Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Used Games and AAA Games are Incompatible? Good!

I'm sure the title caught your eye as it did mine. Here is a great article that big production costs are the problem with games, not the ability to resell:
    http://www.destructoid.com/used-game...--256227.phtml

Bleszinski loses his point as long as companies like 4A and CD Projekt exist.
    Companies from countries that have no tradition in video game production or many experienced developers, that don't have nearly the support or funding that other companies have, yet they are able to produce amazing AAA games.

Great article. This is something I've been saying for a while now. Piracy and used game markets aren't killing the industry. It's people making poor choices with marketing and budgets that cause games to fail even though they sell millions of copies. There is something VERY wrong there. And, as stated in the article, smaller companies still make great games, beautiful games, and successful games. That shows that it can be done without spending millions and millions of dollars. A lot of time, those games tend to be better anyway (in my opinion). Unfortunately, it's so much easier to blame other factors on why a game failed, despite the problem being so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    I'm sure the title caught your eye as it did mine. Here is a great article that big production costs are the problem with games, not the ability to resell:
    http://www.destructoid.com/used-game...--256227.phtml
    I'll say it once, I'll say it again - that's not good business... that's gambling.

Their fault for treating the industry like a one-shot craps table in Vegas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally I had hoped that they wouldn't try to reuse excuses. Sorry, you already blamed Piracy, try again. You've already blamed Used Games, try again. Maybe that way we could end with something interesting, like broccoli. I would be perfectly willing to blame vegetables for the problems the video games industry is facing.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Here's another great article from last year, more or less about the same subject

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...deo-expensive/

My greatest evidence as to why piracy and trading games isn't a problem is, ironically, summed up via two names.

Electronic Arts and Activision.

These companies have been started nearly 30 years ago... 30 years of piracy, of trading, of renting of games.

And yet, despite having gone through nearly 3 decades of that, they're now multi BILLION dollar companies today.

Deleted
    so because something makes a profit.. doesnt matter what its up against.. its okay and not that bad because its still turning a profit. Is that your arguement?

I actually like the idea of better games and giving early adopters 2 free dlc.. which comes in on week 4 and week 8 of release (take two playing with a similar idea..)
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-06-19 at 06:23 PM.

Nintendo said it best:
    Want used games to not be a problem? Make games so good that people don't want to give them up, then.

CDProjekt makes brilliant AAA titles and gives zero cares for both piracy and used games, they do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Nintendo said it best:
    Want used games to not be a problem? Make games so good that people don't want to give them up, then.

CDProjekt makes brilliant AAA titles and gives zero cares for both piracy and used games, they do it right.
    They were sending out letters to supposed Witcher 2 pirates demanding hundreds of Euro's after the game was released, but they backed down from that after a pretty big backlash from fans.

OT: Shitty business decisions and bad games have always been the biggest issue, not the rental or used games market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is one of Jim's vids on the topic.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Here is one of Jim's vids on the topic.

It always makes me laugh when sheep post this video like it adds something to this argument.

Publishers have made mistakes and need to improve, but to act like everything is their fault is just ridiculous.

I always have and always will buy new, because I actually care that my money, at least in some way, goes to the people who helped make it.

Bottom line is, if you buy lots of used games you don't give a damn about the videogame industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogie View Post
    It always makes me laugh when sheep post this video like it adds something to this argument.

Publishers have made mistakes and need to improve, but to act like everything is their fault is just ridiculous.

I always have and always will buy new, because I actually care that my money, at least in some way, goes to the people who helped make it.

Bottom line is, if you buy lots of used games you don't give a damn about the videogame industry.
    Why people believe they need to defend a billion dollar industry is just beyond me.
    Not sure if it's masochism or just a total lack of perception.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    Why people believe they need to defend a billion dollar industry is just beyond me.
    It's beyond me that people try and justify not supporting the thing they supposedly love.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can be bad but they're not super evil.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Trogie View Post
    It's beyond me that people try and justify not supporting the thing they supposedly love.
    I support tons of developers I like and buy tons of games I think are interesting. However I still do buy a used game on occasion. Why? Because it's a game that I can't find at a price point I want. If I don't think the game is worth the price it's being sold at, I'm not going to buy it anyways.

So I can support the industry that I love, and I do. But I also buy used games from time to time. And you know what? That's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    They can be bad but they're not super evil.
    Not trying to say they're some evil supervillian.
    But it's hard to find a reason to support a wasteful, excessive industry that's digging itself a hole yet expects others to pull it out.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

10+ Year Old Account
    Well a lot of them are:

Once they get some bad experience with company they turn agaist them.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Let's knock off the "sheep" comments guys. They're never productive.

Deleted
    Yeah guys. Stop being so...baaad.