Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade View Post
    The 'Once per 24 hours online' policy they have right now only affects you if you have:
    a: no internet at home
    Us folks who spend a lot of time on the Internet really take our ever-present Internet connections for granted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixark View Post
    On the video games forums? Nooooo...

and *already.
    Pretty sure he means you should have just posted this in the Xbox one megathread, rather than start a new thread. Also, I would look at the forum guidelines on being a spelling nazi.

That's what you get for naming it "one" instead of something larger than 360

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Think of the PS3 launch, it was the opposite, everyone thinking the PS3 would fail miserably, look where it is today. Things will change, obviously.
    True, but M$ has shown that they have no intention, for the time being anyway of reversing the stupid drm policies unlike sony who essentially did a 180 turn and that's what's gotten the ps3 to where it is today.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Rixark View Post
    Do you think they would change the policies? I know the internet only counts for a portion of the consumer base, but it's been pretty apparent that Microsoft is losing this console war pretty bad. Being a long time Xbox 360 player, and a fan of Xbox Exclusives, I'd hope so. Also the Xbox controller is just better. But I'm not putting up with all the DRM stuff.
    If you don't like the PS4 controller, you can always buy one of these.

Saw this picture on the gaming reddit, they were at E3 apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post

Saw this picture on the gaming reddit, they were at E3 apparently.
    That there, is a sexy controller. USB... works on PC as well maybe? I do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Third, with the XB1's Game-DRM and online connection functions, what's stopping them from providing customers with a complete library of purchasable and downloadable games online? If they end up doing that, then Gamestop will have to lower its price or lose a significant number of sales.
    This is not true at all. Digital distribution is not a way for companies to give gamers games at cheaper prices and has not created that situation on PC, it's a way for them to cut distribution costs and increase profit margins. Even sales like Steam's aren't for the sake of giving gamers better prices, they're discriminatory pricing for the sake of maximizing profit and getting purchases that wouldn't have happened otherwise. The only thing digital distribution allows is a lower minimum price in those sales in order for it to still be profitable to sell them.

If you don't think retail companies have the muscle to keep digital distribution from being allowed to undercut them you're delusional.
    Last edited by Xenofreak; 2013-06-15 at 03:35 PM.

To those talking about the fact that most of us do infact have internet 99% of the time. Think of what happens when servers crash for whatever reason, ala diablo 3 and sim city 5. Diablo still has plenty of issues, I know because I cannot even connect to the damn game and I'm not alone, if you look at the forums there are plenty of complaints.

My point is that I'm more concerned about what could and inevitably will happen server-side, at which point the xbone just becomes an expensive dvd/bluray player.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Pretty much everything Microsoft has done the past 5 years has been a disaster.

Since Windows 7 everything has been terrible. Windows 8 is a giangitc joke, Visual Studio 2012 is the ugliest, most bizarre piece of software I've ever seen, same story with the new version of office, and now the XBoner screw up.

I hope it bombs, maybe that will bring them back to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    This is not true at all. Digital distribution is not a way for companies to give gamers games at cheaper prices and has not created that situation on PC, it's a way for them to cut distribution costs and increase profit margins. Even sales like Steam's aren't for the sake of giving gamers better prices, they're discriminatory pricing for the sake of maximizing profit and getting purchases that wouldn't have happened otherwise. The only thing digital distribution allows is a lower minimum price in those sales in order for it to still be profitable to sell them.

If you don't think retail companies have the muscle to keep digital distribution from being allowed to undercut them you're delusional.
    By the same token though, those higher profit margins still benefit us in the end. Higher profit margins means that a game doesn't have to move as many units to be considered 'successful,' which means more studios stay in business and produce games.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    My point is that I'm more concerned about what could and inevitably will happen server-side, at which point the xbone just becomes an expensive dvd/bluray player.
    More important question is, will those games still work 10 years later, or will those servers just be shut down and you'll never be able to play those games again? People talk about this fear with steam all the time, but it's about 10x worse with the xbone because that is a platform that in and of itself will become obsolete and shut down in the future.

By the same token though, those higher profit margins still benefit us in the end. Higher profit margins means that a game doesn't have to move as many units to be considered 'successful,' which means more studios stay in business and produce games.
    That doesn't really have anything to do with what I was replying to, but yes, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    More important question is, will those games still work 10 years later, or will those servers just be shut down and you'll never be able to play those games again? People talk about this fear with steam all the time, but it's about 10x worse with the xbone because that is a platform that in and of itself will become obsolete and shut down in the future.
    Chances are that at the point the console reaches where its authentication servers were taken offline, then Microsoft would most likely distribute a patch that would allow for unlimited offline play.

