Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What would happen if God was proven real?

Was thinking about this at work the other day while listening to Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken.

Would all religions unite now it was proven their was only one God? How would the Atheists react? It's actually quite hard to imagine how the world would change, because you have no idea how people are going to take the news.

Would people STILL not believe? Would seeing and hearing not be enough for some people? Would the billions of people who now believe in him, refuse to worship him due to resentment? (Not saving their loved ones, etc).

How many wars would break out determining to fight for his honour even though he does not ask for it?

Questions are endless, but what do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    There would still be extremists who'd stay believing in their own 'god'. I don't think there'd be much war now that God's real, afterall -most- religions are against killing/war are they not? As an Atheist I'd be surprised but I'd admit I was wrong and I guess go on living life normally.

Deleted
    I think people would question if he's really god or just something "???" If there is physical proof of something and you don't believe it you're rather stupid.
    But believing that God exists does not mean people will want to follow him, so Atheism would probably change a bit ( I think )

Deleted
    It would just be another opportunity for humanity to prove it's full of idiots.

I think Hell would be a rather nice place and carry on as before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

If there is God... First we would nuke heaven because they have a Weather control WMD. After which we would invade hell and bring them "democracy and freedom" so we could build a bunch of geothermal plants and fuel the world with POWAH!!!

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A huge can of worms would be opend on earth, inevitably someone had the right idea on how god wanted to be worshipped and the right way to live their life. I would imagine the people who where proven wrong would flip the heck out and fight to prove the validity of their beliefs.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you on about? Dennis Bergkamp is real.

You would have one religion proven right - if not some whole new thing - and then you would have all the other religions claiming it was their version of the devil trying to lead the rest astray.

The atheists would probably just become whatever religion whose god was proven right or check themselves into mental institutions because they thought they lost their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    How would the Atheists react?
    We would all go "Oh, guess I was wrong" and start say that there is a God. Since you know, the evidence would then support a God. Simple as that really.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was thinking about this at work the other day while listening to Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken.
    I am lost here, how come that book would prove God existence? It would actually prove God doesnt exist.

I think you are confusing things. A metaphysical God as Daniken put it would not be a God, it would just be an alien.

A supernatural God on the other hand, if he is proven as a physical being...I would sue him for being an ass and bringing so much pain in the world.

To be honest, even if the Christian "God" were proven to be 100% real the creator of all existence, there would still be:

A) Atheists and Agnostics.
    B) Many Christian denominations with different interpretations, beliefs, etc.
    C) Other religions skeptical of this "proof".
    D) The fundamentalists may become more zealous than ever and go so far as to preach divine mandate when it came to politics, economics, etc.
    E) People would use their belief structure and their "proof" to lead out genocidal warfare.

So... I honestly think little would actually change. Besides, if all else fails, just do a little prayer every now and then in preparation for your eventual or sudden death. Voila! The world goes on as usual.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

That really depends on if it was a God that a religion that currently exists believes in, or if it was something else altogether.

Very hard to say. Human society as a whole would probably be radically transformed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be shocked, but not so much as to lose who I am in order to please this being that's been absent most of my childhood/young adult life. I'd surely have some questions that would need answering, though.

Exactly what would happen would depend on which God(s)? I can't think of a single benevolent God, so I would probably be terrified & scared of this new supreme being with limitless power.

One thing is for sure, I (as a agnostic/atheist) would cease to be those things. I'm always willing to consider new ideas, if sufficient evidence exists.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I think most Atheists would still be neutral, and Islam, Jewish, and Christianity (along with each of the various splinter factions of the 3) would still fight over who's views of god is correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to see this god in person and make them prove it. Not no turn water into wine, but actually show me through special powers. Followed by many questions like "which religion is right? Is there an afterlife?" basically the entire population will either believe this guy and follow him while another portion will resent him because there's just people like that in this world who have to side against something for no logical reason.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't change anything for me, I still wouldn't care. As for the world, I'd expect war, anarchy, death and mass stupidity until one primary group is left and claims God as their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    A huge can of worms would be opend on earth, inevitably someone had the right idea on how god wanted to be worshipped and the right way to live their life. I would imagine the people who where proven wrong would flip the heck out and fight to prove the validity of their beliefs.
    I don't think that should be a forgone conclusion – God could just as easily appear and tell everyone they've all flunked the test and that no one got the right answer.

Deleted

Would all religions unite now it was proven their was only one God?
    Which God?

Even withing Christianity, there are so many different versions of Him. And Christianity is only one branch of a family of mono-theisms.

Would people STILL not believe? Would seeing and hearing not be enough for some people?
    That is nonsensical. If something is proven, it does not require belief.

On the other hand, some people hear God talking in their head, others see Him in a baked cheese sandwich - I'm not kidding.

Do you consider those things proof?