10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Somehow I have a great fear for the Next Mass Effect game, since it is done also by Bioware and also features open world...
    Who said ME4 was going to be open world? There is a new sci-fi game in development that will be open world, but it is done by CDProjekt, not by Bioware.

If they make ME4 into an open world game or, even worse, a MMO, I will start a holy crusade against EA. They slaughtered KotoR, they threw away Neverwinter Nights, they made Dragon Age into story-based Skyrim - if they dare do something like this to my favorite franchise, Mass Effect, even the Maker will tremble before my wrath!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bioware themselves said it will be open world, with all the "exploration focus", "mako return"
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Bioware themselves said it will be open world, with all the "exploration focus", "mako return"
    Well, 'tis alarming... I hope it simply means that we will have a lot of planets to explore as in ME1, but the storyline will be as important as ever.

P.S. Gratz for the 10,000th post!
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account

Must admit I was expecting more. Honestly though I'm still happy DAI wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. Hopefully the next DLC will be better.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Must admit I was expecting more. Honestly though I'm still happy DAI wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. Hopefully the next DLC will be better.
    I'm still hoping they're release an Awakenings sized expac for DAI. I know Awakenings was a huge loss for BW... But damnit man DAI deserves it .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Wait. The next mass effect is open world?! Ok now I'm worried, oh Skyrim what hath thou done to my bioware.
    Skyrim did nothing, DA:I is very clearly single player WoW. You move through level guided zones, doing basic MMO grind quests to level.

Skyrim points you at places with the main questline, but how you get between them, and what you do in between is totally up to you. The quests are more interesting to find, and much more random. With only a couple kill quests. If only DA:I was like Skyrim.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2015-03-25 at 02:44 AM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Skyrim did nothing, DA:I is very clearly single player WoW. You move through level guided zones, doing basic MMO grind quests to level.

Skyrim points you at places with the main questline, but how you get between them, and what you do in between is totally up to you. The quests are more interesting to find, and much more random. With only a couple kill quests. If only DA:I was like Skyrim.
    I see it differently. DAI is an open world game, with lots of grind quests common for this kind of games, but it also has an immersing story line, interesting conversations, lots of lore and so on. Skyrim, on the other hand, is just a generic open world game where you do stuff just because it is there to do, not because it has anything to do with the lore or the story... If you can even call what there is in Skyrim a story.

"Single player WoW" is a term beyond my comprehension... I really don't understand how you can compare two exactly opposite game types.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

They said while making it that they were taking inspiration for skyrim, they just did it wrong.

The biggest issue with DA:I for me is that just as the story begins to pick up it's all over. Major events just sort of happen without much foreshadowing too which is a shame. I did love all the intrigue surrounding Orlais though - it's just a shame that you don't get to meet any of the characters from the Winter Palace before the quest that takes place there.

Deleted
    WoW did not invent quests, levels, nor grinding.
    Do you know why WoW was structured that way? Because every RPG ever works that way...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    Because every RPG ever works that way...
    WoW made it "popular", and since noone was around to remember EverQuest..

Skyrim on the other hand made the sandbox revolution.

Although the Witcher seems to have tossed that to the curb. I seem to recall hearing no fetch quests.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2015-03-25 at 11:04 AM.

It makes me wonder how The Witcher 3 will compare to Skyrim and DA:I.

I hope it really shakes up the genre and forces other future games to have more meat and less filler.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Who said ME4 was going to be open world? There is a new sci-fi game in development that will be open world, but it is done by CDProjekt, not by Bioware.

If they make ME4 into an open world game or, even worse, a MMO, I will start a holy crusade against EA. They slaughtered KotoR, they threw away Neverwinter Nights, they made Dragon Age into story-based Skyrim - if they dare do something like this to my favorite franchise, Mass Effect, even the Maker will tremble before my wrath!
    Seriously if BW should dare to turn ME4 into an open world space Skyrim I will call in my Cerberus forces to terminate BW and EA. I mean I'm still mad at how they turned Cerberus from "kinda evil but still saving and protecting humanity" in ME2 to "outright evil guys that abduct and kill humans" just because they needed a secondary antagonist in ME3. What they have done to Cerberus in ME3 is inexcusable but turning ME4 into an open world space Skyrim would really cause me to never buy a single BW game again and to hate them forever.

10+ Year Old Account

Agreed, they kind of missed the mark about why people like games like skyrim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Agreed, they kind of missed the mark about why people like games like skyrim.
    Aye, it's like they looked at skyrim, went "OPEN WORLD" and got it all wrong. They gated the main quest behind power and levels so you'd HAVE to do the open world content and made the rest of the world shallow and boring without the freedom skyrim enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Skyrim on the other hand made the sandbox revolution.
    Skyrim is not a sandbox

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, it's like they looked at skyrim, went "OPEN WORLD" and got it all wrong. They gated the main quest behind power and levels so you'd HAVE to do the open world content and made the rest of the world shallow and boring without the freedom skyrim enjoyed.
    You barely have to do that much open world content. I did everything in my playthrough to get the Platinum trophy and I was consistently 3+ levels higher than the main quests and I had more than enough power. Also long as you aren't playing on Nightmare, you can do very little open world stuff and get through the main story quest without worrying about power or being underleveled. Also, since you don't have to do that much open world stuff it doesn't get boring.

I think many of the problems that DA:I has come from being overambitious as well as being held back by last generation. Especially considering things like Keep defense was cut, which makes me wonder what else had to be cut.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a part of the problem with the design is that the player is too tied down to a single organisation and faction in order to truly have a coherent narrative to the inquisition instead of being given full freedom.

In skyrim its recommended that the player at least does whiterun so dragons start spawning but after that its entirely left up to the player about when, how and in what order absolutely everything is done along with a world that didn't feel overdesigned.

A subjective opinion of mine but I also think first person action based gameplay lends itself much better to a medieval open world rpg.
    Last edited by zealo; 2015-03-25 at 04:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Skyrim is not a sandbox
    Must have been mislead by all that fake free-roam.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    In skyrim its recommended that the player at least does whiterun so dragons start spawning
    Would have been great if dragons could attack you while you were hightailing it away from Alduin at the start.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2015-03-25 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would have been great if dragons could attack you while you were hightailing it away from Alduin at the start.
    You should try the thomas the tank mod, it replace Alduin and other dragons with a locomotive, its absolutely terrifying.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNaTZV8qS1I