10+ Year Old Account
    University: Flagstaff, AZ Summer: Phoenix, AZ

What takes more skill, MOBA (DotA/HoN/LoL) or WoW?

I know it's a ridiculous question, and it's not really important, got it. But a friend and myself have an ongoing argument over which game takes more skill at the highest echelons of competitive play. It's really just a fun debate that is continuously escalating, and I really hate to lose arguments like this. Problem is I am unfamiliar with the higher end play of moba's, and I'm running out of conversational topics. I'd just like to see what kind of input other people can put in on this topic, preferably from people that have experience on both sides of the fence, or just spark a conversation on this site so I can get some ideas to throw at him the next time he brings the topic up.

I looked around a little bit to see if this topic has been done before and couldn't find anything. If I'm wrong I apologize. Thank you all in advance for your time and contributions.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

I like Caesar salads. I'll be the first to admit it. But what I really can't stand is a salad with way too much dressing on it. It really ruins the salad.

Your post is so drenched in frustration and sarcasm that it's really ruining my salad.

Deleted
    At high end pvp in WoW where gear etc is all the same, then it's all about skills and a lot of it

while at high end MOBA it's all about team communication and working together as a team

10+ Year Old Account
    Different skillsets for each gamestyle.

MOBA's, From what I know of wow high end pvp, admittedly it isnt much but I've talked to people who have done it etc. It's all macro's and stuff. Making the skillset largely the same, the only difference would be the level of team work/things to worry about.

And overall I would say MOBA's, in moba's you all start at roughly the same deal. like I personally know the skills of every champion in LoL just from experience of playing, thats 110 skills, along with 110+ different builds that I know as well as when to dodge spells etc. However in wow theres now what, 12 classes? I'm not even sure how many skills it would be once you take into account how homogenized the classes are now along with how people macro everything.

On top of that everyone starts level 1 in moba's in a match, and its largely about teamwork as someone said. Now all of this is largely just opinion but I'd say there was alot more teamwork in moba's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    You can trust me. I just flop around like a fish until I decide what I want to believe, then I tell people they are wrong for thinking some other way. It works for me.
    Words of wisdom if I have ever heard any.

dota is harder to be good at than wow from my experience

ive been raiding top50 world and 2400 rating in last season of wotlk

cant play dota for shit even though i try

The skillcap of MOBAs is muuuuuuch higher than anything WoW has to offer again.

SC2 is much harder than anything MOBAs has to offer again though
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Same as asking "Which is harder: Golfing or Hockey?". Different games, very different styles. Even the whole "PvE vs PvP" is futile and it's within the very same game.

10+ Year Old Account
    LoL is relatively easier for players to get a grasp at the game

HoN requires that you need to know your shit

Dota is the same as HoN

WoW end gameplay requires you need to know your shit

All of these still have in common that it requires team work, you can't really classify which one is harder because they are different from each other.

I wouldn't look at LoL when trying to compare skill levels as that game is utter trash compared to DOTA or HoN.

I've had a lot of high end experience with raiding and PvP in WoW (Top 5 US/Multiple Glad Titles) and have played DOTA since 2004-2005 at a reasonable high level. Both games at high end require the same amount of team communication which you can see most of the time if you watch any of the high rated arena streamers how much they communicate even the smallest of things, it's the exact same in any MOBA's, calling misses on a lane, warding runes, but in regards to which takes more skill it's of course going to MOBA games as A) the team size is bigger 5v5 in WoW is garbage and isn't the same so there is more communication needed, B) you draft your heroes which can play a big deal in the end - drafting stages are usually the most important part of the game that's why they take so long if you've ever watched a pro DOTA game.

p.s LoL having summoner spells, runes and all that crap dosnt make it take more skill

Dota gets my vote.

IMO different kinds of skill for each game.

I would say mechanic wise both game are pretty equal and WoW maybe even harder with more skills but ARTS games have more aspects to master so I vote for ARTS taking a bit more skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    I would say mechanic wise both game are pretty equal and WoW maybe even harder with more skills but ARTS games have more aspects to master so I vote for ARTS taking a bit more skill.
    having more spells =/= harder game

Deleted
    dota >>>>>>>>>>>> WoW/LoL

Idk about hon

I have played wow upto 2.2 rating and Dota 2 currently matching making with High and very high pool.

I have also keeping track of both streams on twitch.tv .

Wow if u talk about arena i says its purely skills and communication also need a class comp according to patch etc..

Bgs in wow i will add strategy/ planning but its mostly same in every bg mostly repetitive after some point of time .

Now Dota 2 moba :

Game requires everything what i mentioned in wow but at much more extreme level .

Some player say moba as 4-5 spells per hero but there are like so many hero to master them

Deleted
    None of the games actually. They all require a great insight and accommodation coupled with plenty of time spent, which creates the impression of "skill".
    In the end, it's all bout reaction time and taking bold decision on the spot.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think that nothing good at all can come of this except heated arguments and bad feelings -- it's pretty much what we mean by 'no game vs game threads', even though you're asking about skill instead of the actual gameplay.