A ton of 360 owners are very casual. I'd imagine a huge number of them don't even use the online capability at all.

I fully expect there to be tons of people who just randomly buy an Xbox One thinking "Oh the next Xbox" and then get it home and figure out they can't use it without it being online and get super pissed off and returning it.

The Xbox One will sell millions of units of course, but I think PS4 will sell far more.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Think of the PS3 launch, it was the opposite, everyone thinking the PS3 would fail miserably, look where it is today. Things will change, obviously.
    Honestly, the saving grace of that system was the Blue-Ray winning the format wars... and this is coming from a Playstation Fan. :P

And it didn't "come back" by any means, compared to its market hold via the PS1 and PS2....

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade View Post
    The 'Once per 24 hours online' policy they have right now only affects you if you have:
    a: no internet at home
    b: your internet goes out for more than 24 hours
    -snip-.
    c: if the Microsoft servers bork up
    d: if you take your Xbox One anywhere else than your ip address
    e: if you get an xbox one outside your region code (many regions won't get it. Including Poland, which ironically is where Witcher 3 is being developed)
    f: if Microsoft discontinues any form of Xbox Live in future
    g: your internet goes out BEFORE you get a chance to log in...
    h: You're off on combat duty somewhere else in the world (not just at home)

...and this is also EXCLUDING the games that will be, in future, utilizing the cloud streaming service that MS is encouraging - which requires an ALWAYS ON internet connection to even play... nevermind playing offline.

The mere fact that we're even discussing this idea of requiring a 24 hour login is wrong because it's so damn unnecessary.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    A ton of 360 owners are very casual. I'd imagine a huge number of them don't even use the online capability at all.

I fully expect there to be tons of people who just randomly buy an Xbox One thinking "Oh the next Xbox" and then get it home and figure out they can't use it without it being online and get super pissed off and returning it.

The Xbox One will sell millions of units of course, but I think PS4 will sell far more.
    Gamestop is doing their best to cover their asses and informing the public:

They're handing out flyers right now, informing the customer of the Xbox One restrictions.
    http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/06/g...-restrictions/

Honestly this isn't so much them "standing up to the man" as it is them having to cover their asses if people buy the Xbone games and turn them in and are offered 25 cents for their Xbone game vs the customer next to them who gets $5-$10 bucks for his.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Honestly, the saving grace of that system was the Blue-Ray winning the format wars... and this is coming from a Playstation Fan. :P

And it didn't "come back" by any means, compared to its market hold via the PS1 and PS2....
    To the PS3's credit, it wasn't a bad system at launch by any means. It just had a rough start with its higher price tag, how late it came in compared to the 360 and the rather shitty games that were their launch titles.

Compare that to the One, which seems like Microsoft is actually trying to piss off their consumer base...
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    To the PS3's credit, it wasn't a bad system at launch by any means. It just had a rough start with its higher price tag, how late it came in compared to the 360 and the rather shitty games that were their launch titles.

Compare that to the One, which seems like Microsoft is actually trying to piss off their consumer base...
    Its price tag is really what made it a bad system at launch. The price was obscene, people simply weren't willing to pay that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    To those talking about the fact that most of us do infact have internet 99% of the time. Think of what happens when servers crash for whatever reason, ala diablo 3 and sim city 5. Diablo still has plenty of issues, I know because I cannot even connect to the damn game and I'm not alone, if you look at the forums there are plenty of complaints.

Then you go take a shit, get a shower or step outside for maby the hour that the servers are down. This is no different from a mmo that alot of us play. Stop acting like random server outage is GASTLY and not fathathomable.

c: if the Microsoft servers bork up
    d: if you take your Xbox One anywhere else than your ip address
    e: if you get an xbox one outside your region code (many regions won't get it. Including Poland, which ironically is where Witcher 3 is being developed)
    f: if Microsoft discontinues any form of Xbox Live in future
    g: your internet goes out BEFORE you get a chance to log in...
    h: You're off on combat duty somewhere else in the world (not just at home)
    Why not add the end of the world to that list of what ifs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Then you go take a shit, get a shower or step outside for maby the hour that the servers are down. This is no different from a mmo that alot of us play. Stop acting like random server outage is GASTLY and not fathathomable.
    We are being asked to buy a console, not an MMO. Let's not pretend like the two are even close to the same thing. They aren't.

Deleted
    SADLY it's not going to bomb. I wish it would, but it won't. Americans will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post

Why not add the end of the world to that list of what ifs.
    Yes, the end of the world is in the same category as bringing your xbox some where else.
    Hi Sephurik