Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are prank calls legal in the US?

No one ever seems to give me a real answer. It's usually a simple "yes" or "no". But, I'd finally like to hear if it's legal or not and with reason for you to believe either way. If it is legal, is it legal to call Wendy's, McDonald's, the local Walmart or just that aunt you never really met. And yes, I am aware of existing laws about not threatening (even jokingly), not harassing and not holding up lines (as in calling at all without any real reason) suicide hotlines, police, hospitals or government offices.

I am also confused why people would say that it was illegal when there were(are?) TV shows that were purely about prank calling people/companies (Crank Yankers, for one). There are also radio stations and Youtube channels who do this regularly, and no one ever kicked down their door, arrests them or sues them.

Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    depends on the severity of the prank call, if you're calling in a bomb threat or something crime related, its a crime. If its something like impersonation or just trolling around, its not so much, unless you keep harassing the person, then its a crime....in general it makes you look like a kid. So i'd rather not do it.

There's no law that I'm aware of specifically making prank calls illegal. However, depending on what you do during the call you may break a few laws.

Im not American, but im fairly certain it differs from state to state. I think it is a form of harassment? I could ofcourse be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple pranks that don't cause damage beyond time lost probably are legal while at the same time being pointless, childish, wasteful, and foolish. Prank calls that cause actual damage (calling Pizza Hut and ordering 10 pizzas for someone else who doesn't want them) are illegal in most states.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    depends on the severity of the prank call, if you're calling in a bomb threat or something crime related, its a crime. If its something like impersonation or just trolling around, its not so much, unless you keep harassing the person, then its a crime....in general it makes you look like a kid. So i'd rather not do it.
    I feel like I should be insulted that you'd think someone could be so dumb, but that wouldn't be the first time it's happened... :\

15+ Year Old Account
    A radio station reported that dihydrogen monoxide was coming out of people's faucets and were given a citation for causing hysteria.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    I feel like I should be insulted that you'd think someone could be so dumb, but that wouldn't be the first time it's happened... :\
    i'm not saying you should be insulted, its a childish thing to do, such as throwing water balloons at cars or something of that matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't order 30 pizzas and have them delivered to that asshole you know.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had some fun with crank calls in my younger years. Made a few calls to fast food restaurants asking in a fake Asian voice if they had egg rolls. I had one guy cracking up on the phone as he told me egg rolls suck.

unless it's his phone you call from

10+ Year Old Account
    So long as it's not to 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    A radio station reported that dihydrogen monoxide was coming out of people's faucets and were given a citation for causing hysteria.
    1. Dihydrogen monoxide is water. People should just stop being stupid.
    2. Refer to my first post. I am not stupid. I understand harassment or fear laws and respect them.

---------- Post added 2013-06-16 at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    i'm not saying you should be insulted, its a childish thing to do, such as throwing water balloons at cars or something of that matter.
    It's a childish thing to do?

I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.
    -Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post

It's a childish thing to do?

I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.
    -Obama
    Are you really trying to say prank calls are not childish? Are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dihydrogen monoxide is water. People should just stop being stupid.
    Or they should use the actual public term instead of the scientific term and not try to be cute on April Fool's Day.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Are you really trying to say prank calls are not childish? Are you?
    look at who he quoted... i think its a safe bet hes joking
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

unless you call them over and over again then no

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a grey area but mostly case-by-case. 12-year-olds prank calling someone to tell them their fridge is running isn't harmful compared to assholes who order 1000 pizzas to the middle of fucking nowhere. If it costs a company a lot of time, labor, and effort you'll get into deeper trouble if caught. That and threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

the only thing they can likely charge you with is harassment or threatening violence.

i doubt they're illegal. done a few with a friend of mine a long while back, asking about a baby bed for her daughter that got pregnant after her dad got semen on the toilet seat by accident. my friend has a strong southern accent too, made it fit perfectly.

just don't order food and shit, that would probably be illegal.