7 deadly sins, you say those 4 things are bad is flat out wrong. Fear stops us from doing something stupid like running out in front of a car or jumping off a cliff & violence and hatred can lead to positive action taken against an injustice.

Because it is the most subtle of them all, also while the others are just plain bad pride is good until it is bad which makes it the most dangerous.

Consider just how much Pride was fed during the Pandaria campaign, specially by Garrosh. Everything he does is out of pride for the Horde, for its heritage, for what his father did, etc. He's too proud to see he's wrong about anything, and he has waged an incredibly destructive war and done terrible things in the name of that blind sense that the Horde is not only superior, but the rightful owner of Azeroth. It's no wonder the Sha of Pride is so strong in Pandaria.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

And the even simpler point is that the sha are based on emotions, and the deadly sins are just that, sins. They're deliberate actions you have to take. Or more specifically, they're the deliberate embrace of negative emotions. Our language sometimes does a poor job of separating the root emotion from the action (as in lust and pride), but that doesn't mean they aren't two conceptually different things.

because people often reject the other ones for a while before or after feeling them. as for pride, it's usually accepted by the "host".

"it is good, until it's bad"

shaohao himself admits that the reason pandaria stayed locked outside the reach of the rest of the world was because he was too proud and thought they could sort their problems alone and leave the rest of the world to deal with their own problems. his pride had lasting consequences for 10000 years! I'd say pride can be pretty powerful lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.